Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server? - Embedded ; Here is an update: I have been searching and have found that there is already a distribution specifically oriented to the Epia processor: http://www.epios.net/ This distribution is based on Gentoo, so it makes a lot of sense. However by looking ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36

  1. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    Here is an update:

    I have been searching and have found that there is already a
    distribution specifically oriented to the Epia processor:
    http://www.epios.net/
    This distribution is based on Gentoo, so it makes a lot of sense.

    However by looking at the website it seems that it is still very green:
    the website only contains a forum but no "home" or "about" page, and
    after reading some of its posts I think that the distribution is still
    in beta phase.

    Regards,

    Luis.

  2. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 02:56:11 -0800, Luis wrote:

    > Here is an update:
    >
    > I have been searching and have found that there is already a distribution
    > specifically oriented to the Epia processor: http://www.epios.net/
    > This distribution is based on Gentoo, so it makes a lot of sense.
    >
    > However by looking at the website it seems that it is still very green:
    > the website only contains a forum but no "home" or "about" page, and after
    > reading some of its posts I think that the distribution is still in beta
    > phase.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Luis.

    Have you already bought your system? If you haven't why don't you get a
    AMD64 based system. With Cool & Quiet the cooling fan on the Athlon 64
    hardly every runs, a Turion will run even cooler. If you get an A64 system
    you'll be able to run any distribution you want.

  3. Re: Crossposting and followups (Was: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?)

    In article news:<44258D22.4E8A973B@yahoo.com>, CBFalconer wrote:
    > If they choose not to go to the follow-up group, that is their
    > choice. However if their group is inundated with off-topic
    > postings originating in the other groups, that is not their fault,

    Yabbut ... the postings will NOT be off-topic if the original posting was
    appropriately cross-posted. If the original poster posted to disparate
    groups in some of which his posting was off-topic he is hardly likely to
    have set a followup.

    By all means set followups or (much better, IMHO) trim groups as and when
    the topic drifts. that's an entirely different matter.

    Enough, already.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  4. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 02:56:11 -0800, Luis wrote:
    >
    >> Here is an update:
    >>
    >> I have been searching and have found that there is already a
    >> distribution specifically oriented to the Epia processor:
    >> http://www.epios.net/
    >> This distribution is based on Gentoo, so it makes a lot of sense.
    >>
    >> However by looking at the website it seems that it is still very
    >> green: the website only contains a forum but no "home" or "about"
    >> page, and after reading some of its posts I think that the
    >> distribution is still in beta phase.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Luis.

    > Have you already bought your system? If you haven't why don't you get
    > a AMD64 based system. With Cool & Quiet the cooling fan on the Athlon
    > 64 hardly every runs, a Turion will run even cooler. If you get an
    > A64 system you'll be able to run any distribution you want.

    I've had a few.... adventures getting 64-bit versions of some applications,
    and been publishing notes back to the driver and software authors on how to
    get stuff to work under 64-bit for 18 months now. In general, they're pretty
    sweet and I can recommend them for high performance systems with very modest
    power demands.

  5. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:06:20 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 02:56:11 -0800, Luis wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here is an update:
    >>>
    >>> I have been searching and have found that there is already a
    >>> distribution specifically oriented to the Epia processor:
    >>> http://www.epios.net/
    >>> This distribution is based on Gentoo, so it makes a lot of sense.
    >>>
    >>> However by looking at the website it seems that it is still very green:
    >>> the website only contains a forum but no "home" or "about" page, and
    >>> after reading some of its posts I think that the distribution is still
    >>> in beta phase.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Luis.

    >> Have you already bought your system? If you haven't why don't you get a
    >> AMD64 based system. With Cool & Quiet the cooling fan on the Athlon 64
    >> hardly every runs, a Turion will run even cooler. If you get an A64
    >> system you'll be able to run any distribution you want.

    > I've had a few.... adventures getting 64-bit versions of some
    > applications, and been publishing notes back to the driver and software
    > authors on how to get stuff to work under 64-bit for 18 months now. In
    > general, they're pretty sweet and I can recommend them for high
    > performance systems with very modest power demands.

    You don't need to run a 64 bit distro on a A64 system, I run 32 bit FC(4
    & 5) on two of my A64s and 64 bit FC4 on my X2 4400+.

  6. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 06:41:09 -0500, General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    > On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 02:56:11 -0800, Luis wrote:
    >
    >> Here is an update:
    >>
    >> I have been searching and have found that there is already a distribution
    >> specifically oriented to the Epia processor: http://www.epios.net/
    >> This distribution is based on Gentoo, so it makes a lot of sense.
    >>
    >> However by looking at the website it seems that it is still very green:
    >> the website only contains a forum but no "home" or "about" page, and after
    >> reading some of its posts I think that the distribution is still in beta
    >> phase.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Luis.

    > Have you already bought your system? If you haven't why don't you get a
    > AMD64 based system. With Cool & Quiet the cooling fan on the Athlon 64
    > hardly every runs, a Turion will run even cooler. If you get an A64 system
    > you'll be able to run any distribution you want.

    Some of us are also attracted to the small footprint.

  7. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 09:52:07 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > But why waste the money/resources on a
    > 64-bit system and then not use it for 64-bit?

    This is a misperception. The cheapest Sempron 64s are now similarly
    priced to the cheapest Celerons, and the motherboards for them are
    generally slightly cheaper.

    So the price advantage is with 64-bit, and you have the choice of OS
    bytewidth.
    --
    mark south; echo znexfbhgu2000@lnubb.pb.hx|tr a-z n-za-m
    "I can trace my ancestry back to a protoplasmal primordial atomic

  8. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >64 bit
    >programs are frequently slower than the 32 bit versions. If the data set
    >is primarily integer or pointers then there will be a significant slow
    >down when you run in 64 bits because the memory bandwidth is effectively
    >cut in half (think of the bandwidth in terms of integers/second as opposed
    >to bytes/second and you'll see that this is obviously true). If a
    >program is operating on floating point numbers then it can be faster in 64
    >bits then in 32 bits because the memory bandwidth for FP numbers is the
    >same for 32 and 64 bit modes and the 64 bit mode has extra registers which
    >will speed things up a little.

    Aren't FP numbers on X86 processors 80 bits, not 64 bits?

  9. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > It's not throwing away any power, the only reason to run 64 bits is if you
    > need more that 4G of memory ...

    The 64 Bit AMD architecture (that has been licensed by Intel for the new
    64 bit chips has a completely different CPU structure in 64 Bit mode: a
    RISK-like large flat 64 bit register set. So a programmer or compiler
    can write code running much faster at the same clock that if using 32
    Bit mode.

    -Michael

  10. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 09:52:07 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >
    >> But why waste the money/resources on a
    >> 64-bit system and then not use it for 64-bit?

    > This is a misperception. The cheapest Sempron 64s are now similarly
    > priced to the cheapest Celerons, and the motherboards for them are
    > generally slightly cheaper.
    >
    > So the price advantage is with 64-bit, and you have the choice of OS
    > bytewidth.

    Excuse me: that's not what I meant. . I don't dispute that a 64-bit AMD CPU
    may match a 32-bit Intel CPU in speed and 32-bit performance. But why not
    enable the extra features, especially if you're doing graphics or floating
    point processing? More bits tends to really help graphical and number
    crunching performance, and if it's not too tough to get the operations
    converted to 64-bit, it can take a bit of work, but go for it!

  11. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 16:12:17 +0000, me wrote:
    >
    >> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >>
    >>>64 bit
    >>>programs are frequently slower than the 32 bit versions. If the data set
    >>>is primarily integer or pointers then there will be a significant slow
    >>>down when you run in 64 bits because the memory bandwidth is effectively
    >>>cut in half (think of the bandwidth in terms of integers/second as
    >>>opposed to bytes/second and you'll see that this is obviously true). If a
    >>>program is operating on floating point numbers then it can be faster in
    >>>64 bits then in 32 bits because the memory bandwidth for FP numbers is
    >>>the same for 32 and 64 bit modes and the 64 bit mode has extra registers
    >>>which will speed things up a little.

    >> Aren't FP numbers on X86 processors 80 bits, not 64 bits?

    >x86s support IEEE 32, 64, and 80 bit FP arithmetic, most programs use 32
    >or 64 bit FP.

    Isn't it true that the native mode of all X86 coprocessors since the
    original 8087 has always been 80 bit, and that programs have to jump
    through hoops, see reduced performance, and suffer from less precision
    and/or range if they force the X86 to use 64-bit floats?

  12. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    > Excuse me: that's not what I meant. . I don't dispute that a 64-bit AMD CPU
    > may match a 32-bit Intel CPU in speed and 32-bit performance. But why not
    > enable the extra features, especially if you're doing graphics or floating
    > point processing? More bits tends to really help graphical and number
    > crunching performance, and if it's not too tough to get the operations
    > converted to 64-bit, it can take a bit of work, but go for it!

    Is it possible to run 64 Bit user programs in a 32 Bit OS ? (The OS
    needs to save the 64 bit registers when scheduling ...)

    -Michael

  13. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    Michael Schnell wrote:
    >> Excuse me: that's not what I meant. . I don't dispute that a 64-bit
    >> AMD CPU may match a 32-bit Intel CPU in speed and 32-bit
    >> performance. But why not enable the extra features, especially if
    >> you're doing graphics or floating point processing? More bits tends
    >> to really help graphical and number crunching performance, and if
    >> it's not too tough to get the operations converted to 64-bit, it can
    >> take a bit of work, but go for it!

    > Is it possible to run 64 Bit user programs in a 32 Bit OS ? (The OS
    > needs to save the 64 bit registers when scheduling ...)

    Nope. You absolutely need to install a 64-bit kernel and glibc.

  14. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    In article news:<1143370571.805600.292100@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    Luis wrote:
    > I have been searching and have found that there is already a
    > distribution specifically oriented to the Epia processor:
    > http://www.epios.net/
    > This distribution is based on Gentoo, so it makes a lot of sense.

    Goodness what a dreadful site! You have to dig really deep to find out what
    Epios *is*.

    From the look of it, Epios is just an attempt to bring together all the
    various drivers and patches that support the hardware used on EPIA
    mainboards. Note, though, that you don't need to be using Epios to get
    those drivers and patches (though it may be more convenient to do so) ...
    and you don't need the drivers and patches if you're not worried about some
    of the more advanced and hardware-specific features of the EPIA boards -
    sensors, MPEG acceleration, etc.

    For running a headless Apache server you don't need those EPIA-specific
    drivers and patches, and a bog-standard install of any distro should be OK.
    I use a fairly standard Gentoo setup (compiled for C3_2 CPU) and it works
    very nicely.

    Note, though, that the Epios kernel is built to run on any APIA mainboard,
    so the code is generated for an x586 target, which is sub-optimal for the
    Nehemiah processors on later EPIA boards, which are x686. Conversely, many
    "vanilla" distros are built for x686 and won't run on non-Nehemiah
    mainboards, so be sure to use a distro that does support the CPU type
    (should be a 386 or 586 build).

    [Note also that the Nehemiah CPU, although it is a 686, does not support
    some "optional" 686 instructions (CMOV) that are used in code generated by
    some versions of gcc without any runtime checks for support (this is a
    now-fixed gcc bug).]

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  15. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    In article news:, Nico
    Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > But why waste the money/resources on a
    > 64-bit system and then not use it for 64-bit?

    It's not a waste of money. A64 systems give much better 32-bit performance
    than most 32-bit Athlon systems and are only slightly (if at all) more
    costly -- and (almost conicidentally) offer an upgrade path to 64 bits
    should it ever be needed.

    Why not use 64 bits anyway? Because the software you want to use may not
    yet exist in a reliable 64-bit form. Using a 64-bit system to run the
    32-bit version gives you the flexibility to run with what works now, and to
    upgrade in the future.

    OTOH, for a low-traffic Apache server the relatively modest and very low
    power consumption/low noise EPIA systems are ideal. A64 is definitely NOT
    essential for such an application (though it might help when building the
    system, if using Gentoo ... distcc is your friend).

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  16. Re: Best Linux distribution for a Mini-ITX server?

    Luis wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I am about to buy a Mini-ITX fanless PC in order to use it as my
    > personal host machine. Apart from the mainboard and some RAM, I will
    > add a 40GB HD and a DVD/CDRW combo.
    >
    > My intention is to keep it working 24x7 at some corner of my living
    > room, and use it as a web server with Apache + Tomcat (or even probably
    > Tomcat only, at least in the beginning). I may also use it to download
    > some things with Emule. I will not attach any screen or keyboard to it
    > (except for the initial setup process, of course) and would always
    > access it remotely via RealVNC or some other remote console.
    >
    > My main question is:
    >
    > - Which is the best Linux distribution for this? I am an advanced
    > Windows XP user but I have very basic skills on Linux, so I would need
    > some simple distribution that does not need the kernel to be recompiled
    > or some other manual installation steps. I would also need some
    > XWindows interface unless I can run that from my remote client.
    >
    > - My ADSL router works also as a firewall. Are there any security risks
    > if I only open the required ports?
    >
    > - Is there some freeware XWindows client that I can run from Windows
    > XP, instead of RealVNC, in order to improve the screen refresh speed
    > when I access it remotely?
    >
    > Thank you very much. I am new to any Linux newsgroups so I don't know
    > if crossposting is not nice... if so, I am sorry, but I really don't
    > know which is the best group to ask this question.

    I've been running a Shuttle with White Box Linux (free release of
    RHEL3.0) and have installed Fedora Core 3 and 4 on others. I am running
    some old slow Celeron, 2GHz as I recall, and it's fine for a DNS or web
    server unless you plan to run a lot of CGI. If you use FC4 and are on
    the open net, be sure to specify the best firewall when asked, and don't
    install anything you don't need. Use enough memory, and it should be fine.

    As for Emule, you're on your own, rumor has it that's a CPU hog, if you
    must use it and want decent performance you may want to rethink the
    whole idea and go with a larger system.

    --
    bill davidsen
    http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com