[NU:BE] Gumstix Computer - Embedded

This is a discussion on [NU:BE] Gumstix Computer - Embedded ; Morning all. I'm new to the world of embedded systems but have played around with Linux a fair bit. I seem to be getting smaller with my computers, quad core, mini itx, mini laptop, and now hopefully, a gumstix pc. ...

  1. [NU:BE] Gumstix Computer

    Morning all.
    I'm new to the world of embedded systems but have played around with Linux a
    fair bit. I seem to be getting smaller with my computers, quad core, mini
    itx, mini laptop, and now hopefully, a gumstix pc.
    First off, is there anyone in the uk who sells these? I don't mind getting
    one form the USA but would be easier for me if a supplier is uk based.

    I've had a couple of ideas for things to do with one. And am wondering if
    its possible.
    (Remember I'm new to this, I've only just found them out from this group
    about 30 mins ago and have had a quick scan at there web site!)

    A mini web browser, nothing fancy just wifi and viewing basic web pages (and
    this news group!) Maybe enough for Google web apps?

    A mini car "ipod" maybe storing tunes on a USB stick

    A very tiny pc, sort of a basic student pc.

    Cheers for any help you can offer.

    --
    All your carrots are belong to me.

  2. Re: [NU:BE] Gumstix Computer

    Digital Donkey wrote:
    > I seem to be getting smaller with my computers, quad core, mini
    > itx, mini laptop, and now hopefully, a gumstix pc.

    Gumstix are good but a little expensive with all the
    little adapters and add-on cards. You might consider
    using a Beagle board with the latest TI ARM processor
    ($150 at Digi-Key) or my favorite, the AVR32 based
    NGW100 ($90 at Digi-Key).

    Gumstix is good, but just fyi ....

    Bob Smith

  3. Re: [NU:BE] Gumstix Computer

    Digital Donkey wrote:

    > Morning all.
    > I'm new to the world of embedded systems but have played around with Linux
    > a fair bit. I seem to be getting smaller with my computers, quad core,
    > mini itx, mini laptop, and now hopefully, a gumstix pc.
    > First off, is there anyone in the uk who sells these? I don't mind getting
    > one form the USA but would be easier for me if a supplier is uk based.
    >
    > I've had a couple of ideas for things to do with one. And am wondering if
    > its possible.
    > (Remember I'm new to this, I've only just found them out from this group
    > about 30 mins ago and have had a quick scan at there web site!)
    >
    > A mini web browser, nothing fancy just wifi and viewing basic web pages
    > (and this news group!) Maybe enough for Google web apps?
    >
    > A mini car "ipod" maybe storing tunes on a USB stick
    >
    > A very tiny pc, sort of a basic student pc.
    >
    > Cheers for any help you can offer.

    You can't beat an atmel NGW100... not as small as a gumstix, but about half
    the price...

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

+ Reply to Thread