What to use for RT tasks - Embedded

This is a discussion on What to use for RT tasks - Embedded ; Hello, I am working on a project that has some realtime requirements that will be put on an embedded machine. After writing a few regular Linux programs I noticed that the process was not being handled fast enough in some ...

  1. What to use for RT tasks

    Hello,
    I am working on a project that has some realtime requirements that will
    be put on an embedded machine. After writing a few regular Linux
    programs I noticed that the process was not being handled fast enough
    in some instances (like maybe once or twice per thousand iterations at
    a thousand iterations per second). So I got RTLinux and thought I
    would make the realtime stuff a realtime module. Well that has proven
    to be a complete monster. The realtime code needs to make some math
    library calls (acos and sqrt) and it needs to be able to read from a
    CAN (communication) device. I got the math portion to work after a
    while, but interfacing to the device looks be a big pain. Also this is
    not the only task in the project I am in that has realtime
    requirements. And I should add much of what is already done is done in
    C++ not C.
    So my question is this: is using RTLinux a good idea? Is there
    something better out there? Is there some good thorough documentation
    on RTLinux, perhaps even a book to buy? Should I just say forget it
    and write everything in regular user mode Linux.
    Things have just became way out of control and I am wondering if there
    is something better out there.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: What to use for RT tasks

    >RTLinux