I Keep getting "EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, runninge2fsck is recommended" on my Compact Flash based FS - Embedded

This is a discussion on I Keep getting "EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, runninge2fsck is recommended" on my Compact Flash based FS - Embedded ; Hi all, I'm working on a ppc based embedded system, and am using a compact flash based filesystem. When I created the filesystem I ran: tune2fs -c 1 My /etc/fstab looks like this: # rootfs / rootfs rw 0 1 ...

  1. I Keep getting "EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, runninge2fsck is recommended" on my Compact Flash based FS

    Hi all,

    I'm working on a ppc based embedded system, and am using a compact
    flash based filesystem.
    When I created the filesystem I ran: tune2fs -c 1
    My /etc/fstab looks like this:
    #
    rootfs / rootfs rw 0 1
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
    tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0

    But for some reason I keep getting: "EXT2-fs warning: mounting
    unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended"
    and my filesystem doesn't auto-run the fsck (e2fsck) utiliy - WHY?
    WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

    Thanks in advance,
    Lenny.

  2. Re: I Keep getting "EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended" on my Compact Flash based FS

    lennyk430 wrote:
    > I'm working on a ppc based embedded system, and am using a compact
    > flash based filesystem.
    > When I created the filesystem I ran: tune2fs -c 1
    > My /etc/fstab looks like this:
    > #
    > rootfs / rootfs rw 0 1
    > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    > sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    > devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
    > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    >
    > But for some reason I keep getting: "EXT2-fs warning: mounting
    > unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended"
    > and my filesystem doesn't auto-run the fsck (e2fsck) utiliy

    How should the filesystem itself do that?

    jbe

  3. Re: I Keep getting "EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, runninge2fsck is recommended" on my Compact Flash based FS

    When you formatted the CF the mke2fs program it told you it would
    require a check after XX mounts. You reached (or exceeded ) that
    limit.

    You need to do a 'tune2fs -c 0' (I think) on the CF after you do a
    mke2fs, to turn off checking.

    On Aug 11, 8:18 am, lennyk430 wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm working on a ppc based embedded system, and am using a compact
    > flash based filesystem.
    > When I created the filesystem I ran: tune2fs -c 1
    > My /etc/fstab looks like this:
    > #
    > rootfs / rootfs rw 0 1
    > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    > sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    > devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
    > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    >
    > But for some reason I keep getting: "EXT2-fs warning: mounting
    > unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended"
    > and my filesystem doesn't auto-run the fsck (e2fsck) utiliy - WHY?
    > WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Lenny.

  4. Re: I Keep getting "EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, runninge2fsck is recommended" on my Compact Flash based FS

    On Aug 11, 4:34 pm, Juergen Beisert wrote:
    > lennyk430 wrote:
    > > I'm working on a ppc based embedded system, and am using a compact
    > > flash based filesystem.
    > > When I created the filesystem I ran: tune2fs -c 1
    > > My /etc/fstab looks like this:
    > > #
    > > rootfs / rootfs rw 0 1
    > > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    > > sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    > > devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
    > > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0

    > > But for some reason I keep getting: "EXT2-fs warning: mounting
    > > unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended"
    > > and my filesystem doesn't auto-run the fsck (e2fsck) utility

    > How should the filesystem itself do that?
    >
    > jbe

    OK, I guess I understand the problem...
    But, alas, how can I force the auto-check to run every XXX mounts?
    The warning is received before the root fs is mounted - so there must
    be a way:
    "EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 132k init"

    Thanks again,
    Itamar.

  5. Re: I Keep getting "EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, runninge2fsck is recommended" on my Compact Flash based FS

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 00:14:15 -0700, lennyk430 rearranged some electrons to
    say:

    > On Aug 11, 4:34 pm, Juergen Beisert wrote:
    >> lennyk430 wrote:
    >> > I'm working on a ppc based embedded system, and am using a compact
    >> > flash based filesystem.
    >> > When I created the filesystem I ran: tune2fs -c 1
    >> > My /etc/fstab looks like this:
    >> > #
    >> > rootfs / rootfs rw 0 1 proc
    >> > /proc proc defaults 0 0 sysfs
    >> > /sys sysfs defaults 0 0 devpts
    >> > /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0 tmpfs
    >> > /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0

    >> > But for some reason I keep getting: "EXT2-fs warning: mounting
    >> > unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended" and my filesystem
    >> > doesn't auto-run the fsck (e2fsck) utility

    >> How should the filesystem itself do that?
    >>
    >> jbe

    > OK, I guess I understand the problem... But, alas, how can I force the
    > auto-check to run every XXX mounts? The warning is received before the
    > root fs is mounted - so there must be a way:
    > "EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended
    > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
    > Freeing unused kernel memory: 132k init"
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > Itamar.

    shutdown -F is supposed to force fsck on the next reboot.

  6. Re: I Keep getting "EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended" on my Compact Flash based FS

    lennyk430 wrote:

    > On Aug 11, 4:34 pm, Juergen Beisert wrote:
    >> lennyk430 wrote:
    >> > I'm working on a ppc based embedded system, and am using a compact
    >> > flash based filesystem.
    >> > When I created the filesystem I ran: tune2fs -c 1
    >> > My /etc/fstab looks like this:
    >> > #
    >> > rootfs / rootfs rw 0 1
    >> > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    >> > sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    >> > devpts /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
    >> > tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0

    >> > But for some reason I keep getting: "EXT2-fs warning: mounting
    >> > unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended"
    >> > and my filesystem doesn't auto-run the fsck (e2fsck) utility

    >> How should the filesystem itself do that?
    >>
    >> jbe

    > OK, I guess I understand the problem...
    > But, alas, how can I force the auto-check to run every XXX mounts?

    Run always (every boot) e2fsck on this partition. If the filesystem is clean
    it returns immediately, if not it will check and repair it. After XXX
    mounts (using the tune2fs tool to setup this count) it forces a whole check
    automatically, even if the filesystem is was marked clean.
    Don't forget to mount the rootfilesystem as *read only* from kernel's side,
    to run e2fsck on it. After e2fsck has done its job, remount "/" with write
    permissions.

    > The warning is received before the root fs is mounted - so there must
    > be a way:

    Not "before", this warning occures while mounting.

    jbe

  7. Re: I Keep getting "EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, runninge2fsck is recommended" on my Compact Flash based FS

    first of all, the message comes from this entry on fstab,
    rootfs / rootfs rw 0 1
    your root is a rootfs and not an ext2/ext3 thats why fsck -a fails
    because it calls for fsck.rootfs instead of fsck.ext2 (fsck is a
    frontend
    for the 'fsck.fs' backends).
    secondly, shutdown -F normally creates an empty file /.autofsck
    and in most rcS scripts checks for the existence of this file before
    calling fsck -a.
    third, mount knows that the root is an ext2 so it complains about
    dirty filesystems from the fstab entry (some distro makes mount
    also calls fsck without repairing).
    fourth, i dont think using tune2fs to check every mount is
    appropriate,
    at least give it a larger range, say 1000 mounts. the last field on
    fstab
    ('1') already checks it for every mount. i don't know if its
    relevant, but
    isnt compact-flash has some limits on how many writes to an area?
    i mean e2fsck would write the last fsck stamp to it.

    well, hope this helps
    ys

+ Reply to Thread