TCP/IP over Compact PCI backplane - Embedded

This is a discussion on TCP/IP over Compact PCI backplane - Embedded ; Are there kernel mods, official or otherwise, that would allow me to use a compact pci backplane as a network? I have 4 SBC's in a compact pci chassis and would like to have the backplane serve as a backup ...

  1. TCP/IP over Compact PCI backplane

    Are there kernel mods, official or otherwise, that would allow me to
    use a compact pci backplane as a network? I have 4 SBC's in a compact
    pci chassis and would like to have the backplane serve as a backup
    network for fault tolerance purposes. Thanks.

    Matt

  2. Re: TCP/IP over Compact PCI backplane

    Matthew Clark wrote:
    > Are there kernel mods, official or otherwise, that would allow me to
    > use a compact pci backplane as a network? I have 4 SBC's in a compact
    > pci chassis and would like to have the backplane serve as a backup
    > network for fault tolerance purposes. Thanks.

    Just a warning...with certain Motorola backplanes there have been
    assorted bugs that can lock up the backplane, requiring a power cycle to
    clear.

    We ended up having to use fiberchannel between blades instead...at a
    significant cost.

    Chris

  3. Re: TCP/IP over Compact PCI backplane

    Chris Friesen wrote:
    > Just a warning...with certain Motorola backplanes there have been
    > assorted bugs that can lock up the backplane, requiring a power cycle to
    > clear.

    > We ended up having to use fiberchannel between blades instead...at a
    > significant cost.

    Fibre isn't an option. The boards only have copper 100-T on the front
    and the cPCI backplane.

    Matt

  4. Re: TCP/IP over Compact PCI backplane

    Matthew Clark wrote:

    > Chris Friesen wrote:
    >> Just a warning...with certain Motorola backplanes there have been
    >> assorted bugs that can lock up the backplane, requiring a power cycle to
    >> clear.

    >> We ended up having to use fiberchannel between blades instead...at a
    >> significant cost.

    > Fibre isn't an option. The boards only have copper 100-T on the front
    > and the cPCI backplane.
    >
    > Matt

    Maybe you can do something with shared memory and pipes.
    --
    JosephKK
    --Schiller

+ Reply to Thread