which tools? C? C++? Java? - Embedded

This is a discussion on which tools? C? C++? Java? - Embedded ; I'm a computer engineer working in the field of robotics (autonomous vehicles) and inherited a hardware design from an engineer who moved on a few months ago. At this point I'm pretty well tied to the freescale 5200 for the ...

  1. which tools? C? C++? Java?

    I'm a computer engineer working in the field of robotics (autonomous
    vehicles) and inherited a hardware design from an engineer who moved on a
    few months ago. At this point I'm pretty well tied to the freescale
    5200 for the master controller in our mobility platform. That's really no
    problem since we have a working SBC and have had success using the DENX
    ELDK for PPC with the board.

    My questions are more related to which languages embedded folks
    prefer? The master controller will have to handle some JAUS message
    routing and will unwrap JAUS messages and pass them on to devices using
    device native commands on RS485 and CANbus. I am equally well versed in
    C/C++ and JAVA but am wondering about the opinions, pros and cons, of
    writing the userspace tasks in any of the available languages. The tasks
    were originally specified to be written in ISO C++ but based on the
    multi-threading capabilities of JAVA, correctly modeling the tasks in JAVA
    would be so much easier, at least in a test environment. I also have
    other reasons, related to platform interoperability, for investigating
    JAVA.

    1) what percentage of embedded linux development is done in each language:
    JAVA, C, C++?
    2) what percentage of embedded linux development is done as pure kernel
    module code and how much is done as userspace tasks?
    3) Since I'm tied to the 5200 has anyone had good luck using embedded JAVA
    on the PPC platform? Who's JVM?

    I looked at the GCC/JAVA/libJAVA tools but they seem so (alpha) and I
    cannot base a production product on something unproven. I've got plenty of
    SDRAM and flash available: 128MB and 16MB so code bloat isn't an
    issue...yet.

    Suggestions? Thoughts? Opinions?

  2. Re: which tools? C? C++? Java?

    On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 00:16:50 -0500, noone wrote:
    > 1) what percentage of embedded linux development is done in each language:
    > JAVA, C, C++?

    That's going to depend, a lot, on the field of "embedded" endeavour. At a
    guess, pure "control" applications are going to be mostly pure C. Things
    with GUIs will currently be mostly C++ with some C and some Java. If you
    include phones, then you'll skew things stongly in the direction of C++
    and Java (hard to tell which actually carries more weight, but I'd guess
    C++ for now.)

    > 2) what percentage of embedded linux development is done as pure kernel
    > module code and how much is done as userspace tasks? 3) Since I'm tied to
    > the 5200 has anyone had good luck using embedded JAVA on the PPC platform?
    > Who's JVM?

    Mostly user-space, I'd guess. Dunno about JVM's on PPC platform. Kaffe?

    [I opine because I'm interested in the answers, myself. I know of
    projects that use all of those three, for different reasons.]

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew

  3. Re: which tools? C? C++? Java?

    Andrew Reilly wrote:

    > If you
    > include phones, then you'll skew things stongly in the direction of C++
    > and Java (hard to tell which actually carries more weight, but I'd guess
    > C++ for now.)

    You would be surprised to see the amount of
    assembly code used in phones. Granted, it's
    mainly due to strange DSP architectures, but
    nonetheless, when you try to reduce cost, it
    may pay back to write very efficient assembly
    code to select a less powerful chip, so less
    expensive.

    Laurent

+ Reply to Thread