start process & disconnect without nohup - Embedded

This is a discussion on start process & disconnect without nohup - Embedded ; I'm using MontaVista Linux on an embedded processor. When I telnet in, then run a process, then quit, it kills the process. How can I keep the process running after I log out? Note, I don't have "nohup" OR "screen". ...

  1. start process & disconnect without nohup

    I'm using MontaVista Linux on an embedded processor. When I telnet in,
    then run a process, then quit, it kills the process.

    How can I keep the process running after I log out? Note, I don't have
    "nohup" OR "screen".

    Alternatively, what commands can I use to reboot the box (which
    effectively restarts the process)?

  2. Re: start process & disconnect without nohup

    anvilsoup wrote:

    > I'm using MontaVista Linux on an embedded processor. When I telnet in,
    > then run a process, then quit, it kills the process.
    >
    > How can I keep the process running after I log out? Note, I don't have
    > "nohup" OR "screen".

    maybe you can do (in bash):
    $ myproc &
    $ disown %%
    $ exit

    > Alternatively, what commands can I use to reboot the box (which
    > effectively restarts the process)?

    'reboot' + start-stop script in /etc/rcX.d or in /etc/rc.local
    or montavista equivalent?

    if I'm not missing something all your questions are pretty well covered
    in linux boot process description and bash reference manual, so maybe
    that's the good starting point.

    regards,
    Mario

  3. Re: start process & disconnect without nohup

    Kewl. Didn't know about the the "disown" command. Sounds pretty harsh
    if you're a disowned child prcess hey.

    All I have is "busybox", with "ash" as the shell. So I don't have
    "disown". "reboot" causes the device to shutdown and not wake up again.
    I checked "rc6.d" and there's a "reboot -d -f -i" command in it, but
    the device shuts down and doesn't reboot. Must be some hardware
    "feature".

    But it's all good. I found that "init -q" seems to warm start the
    system which is good enough for me. So Problem Solved.

+ Reply to Thread