Building 2.4 modules outside the kernel tree - Embedded

This is a discussion on Building 2.4 modules outside the kernel tree - Embedded ; I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out how to build a module for a 2.4 kernel outside the kernel tree.... I am following the book, Linux Device Drivers, which is written for 2.6 kernels, so I expect ...

  1. Building 2.4 modules outside the kernel tree

    I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out how to build a module for a
    2.4 kernel outside the kernel tree....

    I am following the book, Linux Device Drivers, which is written for 2.6
    kernels, so I expect that things will be a bit different.

    For 2.6 kernels, this works:

    make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.15.1 M=`pwd` modules

    But I can't find an equivalent command for 2.4 kernels....

    make -C /usr/local/src/linux24 M=`pwd` modules

    Just builds all of the 2.4 modules, and not the one in `pwd`....

    $M seems to be ignored... So how can I do this for 2.4 kernels?

    --Yan

  2. Re: Building 2.4 modules outside the kernel tree

    Captain Dondo wrote:
    > I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out how to build a module for a
    > 2.4 kernel outside the kernel tree....
    >
    > I am following the book, Linux Device Drivers, which is written for 2.6
    > kernels, so I expect that things will be a bit different.

    I'm a bit puzzled by that. The 2.4 version is available for free, search
    for it with Google.

  3. Re: Building 2.4 modules outside the kernel tree

    Captain Dondo wrote:

    > I'm having a bit of a hard time figuring out how to build a module for a
    > 2.4 kernel outside the kernel tree....
    >
    > I am following the book, Linux Device Drivers, which is written for 2.6
    > kernels, so I expect that things will be a bit different.
    >
    > For 2.6 kernels, this works:
    >
    > make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.15.1 M=`pwd` modules
    >
    > But I can't find an equivalent command for 2.4 kernels....
    >
    > make -C /usr/local/src/linux24 M=`pwd` modules
    >
    > Just builds all of the 2.4 modules, and not the one in `pwd`....
    >
    > $M seems to be ignored... So how can I do this for 2.4 kernels?
    >
    > --Yan

    I don't know if it is the best way what I did, and the makefile is a bit
    more complicated (more than one target, final driver is constructed from
    many object files) but anyway, check out the latest can4linux version
    V3.3.4 and look at "Makefile-k2.4"
    http://canexperts.de/engl/canprod/hw_can4linux_ext.html

    Regards
    Heinz

  4. Re: Building 2.4 modules outside the kernel tree

    Hello ,

    This is possible in linux 2.4 also. I have built ethernet driver
    module outside the kernel tree!

    Best Regards,
    Vivekanandan M

  5. Re: Building 2.4 modules outside the kernel tree

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:18:00 +0000, Geronimo W. Christ Esq wrote:

    >> I am following the book, Linux Device Drivers, which is written for 2.6
    >> kernels, so I expect that things will be a bit different.

    > I'm a bit puzzled by that. The 2.4 version is available for free, search
    > for it with Google.

    Yup, got it, thanks....

    --Yan

+ Reply to Thread