    device?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Linux and ARM7

    On 2006-02-22, dutchman1234@hotmail.com wrote:

    > I'm looking into a RTOS and wanted to get some advice from the real
    > pros out there. Would linux be a good solution for an embedded medical
    > device?

    Embedded in a patient?

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! .. Like I always
    at say -- nothing can beat

  3. Re: Linux and ARM7

    Op Wed, 22 Feb 2006 02:20:45 +0100 schreef dutchman1234@hotmail.com
    :

    > I'm looking into a RTOS and wanted to get some advice from the real
    > pros out there. Would linux be a good solution for an embedded medical
    > device?

    It depends. If the device can hurt, mistreat or kill the patient, then
    no. If you want an RTOS, then no. Otherwise, it basically depends on
    requirements of graphics, I/O, response time and memory.

    http://www.opera.com/mail/

  4. Re: Linux and ARM7

    dutchman1234@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I'm looking into a RTOS and wanted to get some advice from the real
    > pros out there. Would linux be a good solution for an embedded medical
    > device?
    >
    > Thanks.

    nothing such non-predictable should be used in medical devices. but
    since I know that some companies use ARM7 with RT linux in critical
    areas, it should work if errors cant harm anybody.

  5. Re: Linux and ARM7

    dutchman1234@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I'm looking into a RTOS and wanted to get some advice from the real
    > pros out there. Would linux be a good solution for an embedded medical
    > device?

    Linux is not realtime and thus it's timing behavior is not 100 %
    predictable. Moreover Linux is huge and thus there might be weakly
    tested spots. So critical stuff might better be done in another
    environment (Not Windows, of course, as this is even less predictable.)

    You might want to take a look at stuff like "PIKE OS" (e.g.
    www.sysgo.com). This is a small real time OS that is commercially
    supported and certified and works together with Linux. So you can do the
    non-critical stuff (GUI, Network etc) in Linux. (I never used it so
    don't ask...)

    -Michael

+ Reply to Thread