Embedded linux installed base - Embedded

This is a discussion on Embedded linux installed base - Embedded ; Does anyone know of a website that might have some estimates on the installed base of linux embedded machines? I'm running into some flak about "no one uses linux" and "no one understands linux" from mgt.... and I need some ...

  1. Embedded linux installed base

    Does anyone know of a website that might have some estimates on the
    installed base of linux embedded machines?

    I'm running into some flak about "no one uses linux" and "no one
    understands linux" from mgt.... and I need some backup data...

    Apparently one of our sister companies installed an "embedded PC" -
    basically a regular PC with hard drives and all - in an outside
    enclosure, and it promptly failed when winter came. It's because of
    'linux', not because of boneheaded design....

    So I need something that says, there are 100 million cell phones running
    embedded linux, there are 5 million linux programmers, etc.

    Thanks....

  2. Re: Embedded linux installed base

    Hi Captain,

    Great Gadget Smack-Down at www.linuxdevices.com
    (http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT6743418602.html) should be a
    good start.

    It is never an easy debate.

    I had myself tried to go through the possible arguments for or against
    last summer, and had written a report after that, which you can find at
    http://www.4real.se/pdf/linux_ert_survey_4real.pdf.

    Good luck.

    Best regards,

    Alain

    Captain Dondo wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a website that might have some estimates on the
    > installed base of linux embedded machines?
    >
    > I'm running into some flak about "no one uses linux" and "no one
    > understands linux" from mgt.... and I need some backup data...
    >
    > Apparently one of our sister companies installed an "embedded PC" -
    > basically a regular PC with hard drives and all - in an outside
    > enclosure, and it promptly failed when winter came. It's because of
    > 'linux', not because of boneheaded design....
    >
    > So I need something that says, there are 100 million cell phones running
    > embedded linux, there are 5 million linux programmers, etc.
    >
    > Thanks....

  3. Re: Embedded linux installed base

    "Captain Dondo" wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of a website that might have some estimates on the
    > installed base of linux embedded machines?
    >
    > I'm running into some flak about "no one uses linux" and "no one
    > understands linux" from mgt.... and I need some backup data...
    >
    > Apparently one of our sister companies installed an "embedded PC" -
    > basically a regular PC with hard drives and all - in an outside
    > enclosure, and it promptly failed when winter came. It's because of
    > 'linux', not because of boneheaded design....
    >
    > So I need something that says, there are 100 million cell phones running
    > embedded linux, there are 5 million linux programmers, etc.
    >
    > Thanks....

    When I hear this resistance from my group I just pull out a list of products
    that are embedded Linux based, e.g. Tivo, wrt54g router, zaurus pda, etc.
    There's several millions of all of those. But, http://www.linuxdevices.com/
    may have better info.

    -Clark

+ Reply to Thread