failed to mount file system on boot - Embedded

This is a discussion on failed to mount file system on boot - Embedded ; I have just build Linux 2.6.26.5. I am using Grub to boot it. When the kernel loads it cannot find by filesystem. My grub bootline looks like this : /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26.5 ro root=/dev/sda1 Any suggestions would help Steve...

  1. failed to mount file system on boot

    I have just build Linux 2.6.26.5. I am using Grub to boot it. When the
    kernel loads it cannot find by filesystem. My grub bootline looks like this
    : /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26.5 ro root=/dev/sda1

    Any suggestions would help

    Steve

  2. Re: failed to mount file system on boot

    Steve West wrote:

    > I have just build Linux 2.6.26.5. I am using Grub to boot it. When the
    > kernel loads it cannot find by filesystem. My grub bootline looks like
    > this
    > : /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26.5 ro root=/dev/sda1
    >
    > Any suggestions would help

    Okay, you seem to be trying to use a hard driver for the root filesystem, so
    what I'd check is:

    * Is it the right drive (sdb1 rather than sda1 etc)
    * Are the appropriate drivers for the drive built in to the kernel
    (I'd check with make menuconfig even if you copied the .config
    from a working older kernel as the names occasionally change).
    * Do you have support for the root filesystem type built into the kernel
    (ie ReiserFS/ext3/etc...).

    Cheers,
    John McCallum

  3. Re: failed to mount file system on boot

    On Oct 9, 6:22*pm, "Steve West" wrote:
    > I have just build Linux 2.6.26.5. I am using Grub to boot it. When the
    > kernel loads it cannot find by filesystem. My grub bootline looks like this
    > : /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26.5 ro root=/dev/sda1
    >
    > Any suggestions would help
    >
    > Steve

    Post the last few lines on the default console. Usually that gives a
    good indication to what the problem is.

+ Reply to Thread