How Can I Get A Shell Prompt On The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless - Embedded

This is a discussion on How Can I Get A Shell Prompt On The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless - Embedded ; Hello. I'm new to this newsgroup, so I hope this is the right place to pose this question. The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless Webcam runs embedded Linux, and the application software is Java based. But it's buggy, and I'd like to ...

  1. How Can I Get A Shell Prompt On The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless

    Hello.

    I'm new to this newsgroup, so I hope this is the right place to pose
    this question.

    The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless Webcam runs embedded Linux, and the
    application software is Java based. But it's buggy, and I'd like to
    see if I can improve it. Without shell access, I'm not sure how to go
    about modifying the Java code. Is it likely there is a shell
    available?

  2. Re: How Can I Get A Shell Prompt On The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless

    Larry Dighera wrote:

    > The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless Webcam runs embedded Linux, and the
    > application software is Java based. But it's buggy, and I'd like to
    > see if I can improve it. Without shell access, I'm not sure how to go
    > about modifying the Java code. Is it likely there is a shell
    > available?

    Try to modify a firmware to enable telnet access. Usually embedded Linux are
    using busybox which usually includes a telnetd.

    If you don't have access to the Firmware it is likely that we have yet
    another GPL Violation.

    Sven

    --
    "In the land of the brave and the free, we defend our freedom
    with the GNU GPL" (Richard M. Stallman on www.gnu.org)

    /me is giggls@ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web

  3. Re: How Can I Get A Shell Prompt On The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 20:45:20 +0000 (UTC), Sven Geggus
    wrote in ::

    >Larry Dighera wrote:
    >
    >> The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless Webcam runs embedded Linux, and the
    >> application software is Java based. But it's buggy, and I'd like to
    >> see if I can improve it. Without shell access, I'm not sure how to go
    >> about modifying the Java code. Is it likely there is a shell
    >> available?

    >Try to modify a firmware to enable telnet access.

    The latest firmware version is here:
    http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/secur...wb11a_3-16.zip
    I searched for 'Linux and 'licence', but those strings are not
    contained in that firmware code.

    >Usually embedded Linux are using busybox which usually includes a telnetd.

    According to the article here:
    the Toshiba IK-WB02A runs "2.4-series Linux kernel (probably uClinux)"
    on a "ARM7 core clocked at 80MHz." So I'm thinking the IK-WB11A
    probably is similar.

    I also tried telneting into the first 4,000 ports, but never got a
    login prompt.

    >If you don't have access to the Firmware it is likely that we have yet
    >another GPL Violation.

    The firmware is at the link above, but I didn't find any ASCII licence
    information.

    Thank you for your assistance.

  4. Re: How Can I Get A Shell Prompt On The Toshiba IK-WB11A Wireless

    Reading the trademark information in the Toshiba IK-WB11A Advanced
    User Guide

    provided this clue:

    Ubiquitous TCP/IP-OS Copyright (c) 2002 Ubiquitous Corp.

    There's some info here:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

    Perhaps this isn't Linux after all:

    --------

    http://www.ubiquitous.co.jp/products/tcpip-os.html
    ubiquitous TCP/IP-OS

    http://download.renesas.com/eng/edge/07/special03.html

    Ultra-compact TCP/IP stack eases implementing communication functions
    in microprocessors
    Ubiquitous Corporation

    Yoshihisa Nakayama
    Director and COO
    Ubiquitous Corporation
    Connecting home appliances such as TVs and DVDs to a home network
    typically isn’t easy, and networking hasn’t been a consideration for
    such devices in the past. Yet the ability to incorporate Ethernet
    connectivity in a microprocessor is no longer unusual. As the
    integration of home networking communication functions into
    microcomputers grows more common, and as those microcomputers are used
    in home appliances, networking capabilities will become increasingly
    popular features of new appliances.
    One obstacle to this trend is that TCP/IP stacks typically require a
    large memory size, about 80 to 200KBytes. Also, the 8-bit and 16-bit
    microprocessors used in most home appliances have limited processing
    performance. The solution is the ultra-compact TCP/IP-OS and UPnP
    middleware products developed by Ubiquitous Corporation.

    The middleware’s TCP/IP protocol stack requires only 5 to 7.5KBytes,
    yet it supports all the functions required for standard TCP/IP
    communications and interconnectivity. Mr. Nakayama of Ubiquitous
    Corporation calls the middleware the "world's smallest, lightest, and
    fastest OS." In terms of speed, he is confident that the middleware is
    twice as fast as its predecessors.

    The TCP/IP-OS and UPnP products align with the trend toward adopting
    industry standards. The operating systems comply with the Digital
    Living Network Alliance (DLNA) V1.0 guidelines for interoperation
    between home networking devices, which were established by the Digital
    Home Working Group (DHWG).

    Renesas was quick to recognize the advantages of this technology and
    established a comprehensive business relationship with Ubiquitous
    Corporation. As a result, versions of the TCP/IP-OS, TCP/IP-OS Super
    Tiny, UPnP, and UPnP/AV ultra-compact operating systems are available
    for Renesas microprocessors. Moreover, we have incorporated the
    TCP/IP-OS and UPnP/AV into our SH3-DSP and SH-4 series devices for AV
    equipment.

    According to Mr. Nakayama, "A key point about the Renesas SuperH
    family is that it is aimed at advanced, but compact, embedded
    equipment. That concept exactly matches our own." The simple
    architecture and command set of Renesas microprocessors eased porting
    the middleware to the devices and the job was completed quickly.

    The relationship between Renesas and Ubiquitous promotes the adoption
    of communication functions in low-cost chipsets. This should
    accelerate the growth of home networks that interconnect many
    different devices.

    http://translate.google.com/translat...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

    October of 2005 11th
    Corporation ?????

    The ????? corporation, it offers communication protocol stack to ????
    technology
    - Functional strengthening edition TCP/IP, UPnP AV, SSL, IPv6 and USB
    Host -

    Corporation ????? (head office: The Tokyo Shinjuku Ku, Representative
    President Nakayama it is good Hisashi. Below, " ?????"), corporation
    ???? technology (head office: The Tokyo Chiyoda Ku, president & CEO
    Itoh. Below, " the ????"), the inclusion cooperation which agrees in
    March of 2004 is expanded, communication protocol stack is offered
    anew.

    Small well genius like ???? business strategic generalization section
    executive, " ????? make TCP/IP communication protocol stack, it is
    small, it is light, because use of peripheral memory is little it is
    fast to in addition, as value added of the semiconductor product is
    raised, network correspondence of the customer it becomes possible to
    actualize at high dimension. In the future, it starts loading from the
    SuperH family, develops to the consecutive other CPU family. Together
    it prepares the SDK which corresponds to the enviroment for software
    development of the ???? and keeps offering " that.

    * The communication protocol stack which is offered anew
    · TCP/IP-OS functional strengthening edition It is the TCP/IP protocol
    stack which the ????? developed on the basis of the RFC.

    · UPnP AV At the protocol stack which the ????? developed on the basis
    of the UPnP AV v1, development of the DLNA corresponding network AV
    equipment is made easy.

    · SSL It is protocol of communication encoding and the certification
    which the ????? developed on the basis of the SSL v3.

    · IPv6: It is the TCP/IP protocol stack which the ????? developed on
    the basis of the RFC. Adjusting to the IPv4, we offer at dual stack.

    · USB Host At the protocol stack which the ????? developed on the
    basis of USB standard, connection and support of various USB equipment
    are made possible.

    * Concerning the corporation ?????
    The ????? is the enterprise which develops the communication protocol
    stacked and related software product in for the various equipment and
    sells. The communication protocol stack which the ????? is developed
    is optimized by the technology which excels, other things is surpassed
    " the small lightly has fast " feature. The ????? contributes to the
    actualization of foam/home network and sensor network via the offer of
    the communication protocol stack of the smallest most light weight.

    * Company name and the trade name which are stated in Bunchu are trade
    mark or registered trade mark of each company.
    * The information which is published to this news release is
    information as of of announcement day. When it is modified after the
    announcement day, because it is, please acknowledge beforehand

    Ahead the ???? technology inquiring regarding this press
    releaseCorporation ???? technology
    ? 100-0004 the Tokyo Chiyoda Ku major town two Chome 6th 2 (Japanese
    buildings)
    Product technical headquarters connectivity technical development
    center
    TEL: 03-5201-5006
    FAX: 03-3270-7113
    Ahead the inquiring regarding the ????? productCorporation ?????
    ? 160-0022 the Tokyo Shinjuku Ku Shinjuku 3-1-13 Keio Shinjuku forked
    road building 6f
    TEL: 03-5312-2810
    FAX: 03-5312-2812
    Email: Press@ubiquitous.co.jp

    =============

    http://translate.google.com/translat...lr%3D%26sa%3DG

    October of 2005 6th
    Corporation ?????

    Communication protocol stack and ?????? DS TM of ????? corporation You
    adopt
    - Worldwide smallest most lightweight TCP/IP and SSL protocol stack of
    barely 50KB -

    Corporation ????? (head office: The Tokyo Shinjuku Ku, Representative
    President Nakayama it is good Hisashi. Below, " the ?????"), we
    announce that the communication protocol stack which ? ? ? cTass
    developed is adopted to the communication library for the game machine
    ? ?????? DS ? of the Nintendo Co. corporation.

    This communication protocol stack is developed the on the basis of the
    Ubiquitous TCP/IP and the Ubiquitous SSL, is offered to Nintendo Co.
    for the ? ?????? DS ? as the library which is included in the game
    software development kit.

    * Concerning the corporation ?????
    The ????? is the enterprise which develops the communication protocol
    stacked and related software product in for the various equipment and
    sells. The communication protocol stack which the ????? is developed
    is optimized by the technology which excels, other things is surpassed
    " the small lightly has fast " feature. The ????? contributes to the
    actualization of foam/home network and sensor network via the offer of
    the communication protocol stack of the smallest most light weight.

    * Concerning the Ubiquitous TCP/IP and the Ubiquitous SSL
    The Ubiquitous TCP/IP is the TCP/IP protocol stack which the ?????
    developed on the basis of the RFC. In addition, the Ubiquitous SSL is
    protocol of communication encoding and the certification which conform
    to the SSL v3. As for these, both together size when mounting
    approximately 50KB and with very small ones, operates lightly even
    with the resource where the game machine is limited.

    * Company name and the trade name which are stated in Bunchu are trade
    mark or registered trade mark of each company.
    * The information which is published to this news release is
    information as of of announcement day. When it is modified after the
    announcement day, because it is, please acknowledge beforehand.

    Ahead the inquiring regarding the ????? productCorporation ?????
    ? 160-0022 the Tokyo Shinjuku Ku Shinjuku 3-1-13 Keio Shinjuku forked
    road building 6f
    TEL: 03-5312-2810
    FAX: 03-5312-2812
    Email: Press@ubiquitous.co.jp