Embedded Linux Firmware/Driver Wiz? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Embedded Linux Firmware/Driver Wiz? - Embedded ; Can anyone recommend any books/web resources on embedded linux -- how the various kernels/configurations differ, general architectural principles, how to get RTOS-like behavior, etc? thanks morgan...

  1. Embedded Linux Firmware/Driver Wiz?

    Can anyone recommend any books/web resources on embedded linux -- how the
    various kernels/configurations differ, general architectural principles, how
    to get RTOS-like behavior, etc?

    thanks

    morgan

  2. Re: Embedded Linux Firmware/Driver Wiz?

    Sure, here are two books that have benefitted me:

    The Linux TCP/IP Stack : Networking for Embedded Systems by Thomas
    Herbert

    and

    Linux Kernel Development 2nd Edition by Robert Love

    A good link:

  3. Re: Embedded Linux Firmware/Driver Wiz?

    Building embedded linux systems by Karim Yaghmour,oreilly pubs is an
    excelent book for embedded linux.

    regards
    sundar

  4. Re: Embedded Linux Firmware/Driver Wiz?

    Morgan Venable wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend any books/web resources on embedded linux -- how the
    > various kernels/configurations differ, general architectural principles, how
    > to get RTOS-like behavior, etc?

    Building Embedded Linux Systems:

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/belinuxsys/

    Linux Device Drivers, 3rd Edition:

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxdrive3/index.html

    O'Reilly has made this available for free online here:

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linux...book/index.csp

    The O'Reilly books are IMO much better than other embedded linux books
    you might encounter.

    If you are using PowerPC, u-boot is a great boot loader:

    http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG

    Real-time extensions:

    http://www.timesys.com/
    http://www.lynuxworks.com/
    http://www.fsmlabs.com/index.php

    LinuxDevices.com has articles on various topics relating to embedded linux:

    http://www.linuxdevices.com/index.html

    For example, see

    Gregg

  5. Re: Embedded Linux Firmware/Driver Wiz?

    Morgan Venable wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend any books/web resources on embedded linux -- how the
    > various kernels/configurations differ, general architectural principles, how
    > to get RTOS-like behavior, etc?

    I forgot to mention another resource that may or may not be useful
    depending on your target processor:

    http://buildroot.uclibc.org/

    This allows you to build cross-development version of the gcc tools, and
    a root file system based either on glibc or the smaller uclibc. It
    allows you to build the full gnu utilities or smaller busybox-based
    versions of them.

    Gregg

+ Reply to Thread