Looking for accessory cards - Embedded

This is a discussion on Looking for accessory cards - Embedded ; I am contemplating building a somewhat complex heating control system. I find lots of sites that will sell me a single board computer, but not a lot of information on what bits and pieces I might need to go with ...

  1. Looking for accessory cards

    I am contemplating building a somewhat complex heating control system. I
    find lots of sites that will sell me a single board computer, but not a
    lot of information on what bits and pieces I might need to go with it,
    nor whether it can be mixed and matched with accessories from other
    suppliers.

    And, on top of that, SBCs tend to be pricey - in fact the cheapest
    solution to to buy a slug (NSUl2), but then you have the problem that
    everything else has to come in the form of external USB-pluggable devices
    and you finish up with a bird's nest :-(.

    What I need is:

    SBC ARM-based with 32MB Ram, 16MB flash (or, better, room to add a
    memstick with just a bootloader in the onboard flash), ethernet
    connection, and some bus with a well-established interface.

    Additional card for A/D converter(s)

    Additional card for connection to push buttons, external relays, etc.

    Additional card for LCD with maybe 100x100 pixels.

    Possibly wifi card.

    Possible battery backup.

    Plus, of course, powersupply, enlosure, etc.

    I have no problem with hacking the enclosure to take it all, and to
    provide bits of straightforward circuitry for sensors, pushbuttone, etc.

    And I have head that the PFI bus might be sensible for the purpose.

    But adding up all those cards from the sites that I have seen seems to be
    a bit pricey :-( .

    Suggestions, preferably for stuff obtainable in the UK, or at least in
    Europe?

    Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
    Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
    PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

  2. Re: Looking for accessory cards

    On 25 elo, 18:52, "Charles Lindsey" wrote:

    > Suggestions, preferably for stuff obtainable in the UK, or at least in
    > Europe?

    TS-7200, depending of course on the definition of "pricey".
    http://www.embeddedarm.com/

  3. Re: Looking for accessory cards

    In Janne writes:

    >On 25 elo, 18:52, "Charles Lindsey" wrote:

    >> Suggestions, preferably for stuff obtainable in the UK, or at least in
    >> Europe?
    >>

    >TS-7200, depending of course on the definition of "pricey".
    >http://www.embeddedarm.com/

    Yes, that was one of the sites I had looked at, but was put off when I saw
    the blatant "Qty 100" box (I should have read closer).

    But there is no mention of availability in the UK, and I expect Import
    Duty and Tax would add quite a bit :-( .

    Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
    Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
    PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5

+ Reply to Thread