GPRS card connected to the GPRS network in Linux 2.6.15, can send SMS messages, but still no internet? - Embedded

This is a discussion on GPRS card connected to the GPRS network in Linux 2.6.15, can send SMS messages, but still no internet? - Embedded ; Hi there, I have managed to get the Sony Ericsson GPRS GC89 card to connect to the T-Mobile GPRS network in Linux 2.6.15 and I got messages like these from pppd : Starting GPRS connect script... Setting the abort string ...

  1. GPRS card connected to the GPRS network in Linux 2.6.15, can send SMS messages, but still no internet?

    Hi there,

    I have managed to get the Sony Ericsson GPRS GC89 card to connect to the
    T-Mobile GPRS network in Linux 2.6.15 and I got messages like these from
    pppd :

    Starting GPRS connect script...

    Setting the abort string

    Initializing modem
    AT+cfun=1
    OK
    AT+cfun=1
    OK
    AT+cgreg=1
    OK
    Setting APN

    +CGREG: 5
    AT
    OK
    AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet3.voicestream.com"
    OK
    Dialing...

    AT+CGDCONT=2,"IP","internet3.voicestream.com"
    OK
    ATD*99***1#
    CONNECTSerial connection established.
    using channel 4
    Using interface ppp0
    Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS4
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x60 0x30bfe8> ]
    No auth is possible
    sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x60 ]
    rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x61
    ]
    sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x61
    ]
    sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 0.0.0.0>]
    rcvd [LCP ProtRej id=0x62 80 fd 01 01 00 0c 1a 04 78 00 18 04 78 00]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x60 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfRej id=0x60 ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 66.94.25.120>]
    sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 66.94.25.120>]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x61 ]
    sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x61 ]
    rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 66.94.25.120>]
    not replacing existing default route to eth0 [192.168.1.1]
    local IP address 72.250.5.8
    remote IP address 72.250.5.0
    primary DNS address 66.94.9.120
    secondary DNS address 66.94.25.120
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 10848)
    Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 10848), status = 0x0

    My connect script for pppd looks like:

    /dev/ttyS4
    57600
    lock
    crtscts
    methods
    modem
    defaultroute
    user ""
    password ""

    noipdefault
    usepeerdns
    novj
    noauth
    persist
    debug
    nodetach
    ipcp-max-configure 20
    maxfail 0
    connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -V -t3 -f /etc/ppp/peers/chat-gprs"

    So I apparently I have an ip address for my "ppp0" device in ifconfig:

    ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
    UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
    RX bytes:190 (190.0 b) TX bytes:511 (511.0 b)

    But I am apparently still not on the internet. Pinging anywhere doesn't
    work. However, I can successfully send SMS messages when I log onto the card
    using minicom and playing around with AT commands

    I was hoping to consult with everyone on what might be the problem here. Did
    I miss a specific step?

    Thanks in advance!
    I.S.

  2. Re: GPRS card connected to the GPRS network in Linux 2.6.15, can send SMS messages, but still no internet?

    D2army wrote:

    > But I am apparently still not on the internet. Pinging anywhere doesn't
    > work. However, I can successfully send SMS messages when I log onto the
    > card using minicom and playing around with AT commands

    how does your routing table (route -n) look like after the ppp connection
    has been established?

    Sven

    --
    "and on the third day he rebooted into Linux-1.3.84"
    (Linus Torvalds, Easter Kernel Release 1996)

    /me is giggls@ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web

  3. Re: GPRS card connected to the GPRS network in Linux 2.6.15, cansend SMS messages, but still no internet?

    D2army wrote:
    > So I apparently I have an ip address for my "ppp0" device in ifconfig:
    >
    > ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
    > UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    > collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
    > RX bytes:190 (190.0 b) TX bytes:511 (511.0 b)
    >

    > But I am apparently still not on the internet. Pinging anywhere doesn't

    where is the IP?

  4. Re: GPRS card connected to the GPRS network in Linux 2.6.15, can send SMS messages, but still no internet?

    Hi Sven

    yes, it is indeed a problem with the routing table, thanks. The connection
    process is unable to modify the routing table for some reason when my
    Ethernet is plugged in or enabled. I disabled the Ethernet, re-ran the
    connection script, the routing table does gets modified and now the
    connection works.

    However, the connection is rather unstable for some reason. I observed that
    if the network bandwidth gets too high(like around 113kbps) , the modem will
    hang up and the connection will terminate. Then if the script tries to
    reconnect and gets to the point of executing the AT+CGDCONT commands, I see
    a CME Error 3 which means operation not allowed. I will then minicom to the
    card and then try to do AT+CFUN=1 to reset the card, but after I execute
    that command, everything else i execute afterwards will give a CME Error 513
    which means Link Layer Error apparently

    I am wondering if this has something to do with how I wrote my Connection
    Script. The card connection is not this unstable when used in XP.

    "Sven Geggus" wrote in message
    > D2army wrote:
    >
    >> But I am apparently still not on the internet. Pinging anywhere doesn't
    >> work. However, I can successfully send SMS messages when I log onto the
    >> card using minicom and playing around with AT commands

    > how does your routing table (route -n) look like after the ppp connection
    > has been established?
    >
    > Sven
    >
    > --
    > "and on the third day he rebooted into Linux-1.3.84"
    > (Linus Torvalds, Easter Kernel Release
    > 1996)
    >
    > /me is giggls@ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web

  5. Re: GPRS card connected to the GPRS network in Linux 2.6.15, can send SMS messages, but still no internet?

    D2army wrote:

    > However, the connection is rather unstable for some reason. I
    > observed that if the network bandwidth gets too high(like
    > around 113kbps) , the modem will hang up and the connection
    > will terminate. Then if the script tries to reconnect and gets
    > to the point of executing the AT+CGDCONT commands, I see
    > a CME Error 3 which means operation not allowed.

    Unless I'm mistaken, your "AT+CGDCONT" needs to be executed once
    only, when you first set your device up for your particular
    carrier. That setting should then persist through sessions and
    power-ups indefinitely.

    John

  6. Re: GPRS card connected to the GPRS network in Linux 2.6.15, can send SMS messages, but still no internet?

    Hi John

    I believe you are right, but when pppd is going to do a reconnection after
    getting disconnected, it will just call the same connect script. This means
    those AT+CGDCONT commands will inevitably get called again.

    Is it possible to just jump straight to dialing ( "ATD*99***1#" ) during a
    reconnection? Is this the right thing to do anyway?

    Thanks!
    I.S.

    "John Henderson" wrote in message
    > D2army wrote:
    >
    >> However, the connection is rather unstable for some reason. I
    >> observed that if the network bandwidth gets too high(like
    >> around 113kbps) , the modem will hang up and the connection
    >> will terminate. Then if the script tries to reconnect and gets
    >> to the point of executing the AT+CGDCONT commands, I see
    >> a CME Error 3 which means operation not allowed.

    > Unless I'm mistaken, your "AT+CGDCONT" needs to be executed once
    > only, when you first set your device up for your particular
    > carrier. That setting should then persist through sessions and
    > power-ups indefinitely.
    >
    > John

  7. Re: GPRS card connected to the GPRS network in Linux 2.6.15, can send SMS messages, but still no internet?

    D2army wrote:

    > Is it possible to just jump straight to dialing (
    > "ATD*99***1#" ) during a reconnection? Is this the right
    > thing to do anyway?

    That's what I do (Linux kppp dialer). Otherwise only an "ATZ"
    command gets executed in my GPRS setup (Wavecom external modem
    attached to /dev/ttyS0).

    John

  8. Re: GPRS card connected to the GPRS network in Linux 2.6.15, can send SMS messages, but still no internet?

    Yea, ATZ attempts to restore the card to the factory settings.

    But sometimes if I get disconnected, and then I try to even do ATZ, I still
    get a CME Error 513

    By the way, is there a GUI version of a ppp program for Gnome? I think KPPP
    is for KDE

    Thanks

    > D2army wrote:
    >
    >> Is it possible to just jump straight to dialing (
    >> "ATD*99***1#" ) during a reconnection? Is this the right
    >> thing to do anyway?

    > That's what I do (Linux kppp dialer). Otherwise only an "ATZ"
    > command gets executed in my GPRS setup (Wavecom external modem
    > attached to /dev/ttyS0).
    >
    > John

  9. Re: GPRS card connected to the GPRS network in Linux 2.6.15, can send SMS messages, but still no internet?

    D2army wrote:

    > Yea, ATZ attempts to restore the card to the factory settings.

    Just in case it matters at some stage, "ATZ" restores the
    default configuration (which needn't be factory defaults - you
    can make certain changes, and use "AT&W" to write them).
    "AT&F" is the command to reset to factory defaults.

    > But sometimes if I get disconnected, and then I try to even do
    > ATZ, I still get a CME Error 513

    Have you tried the "AT+CGACT?" command to check your attachment
    status? Or the "AT+CGACT=0,1" command to specifically
    deactivate the current session prior to trying again?

    > By the way, is there a GUI version of a ppp program for Gnome?
    > I think KPPP is for KDE

    I didn't find one when I looked around on my system for it some
    time ago. I'm fairly sure I read about something once though.
    Maybe someone else knows.

    John

+ Reply to Thread