JTAG on embedded platforms - Embedded

This is a discussion on JTAG on embedded platforms - Embedded ; Hello. I'm not sure but.... there could be 3 different answers.. 1. JTAG is standard and while You think about basic functions like boundary scan, then Yes, any JTAG should work with any board. (sometimes different connector or pinouts & ...

  1. Re: JTAG on embedded platforms

    Hello.

    I'm not sure but....
    there could be 3 different answers..
    1. JTAG is standard and while You think about basic functions like
    boundary scan, then
    Yes, any JTAG should work with any board. (sometimes different connector
    or pinouts & Vcc level).

    2. Partially Yes, while you think about microcontrollers e.g. ARM7 or
    ARM9, from several manufacturers.
    basic debugging should work (e.g openocd&gnu tools & Eclipse) but flash
    programming is manufacturer dependend.
    And of course different boards must have different flash programming
    commands. e.g in-chip flash vs external.

    3. No. JTAG is also used for FPGA, AVR, MIPS and many other devices - then
    You should have a several different JTAG devices.

    Hmm, not true. Maybe single hardware would be sufficient but
    software&drivers different for sure.

    I recently bought this:
    http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?f...Freaks%20Tools

    single device - swith jumper and You have different JTAG.

    Maybe manufacturer is going to add more supported targets in future? Try
    ask.
    It works perfect for me. (I use that "USB JTAG A1" device for AVR ISP,
    AVR JTAG, ARM7 JTAG, ARM9 JTAG & FPGA JTAG) - it have 4 different
    connectors.

    So, If You want universal JTAG device, maybe there is already another
    universal JTAG device even more powerfull? Google is Your friend.

    M.K.

    Roman Mashak pisze:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I don't quite understand -- is it necessary to have a specific JTAG device
    > for every specific board or it may be generally used on a variety of
    > platforms. As I see, it is standard, so as long as a development board or
    > chip is JTAG-conformant, any JTAG may be used with any platform. Or the
    > other way, it's chip specific and entirely depends on manufacturer?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for clarifying this.
    >
    > Best regards, Roman Mashak

  2. JTAG on embedded platforms

    Hello,

    I don't quite understand -- is it necessary to have a specific JTAG device
    for every specific board or it may be generally used on a variety of
    platforms. As I see, it is standard, so as long as a development board or
    chip is JTAG-conformant, any JTAG may be used with any platform. Or the
    other way, it's chip specific and entirely depends on manufacturer?

    Thanks in advance for clarifying this.

    Best regards, Roman Mashak

+ Reply to Thread