Minimal NFS server - what's needed? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Minimal NFS server - what's needed? - Embedded ; Hello, I'm building a simple NAS based on linux and an old 486 mainboard; don't know if it fits to "embedded devices". The specs are a Cx486DLC/40 and 8 Mb of ram, together with a 32 Mb CF2IDE solution for ...

  1. Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

    Hello,

    I'm building a simple NAS based on linux and an old 486 mainboard; don't
    know if it fits to "embedded devices".

    The specs are a Cx486DLC/40 and 8 Mb of ram, together with a 32 Mb CF2IDE
    solution for the main system, serial console (no virtual tty's) and a maybe
    20 Gb hard disk for data.

    Now it runs a kernel 2.2.36 and BusyBox 1.1.0 statically linked and I want
    to include a fast NFS server. The system should be able to capture a digital
    video stream from tv (a D-Box 2 with Tuxbox is sending the data). I'm not
    sure about performance issues, so I think about the integrated knfsd I
    compiled into the kernel.

    But I cannot get the nfs-tools-0.1.5 compiled on my main machine (coLinux
    with Debian 3.0) - it won't compile.

    Does anyone have an idea on how to fix it?

    Regards,

    Sebastian

  2. Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

    Sebastian wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm building a simple NAS based on linux and an old 486 mainboard; don't
    > know if it fits to "embedded devices".
    >
    > The specs are a Cx486DLC/40 and 8 Mb of ram, together with a 32 Mb CF2IDE
    > solution for the main system, serial console (no virtual tty's) and a maybe
    > 20 Gb hard disk for data.

    We have a 8M CF image with NFS, with minimum drivers (ne2000 &
    rtl8139). You should be able to build a standalone version with
    approx. 20M, including most popular nic drivers.

    > Now it runs a kernel 2.2.36 and BusyBox 1.1.0 statically linked and I want
    > to include a fast NFS server. The system should be able to capture a digital
    > video stream from tv (a D-Box 2 with Tuxbox is sending the data). I'm not
    > sure about performance issues, so I think about the integrated knfsd I
    > compiled into the kernel.
    >
    > But I cannot get the nfs-tools-0.1.5 compiled on my main machine (coLinux
    > with Debian 3.0) - it won't compile.

    Try different versions, perhaps older one. We use 2.2.25.

    Or start with ours and build it up. Our CD contains basic CF boot
    images in 8M,16M,20M,32M,48M,64M and 128M. See http://cfd.linnix.com

  3. Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

    > Sebastian wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I'm building a simple NAS based on linux and an old 486 mainboard; don't
    > > know if it fits to "embedded devices".
    > >
    > > The specs are a Cx486DLC/40 and 8 Mb of ram, together with a 32 Mb

    CF2IDE
    > > solution for the main system, serial console (no virtual tty's) and a

    maybe
    > > 20 Gb hard disk for data.

    > We have a 8M CF image with NFS, with minimum drivers (ne2000 &
    > rtl8139). You should be able to build a standalone version with
    > approx. 20M, including most popular nic drivers.

    What do you use? Now I got the nfs-utils-1.0.7 compiled (some generations
    newer, but I hope it wont matter), but when I start nfsd, the system hangs.
    What do I exactly need to set up a NFS server?

    I also set up a 124 Mb hard disk for testing, later I can also use it for
    swapping, but I hope the memory is enough to avoid this.

    > > Now it runs a kernel 2.2.36 and BusyBox 1.1.0 statically linked and I

    want
    > > to include a fast NFS server. The system should be able to capture a

    digital
    > > video stream from tv (a D-Box 2 with Tuxbox is sending the data). I'm

    not
    > > sure about performance issues, so I think about the integrated knfsd I
    > > compiled into the kernel.
    > >
    > > But I cannot get the nfs-tools-0.1.5 compiled on my main machine

    (coLinux
    > > with Debian 3.0) - it won't compile.

    > Try different versions, perhaps older one. We use 2.2.25.

    Kernel version 2.2.25 ? I don't know if this is important, because simply
    "it runs" :-)

    > Or start with ours and build it up. Our CD contains basic CF boot
    > images in 8M,16M,20M,32M,48M,64M and 128M. See http://cfd.linnix.com

    Could I download an NFS-server-capable image somewhere?

    Thank you.

    Regards,

    Sebastian

  4. Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

    On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 21:21:26 +0100, Sebastian wrote:

    >> Sebastian wrote:
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I'm building a simple NAS based on linux and an old 486 mainboard; don't
    >> > know if it fits to "embedded devices".
    >> >
    >> > The specs are a Cx486DLC/40 and 8 Mb of ram, together with a 32 Mb

    > Could I download an NFS-server-capable image somewhere?

    Yes you can.
    Take a look at http://www.dmp.com.tw/tech/os-xlinux
    There you find a small linux with nfs.
    I use it my self, but with a diffrent kernel on a soekris board.

    --
    / Peter Andersen
    / Skanderborg

  5. Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

    > > Could I download an NFS-server-capable image somewhere?

    > Yes you can.
    > Take a look at http://www.dmp.com.tw/tech/os-xlinux
    > There you find a small linux with nfs.
    > I use it my self, but with a diffrent kernel on a soekris board.

    Thank you, I'll take a look next week when I'm back at home.

    Regards,

    Sebastian

  6. Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

    Sebastian wrote:
    > > Sebastian wrote:
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I'm building a simple NAS based on linux and an old 486 mainboard; don't
    > > > know if it fits to "embedded devices".
    > > >
    > > > The specs are a Cx486DLC/40 and 8 Mb of ram, together with a 32 Mb

    > CF2IDE
    > > > solution for the main system, serial console (no virtual tty's) and a

    > maybe
    > > > 20 Gb hard disk for data.

    > > We have a 8M CF image with NFS, with minimum drivers (ne2000 &
    > > rtl8139). You should be able to build a standalone version with
    > > approx. 20M, including most popular nic drivers.

    > What do you use? Now I got the nfs-utils-1.0.7 compiled (some generations
    > newer, but I hope it wont matter), but when I start nfsd, the system hangs.
    > What do I exactly need to set up a NFS server?

    Do you have nfsd support in the kernel?

    OK, get http://cfd.linnix.com/cfd8.iso and burn a CD.

    > Thank you.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Sebastian

  7. Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

    Hello,

    > > What do you use? Now I got the nfs-utils-1.0.7 compiled (some

    generations
    > > newer, but I hope it wont matter), but when I start nfsd, the system

    hangs.
    > > What do I exactly need to set up a NFS server?

    > Do you have nfsd support in the kernel?

    Yes, I do.

    > > > Or start with ours and build it up. Our CD contains basic CF boot
    > > > images in 8M,16M,20M,32M,48M,64M and 128M. See http://cfd.linnix.com

    > > Could I download an NFS-server-capable image somewhere?

    > OK, get http://cfd.linnix.com/cfd8.iso and burn a CD.

    Thank you, I'll have a look soon.

    Regards,

    Sebastian

  8. Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

    Hello,

    > > Could I download an NFS-server-capable image somewhere?
    > >

    > Yes you can.
    > Take a look at http://www.dmp.com.tw/tech/os-xlinux
    > There you find a small linux with nfs.
    > I use it my self, but with a diffrent kernel on a soekris board.

    I cannot find the configuration files for serving NFS requests, is it
    useable as an NFS server or only as client? Client functionality shall not
    be integrated into the system because I don't want to control it ... it
    shall work without any user intervention.

    Regards,

    Sebastian

  9. Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

    Hello,

    > > > Or start with ours and build it up. Our CD contains basic CF boot
    > > > images in 8M,16M,20M,32M,48M,64M and 128M. See http://cfd.linnix.com

    > > Could I download an NFS-server-capable image somewhere?

    > OK, get http://cfd.linnix.com/cfd8.iso and burn a CD.

    It seems the CD isn't bootable. At least I cannot get it to boot on my qemu
    session; a DOS bootdisk won't recognize the image as "High Sierra or
    ISO9660" compatible. I didn't burn it onto CD (yet) because the target
    system doesn't have any drive.
    The 8m.dd file is the compact flash image? How can I put it onto my CF?
    I tried "dd if=8m.dd of=/dev/sda" but that didn't work (no recognized file
    system). Neither worked using the image as loopback device (losetup
    /dev/loop1 8m.dd ; mount /dev/loop1 /mnt), same error.

    How did you create this image and how can I get the files inside?

    Regards,

    Sebastian

  10. Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 20:36:30 +0100, Sebastian wrote:

    > Hello,
    >

    >> > Could I download an NFS-server-capable image somewhere?
    >> >

    >> Yes you can.
    >> Take a look at http://www.dmp.com.tw/tech/os-xlinux
    >> There you find a small linux with nfs.
    >> I use it my self, but with a diffrent kernel on a soekris board.
    >>

    > I cannot find the configuration files for serving NFS requests, is it
    > useable as an NFS server or only as client? Client functionality shall not
    > be integrated into the system because I don't want to control it ... it
    > shall work without any user intervention.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Sebastian

    Have you read the manual.
    If not then please download from the same side and read it.
    It is on page 14.
    I am not using the nfs server just the ftp and some other program i have
    installed.

    --
    / Peter Andersen
    / Skanderborg

  11. Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

    Sebastian wrote:
    > Hello,

    > > > Could I download an NFS-server-capable image somewhere?

    > > OK, get http://cfd.linnix.com/cfd8.iso and burn a CD.
    > >

    > It seems the CD isn't bootable.

    It should be bootable.

    > At least I cannot get it to boot on my qemu
    > session; a DOS bootdisk won't recognize the image as "High Sierra or
    > ISO9660" compatible. I didn't burn it onto CD (yet) because the target
    > system doesn't have any drive.

    It is iso9660 with rockridge extension. Perhaps dos does not know
    about the extension.

    > The 8m.dd file is the compact flash image? How can I put it onto my CF?
    > I tried "dd if=8m.dd of=/dev/sda" but that didn't work (no recognized file

    It should be loaded with IDE device.
    dd if=8m.dd of=/dev/hda

    > system). Neither worked using the image as loopback device (losetup
    > /dev/loop1 8m.dd ; mount /dev/loop1 /mnt), same error.
    >
    > How did you create this image and how can I get the files inside?

    We can send you a CD, if you pay for the postage.

    By the way, the images are setup as broadband router/gateway and nfs on
    the local side only (eth1). So you need two nics even if you don't use
    it as router/gateway. You can of course change it as you wish.

    > Regards,
    >
    > Sebastian

  12. Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

    Hello,

    http://cfd.linnix.com

    > > > OK, get http://cfd.linnix.com/cfd8.iso and burn a CD.
    > > >

    > > It seems the CD isn't bootable.

    > It should be bootable.

    I cannot get it to boot, not even burned (Nero 6).

    > > At least I cannot get it to boot on my qemu
    > > session; a DOS bootdisk won't recognize the image as "High Sierra or
    > > ISO9660" compatible. I didn't burn it onto CD (yet) because the target
    > > system doesn't have any drive.

    > It is iso9660 with rockridge extension. Perhaps dos does not know
    > about the extension.

    Yes, but it should read it anyway, there's an iso9660.

    > > The 8m.dd file is the compact flash image? How can I put it onto my CF?
    > > I tried "dd if=8m.dd of=/dev/sda" but that didn't work (no recognized

    file

    > It should be loaded with IDE device.
    > dd if=8m.dd of=/dev/hda

    If I do a "cat 8m.dd" or "type 8m.dd" I get lots of nothing, the file seems
    to be completely empty. Extracted from the image (only WinImage can read it
    as far) it has 7.65 Mb, but no content.
    Is it true the whole iso-image has got only 1 Mb in size?
    Maybe it is corrupt or I am simply too stupid to use it (what I don't hope)
    :-(
    Could you please upload the 8m.dd file somewhere? I would really appreciate
    it.

    > > system). Neither worked using the image as loopback device (losetup
    > > /dev/loop1 8m.dd ; mount /dev/loop1 /mnt), same error.
    > >
    > > How did you create this image and how can I get the files inside?

    > We can send you a CD, if you pay for the postage.

    I hope I can avoid this (yet). I don't want to spend some money on it. At
    least not yet.

    > By the way, the images are setup as broadband router/gateway and nfs on
    > the local side only (eth1). So you need two nics even if you don't use
    > it as router/gateway. You can of course change it as you wish.

    Regards,

    Sebastian

  13. Re: Minimal NFS server - what's needed?

    Sebastian wrote:
    > Hello,

    > http://cfd.linnix.com

    > > > It seems the CD isn't bootable.

    > > It should be bootable.

    > I cannot get it to boot, not even burned (Nero 6).
    >
    > > > At least I cannot get it to boot on my qemu
    > > > session; a DOS bootdisk won't recognize the image as "High Sierra or
    > > > ISO9660" compatible. I didn't burn it onto CD (yet) because the target
    > > > system doesn't have any drive.

    > > It is iso9660 with rockridge extension. Perhaps dos does not know
    > > about the extension.

    > Yes, but it should read it anyway, there's an iso9660.
    >
    > > > The 8m.dd file is the compact flash image? How can I put it onto my CF?
    > > > I tried "dd if=8m.dd of=/dev/sda" but that didn't work (no recognized

    > file
    > >
    > > It should be loaded with IDE device.
    > > dd if=8m.dd of=/dev/hda

    > If I do a "cat 8m.dd" or "type 8m.dd" I get lots of nothing, the file seems
    > to be completely empty. Extracted from the image (only WinImage can read it
    > as far) it has 7.65 Mb, but no content.
    > Is it true the whole iso-image has got only 1 Mb in size?

    The iso file should be 40M. We got lots of bandwidth hits after
    posting this link.

    > Maybe it is corrupt or I am simply too stupid to use it (what I don't hope)
    > :-(
    > Could you please upload the 8m.dd file somewhere? I would really appreciate
    > it.

    I will check into putting it in source forge or something.

    > > > system). Neither worked using the image as loopback device (losetup
    > > > /dev/loop1 8m.dd ; mount /dev/loop1 /mnt), same error.
    > > >
    > > > How did you create this image and how can I get the files inside?

    > > We can send you a CD, if you pay for the postage.

    > I hope I can avoid this (yet). I don't want to spend some money on it. At
    > least not yet.
    >
    > > By the way, the images are setup as broadband router/gateway and nfs on
    > > the local side only (eth1). So you need two nics even if you don't use
    > > it as router/gateway. You can of course change it as you wish.

    > Regards,
    >
    > Sebastian

+ Reply to Thread