IMX 31 phytec hardware not booting up showing kernel panic - Embedded

This is a discussion on IMX 31 phytec hardware not booting up showing kernel panic - Embedded ; Dear all, I am using a iMX 31 phytec development board with linux as target and a x86 machine with 10.2 suse linux as host platform. The target is booting up successfully with the original image . I just tried ...

  1. IMX 31 phytec hardware not booting up showing kernel panic

    Dear all,

    I am using a iMX 31 phytec development board with linux as target and
    a x86 machine with 10.2 suse linux as host platform.

    The target is booting up successfully with the original image . I just
    tried to compile the target linux source package and downlaoded into
    RAM and then copied into flash I am getting the message

    No filesystem could mount root,tried:jffs2
    kernel panic-not syncing:VFS:unable to mount root fs on unknown-
    block(2,0)

    here is some settings in config file

    #
    # Boot options
    #
    CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_TEXT=0x0
    CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_BSS=0x0
    CONFIG_CMDLINE="noinitrd console=ttymxc0 root=/dev/mtdblock2 rw
    ip=off"
    # CONFIG_XIP_KERNEL is not set

    # Memory Technology Devices (MTD)
    #
    CONFIG_MTD=y
    # CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG is not set
    # CONFIG_MTD_CONCAT is not set
    CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS=y
    # CONFIG_MTD_REDBOOT_PARTS is not set
    CONFIG_MTD_CMDLINE_PARTS=y
    # CONFIG_MTD_AFS_PARTS is not set

    # Miscellaneous filesystems

    CONFIG_JFFS2_FS=y
    CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_DEBUG=0
    CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_WRITEBUFFER=y
    # CONFIG_JFFS2_SUMMARY is not set
    # CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_XATTR is not set
    # CONFIG_JFFS2_COMPRESSION_OPTIONS is not set
    CONFIG_JFFS2_ZLIB=y
    CONFIG_JFFS2_RTIME=y
    # CONFIG_JFFS2_RUBIN is not set

    Do I need to set any variable using setenv on uboot prompt

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: IMX 31 phytec hardware not booting up showing kernel panic

    On Sep 17, 4:03*am, nagu wrote:
    > Dear all,
    >
    > I am using a iMX 31 phytec development board with linux as target and
    > a x86 machine with 10.2 suse linux as host platform.
    >
    > The target is booting up successfully with the original image . I just
    > tried to compile the target linux source package and downlaoded into
    > RAM and then copied into flash I am getting the message
    >
    > No filesystem could mount root,tried:jffs2
    > kernel panic-not syncing:VFS:unable to mount root fs on unknown-
    > block(2,0)
    >
    > here is some settings in config file
    >
    > #
    > # Boot options
    > #
    > CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_TEXT=0x0
    > CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_BSS=0x0
    > CONFIG_CMDLINE="noinitrd console=ttymxc0 root=/dev/mtdblock2 rw
    > ip=off"
    > # CONFIG_XIP_KERNEL is not set
    >
    > # Memory Technology Devices (MTD)
    > #
    > CONFIG_MTD=y
    > # CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG is not set
    > # CONFIG_MTD_CONCAT is not set
    > CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS=y
    > # CONFIG_MTD_REDBOOT_PARTS is not set
    > CONFIG_MTD_CMDLINE_PARTS=y
    > # CONFIG_MTD_AFS_PARTS is not set
    >
    > # Miscellaneous filesystems
    >
    > CONFIG_JFFS2_FS=y
    > CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_DEBUG=0
    > CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_WRITEBUFFER=y
    > # CONFIG_JFFS2_SUMMARY is not set
    > # CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_XATTR is not set
    > # CONFIG_JFFS2_COMPRESSION_OPTIONS is not set
    > CONFIG_JFFS2_ZLIB=y
    > CONFIG_JFFS2_RTIME=y
    > # CONFIG_JFFS2_RUBIN is not set
    >
    > Do I need to set any variable using setenv on uboot prompt
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    First of all what did you mount as root when using the original image
    (was it NFS, Ramdisk ....) ? Try passing what ever root arguments you
    pass in to the original image from Uboot.

  3. Re: IMX 31 phytec hardware not booting up showing kernel panic

    On Sep 16, 5:09*pm, Janaka wrote:
    > On Sep 17, 4:03*am, nagu wrote:
    >

    > > Dear all,

    > > I am using a iMX 31 phytec development board with linux as target and
    > > a x86 machine with 10.2 suse linux as host platform.

    > > The target is booting up successfully with the original image . I just
    > > tried to compile the target linux source package and downlaoded into
    > > RAM and then copied into flash I am getting the message

    > > No filesystem could mount root,tried:jffs2
    > > kernel panic-not syncing:VFS:unable to mount root fs on unknown-
    > > block(2,0)

    > > here is some settings in config file

    > > #
    > > # Boot options
    > > #
    > > CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_TEXT=0x0
    > > CONFIG_ZBOOT_ROM_BSS=0x0
    > > CONFIG_CMDLINE="noinitrd console=ttymxc0 root=/dev/mtdblock2 rw
    > > ip=off"
    > > # CONFIG_XIP_KERNEL is not set

    > > # Memory Technology Devices (MTD)
    > > #
    > > CONFIG_MTD=y
    > > # CONFIG_MTD_DEBUG is not set
    > > # CONFIG_MTD_CONCAT is not set
    > > CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS=y
    > > # CONFIG_MTD_REDBOOT_PARTS is not set
    > > CONFIG_MTD_CMDLINE_PARTS=y
    > > # CONFIG_MTD_AFS_PARTS is not set

    > > # Miscellaneous filesystems

    > > CONFIG_JFFS2_FS=y
    > > CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_DEBUG=0
    > > CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_WRITEBUFFER=y
    > > # CONFIG_JFFS2_SUMMARY is not set
    > > # CONFIG_JFFS2_FS_XATTR is not set
    > > # CONFIG_JFFS2_COMPRESSION_OPTIONS is not set
    > > CONFIG_JFFS2_ZLIB=y
    > > CONFIG_JFFS2_RTIME=y
    > > # CONFIG_JFFS2_RUBIN is not set

    > > Do I need to set any variable using setenv on uboot prompt

    > > Thanks in advance

    > First of all what did you mount as root when using the original image
    > (was it NFS, Ramdisk ....) ? *Try passing what ever root arguments you
    > pass in to the original image from Uboot.

    Hi Janaka,

    The original image mounted over the mtdblock device- flash with jffs2

    Here are the environment variables in the uboot command line parameter

    uboot>
    printenv
    bootdelay=3
    baudrate=115200
    netmask=255.255.255.0
    nfsrootfs=/
    nfsroot
    bootc192.168.3.11
    serverip=192.168.3.10
    root=/dev/
    mtdblock3
    bootargs_flash=setenv bootargs root=31:03
    rootfstype=jffs2
    mtdparts=phys_mapped_flash.0:128k(uboot)ro,128k(en v),1792k(kernel),-
    (jffs2 fs)ro
    root=/dev/
    mtdblock3
    stdin=serial
    stdout=serial
    stderr=serial

    the result of cat /proc/partition (original image)

    root@phyCORE-iMX31:/proc cat partitions
    major minor #blocks name

    31 0 128 mtdblock0
    31 1 128 mtdblock1
    31 2 1792 mtdblock2
    31 3 15360 mtdblock3
    31 4 15360 mtdblock4
    31 5 16 mtdblock5
    31 6 4096 mtdblock6
    31 7 20480 mtdblock7
    31 8 40944 mtdblock8

    The result of cat /proc/mtd (original image)

    root@phyCORE-iMX31:/proc cat mtd
    dev: size erasesize name
    mtd0: 00020000 00008000 "U-Boot"
    mtd1: 00020000 00020000 "Env"
    mtd2: 001c0000 00020000 "Kernel"
    mtd3: 00f00000 00020000 "Rootfs"
    mtd4: 00f00000 00020000 "Kernel High"
    mtd5: 00004000 00004000 "IPL-SPL"
    mtd6: 00400000 00004000 "nand.kernel"
    mtd7: 01400000 00004000 "nand.rootfs"
    mtd8: 027fc000 00004000 "nand.userfs"

    The kernel image was copied to mtdblock2
    file system image was copied to mtdblock3

    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread