cross-installing grub : what next - Embedded

This is a discussion on cross-installing grub : what next - Embedded ; Hello all, I've come to creating an image (busybox, kernel, etc.) of which I THINK it would work, once deployed on my target. I did this using ptxdist's cross-compilation possibilities. My host system is a i686 architecture, my target is ...

  1. cross-installing grub : what next

    Hello all,

    I've come to creating an image (busybox, kernel, etc.) of which I
    THINK it would work, once deployed on my target. I did this using
    ptxdist's cross-compilation possibilities. My host system is a i686
    architecture, my target is a Geode EmCORE-n511 (so an i586
    architecture).

    Now I have the next problem, being to cross-compile grub for it, and
    to install it on my target hardware (via an image). All of this, I'd
    like to continue to do this using ptxdist, preferably. BUT... I have
    some questions :

    1. would someone have an example (or some useful links) on how I
    should do this, continuing to make use of ptxdist ?
    2. how can I determine what devicename the CF socket- inserted disk
    will have ? I think I should know this for my /etc/fstab ?

    Thank you, and kind regards,

    PhB

  2. Re: cross-installing grub : what next

    PhB wrote:
    > I've come to creating an image (busybox, kernel, etc.) of which I
    > THINK it would work, once deployed on my target. I did this using
    > ptxdist's cross-compilation possibilities. My host system is a i686
    > architecture, my target is a Geode EmCORE-n511 (so an i586
    > architecture).
    >
    > Now I have the next problem, being to cross-compile grub for it, and
    > to install it on my target hardware (via an image). All of this, I'd
    > like to continue to do this using ptxdist, preferably. BUT... I have
    > some questions :
    >
    > 1. would someone have an example (or some useful links) on how I
    > should do this, continuing to make use of ptxdist ?

    The ptxdist-2 (or 1.99.x) can generate harddisk images that include the root
    filesystem and the grub loader. So a simple "dd" command can make your disk
    bootable.

    > 2. how can I determine what devicename the CF socket- inserted disk
    > will have ? I think I should know this for my /etc/fstab ?

    On your host or on your target?

    BTW: There is a much better chance to get answers about ptxdist related
    questions at "ptxdist@pengutronix.de" (subscribtion required,
    refer "PTXdist: PTXdist Developer Mailinglist." at
    http://www.pengutronix.de/mailinglists/index_en.html).

    jbe

+ Reply to Thread