Building a cheap Linux-capable circuit. - Embedded

This is a discussion on Building a cheap Linux-capable circuit. - Embedded ; I'm looking at building a low-cost embedded unit. We have experience of using the Cirrus ARM9 SOC. I want to build a replacement at lowest BOM cost. It needs to be capable of running proper, not uC Linux. I suppose ...

  1. Building a cheap Linux-capable circuit.

    I'm looking at building a low-cost embedded unit.

    We have experience of using the Cirrus ARM9 SOC.

    I want to build a replacement at lowest BOM cost.

    It needs to be capable of running proper, not uC Linux.

    I suppose I want to use a single RAM chip ( if I can fit footprint ) and
    a single Flash - probably a NAND.

    Lots of UARTs would be good.

    In-built AtoD would be good too.

    Any suggestions?

    And if I did go mad, and decide to put up with uC Linux... Is there a
    genuine single-chip ARM or other device which can give me a reasonable
    development environment? Does there exist a Linux for the Atmel
    single-chipper with 2M Flash and 256K RAM? AT91FR40162S

    David Collier

    email can be sent to Dexdyne.com , under name from_usenet@

  2. Re: Building a cheap Linux-capable circuit.

    > I'm looking at building a low-cost embedded unit.
    > I want to build a replacement at lowest BOM cost.

    Why do you need Linux. If the BOM is a lot more important than
    development cost, Linux only is viable for quite complex devices. For
    many devices there are alternatives with a lot smaller footprint (e.g.
    take a look at www.ubicom.com).

    -Michael

  3. Re: Building a cheap Linux-capable circuit.

    On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 11:17:00 +0000, David Collier wrote:

    > I'm looking at building a low-cost embedded unit.

    www.axis.com

    They have a single chip device, including processor, ethernet, memory
    etcetera. Add a power supply, connector with transformer for ethernet,
    rs232 chip and you've got a complete system running the 2.6 kernel. There
    are also a couple of dev boards available.

    Dan

    > We have experience of using the Cirrus ARM9 SOC.
    >
    > I want to build a replacement at lowest BOM cost.
    >
    > It needs to be capable of running proper, not uC Linux.
    >
    > I suppose I want to use a single RAM chip ( if I can fit footprint ) and a
    > single Flash - probably a NAND.
    >
    > Lots of UARTs would be good.
    >
    > In-built AtoD would be good too.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > ================================================== =
    >
    > And if I did go mad, and decide to put up with uC Linux... Is there a
    > genuine single-chip ARM or other device which can give me a reasonable
    > development environment? Does there exist a Linux for the Atmel
    > single-chipper with 2M Flash and 256K RAM? AT91FR40162S
    >

    > David Collier
    >
    > email can be sent to Dexdyne.com , under name from_usenet@

  4. Re: Building a cheap Linux-capable circuit.

    In article ,
    dan@localhost.localdomain (Dan N) wrote:

    > > I'm looking at building a low-cost embedded unit.

    > www.axis.com
    >
    > They have a single chip device, including processor, ethernet, memory
    > etcetera. Add a power supply, connector with transformer for
    > ethernet,
    > rs232 chip and you've got a complete system running the 2.6 kernel.
    > There
    > are also a couple of dev boards available.

    I don' think that's the sort of cheap I mean :-)

    I can buy the Samsung 2410 CPU for $10ish, and a single NAND flash and
    RAM, and have a working chipset for around $24. I'm building a PCB anyway.

    My question is, really, are there any ARM-9 CPUs I've not looked at
    which list much cheaper?

    David Collier

    email can be sent to Dexdyne.com , under name from_usenet@

  5. Re: Building a cheap Linux-capable circuit.

    In article ,
    mschnell_at_bschnell_dot_de@aol.com (Michael Schnell) wrote:

    > > I'm looking at building a low-cost embedded unit.
    > > I want to build a replacement at lowest BOM cost.

    > Why do you need Linux. If the BOM is a lot more important than
    > development cost, Linux only is viable for quite complex devices. For
    > many devices there are alternatives with a lot smaller footprint
    > (e.g. take a look at www.ubicom.com).

    I don't need Linux... but our current product is built on it. If I go
    for something like an AT91SAM256 device, we are into a much longer
    development cycle. ( and probably an RTOS sign-up )

    David Collier

    email can be sent to Dexdyne.com , under name from_usenet@

  6. Re: Building a cheap Linux-capable circuit.

    David Collier wrote:

    > My question is, really, are there any ARM-9 CPUs I've not looked at
    > which list much cheaper?

    Cirrus CS9301/CS9302?
    Should quote well under $10 in reasonable volume.
    I'm shooting for a 32M/32M core with Ethernet for around $20.

  7. Re: Building a cheap Linux-capable circuit.

    funnily enough we have lots of experience with the EP9312, and had
    pretty much come to the conclusion that the 9301 was the best way to go
    cheaper, quickly.

    I wish it booted from NAND though :-)

    In article <8p5Hf.54656$PL5.21765@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
    nospam@spam.com (Anders) wrote:

    > Subject: Re: Building a cheap Linux-capable circuit.
    > From: Anders
    > Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:00:20 GMT
    >
    > David Collier wrote:
    >
    > > My question is, really, are there any ARM-9 CPUs I've not looked at
    > > which list much cheaper?

    > Cirrus CS9301/CS9302?
    > Should quote well under $10 in reasonable volume.
    > I'm shooting for a 32M/32M core with Ethernet for around $20.

+ Reply to Thread