recommendation: stand alone cheap box - Embedded

This is a discussion on recommendation: stand alone cheap box - Embedded ; Hello there, I'm looking for a stand alone Linux box that would enable me to sniff (and maybe block) network traffic of my small network (e.g., ~10 workstations). The requirements are probably something like: 1. Developer friendly. I would like ...

  1. recommendation: stand alone cheap box

    Hello there,

    I'm looking for a stand alone Linux box that would enable me to sniff
    (and maybe block) network traffic of my small network (e.g., ~10
    workstations).

    The requirements are probably something like:
    1. Developer friendly. I would like to install my sniffer on this box.
    It is written in C, so I probably need full gcc support.
    2. Not too much memory. Probably 64-128MB would be enough.
    3. CPU speed not important. I assume that any 200MHz processor should
    be enough.
    4. Most importantly: at least two Ethernet ports.
    5. Should be as cheap as possible.

    I would appreciate any recommendation.

    Regards,

    Shai Rubin

  2. Re: recommendation: stand alone cheap box

    Hi Shai,

    shai@cs.wisc.edu wrote:
    > Hello there,
    >
    > I'm looking for a stand alone Linux box that would enable me to sniff
    > (and maybe block) network traffic of my small network (e.g., ~10
    > workstations).
    >
    > The requirements are probably something like:
    > 1. Developer friendly. I would like to install my sniffer on this box.
    > It is written in C, so I probably need full gcc support.
    > 2. Not too much memory. Probably 64-128MB would be enough.
    > 3. CPU speed not important. I assume that any 200MHz processor should
    > be enough.
    > 4. Most importantly: at least two Ethernet ports.
    > 5. Should be as cheap as possible.

    Coud this be something for you: http://www.gumstix.com/spexwaysmalls.html ?

    Never used it but it keeps poping up as an answer to that type of question.

    Best regards,

    Alain

  3. Re: recommendation: stand alone cheap box

    Alain,

    Thanks for the information, I googled this site too. Does anybody on
    this list has any experience with these systems?

    Shai
    Alain Mosnier wrote:
    > Hi Shai,
    >
    > shai@cs.wisc.edu wrote:
    > > Hello there,
    > >
    > > I'm looking for a stand alone Linux box that would enable me to sniff
    > > (and maybe block) network traffic of my small network (e.g., ~10
    > > workstations).
    > >
    > > The requirements are probably something like:
    > > 1. Developer friendly. I would like to install my sniffer on this box.
    > > It is written in C, so I probably need full gcc support.
    > > 2. Not too much memory. Probably 64-128MB would be enough.
    > > 3. CPU speed not important. I assume that any 200MHz processor should
    > > be enough.
    > > 4. Most importantly: at least two Ethernet ports.
    > > 5. Should be as cheap as possible.
    > >

    > Coud this be something for you: http://www.gumstix.com/spexwaysmalls.html ?
    >
    > Never used it but it keeps poping up as an answer to that type of question.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Alain

  4. Re: recommendation: stand alone cheap box

    What you'd be looking at is the netDUO expansion card along with a
    connex-based gumstix. You'd probably want to go for the connex 200xm,
    since as you say, 200MHz is generally plenty to keep up with typical
    traffic on a 100mbit network. If you're really saturating the 100mbit,
    you'll probably drop some packets. In my testing, from userspace I can
    read about 60mbit/s on the 200MHz gumstix, about 80mbit with the 400MHz
    version using a UDP socket. A kernel traffic generator/sink has no
    trouble keeping up with 100mbit at 200MHz. The CPU gets pegged at 100%
    though when transfering the data from kernel space to userspace -- so
    if you really need to deal with max bitrate, you'll want to figure out
    how to efficiently transfer the data from kernel space to userspace.

    There are commercial products starting to come online too, built on top
    of the gumstix/netDUO combination, with proprietary security software
    stuff on top. http://www.arxeco.com/ is one example; iirc they're
    using the 400MHz CPU with the netDUO card, in their own custom case.

    Hope this is helpful info for you,

    Craig Hughes
    CTO, gumstix

  5. Re: recommendation: stand alone cheap box

    shai@cs.wisc.edu wrote:
    > Hello there,
    >
    > I'm looking for a stand alone Linux box that would enable me to sniff
    > (and maybe block) network traffic of my small network (e.g., ~10
    > workstations).
    >
    > The requirements are probably something like:
    > 1. Developer friendly. I would like to install my sniffer on this box.
    > It is written in C, so I probably need full gcc support.
    > 2. Not too much memory. Probably 64-128MB would be enough.
    > 3. CPU speed not important. I assume that any 200MHz processor should
    > be enough.
    > 4. Most importantly: at least two Ethernet ports.
    > 5. Should be as cheap as possible.
    >

    > I would appreciate any recommendation.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Shai Rubin

    recomandation for what?
    You have the details layed out right there. You want a uClinux system?
    or some sort of uCdimm/simm? I really dont see why you dont just setup
    an old system like the one above with 2 nics and install whatever linux
    distro you will (they all include GCC.. just remember to sellect it
    during install).

  6. Re: recommendation: stand alone cheap box

    You might want to take a look at the Linksys NSLU2.The free Linux OS for
    same is called "UNSLUNG".

    -Michael

  7. Re: recommendation: stand alone cheap box

    shai@cs.wisc.edu wrote:
    > I'm looking for a stand alone Linux box that would enable me to sniff
    > (and maybe block) network traffic of my small network (e.g., ~10
    > workstations).
    >
    > The requirements are probably something like:
    > 1. Developer friendly. I would like to install my sniffer on this box.
    > It is written in C, so I probably need full gcc support.
    > 2. Not too much memory. Probably 64-128MB would be enough.
    > 3. CPU speed not important. I assume that any 200MHz processor should
    > be enough.
    > 4. Most importantly: at least two Ethernet ports.
    > 5. Should be as cheap as possible.

    A Soekris 4501?

    http://www.soekris.com/

+ Reply to Thread