kernel compile error and some questions - Embedded

This is a discussion on kernel compile error and some questions - Embedded ; Dear group, I'm a student doing an internship. My task is to port linux to a custom made powerpc(405)board. After reading a lot about embedded linux (also this group), i'm really trying to compile the kernel. As root i want ...

  1. kernel compile error and some questions

    Dear group,

    I'm a student doing an internship. My task is to port linux to a custom
    made powerpc(405)board. After reading a lot about embedded linux (also
    this group), i'm really trying to compile the kernel. As root i want to
    use the initramfs (the board has to be up in 4sec), the bootloader is
    already in place (u-boot)from the normal (selfmade)OS running the
    board. I builded a selfmade crossgcc and one from the buildroot project
    (how can i verify that they really work?).

    When compiling the kernel i have some questions:
    *Do i have to set the memory map in the .config file?
    (CONFIG_KERNEL_START...)?
    *And what does the board option do (walnut, oak, ...) can't seem to
    find any information what to do with a custom board.

    When compiling the kernel i get the following errors (using the
    buildroot gcc):
    LD init/built-in.o
    LD .tmp_vmlinux1
    drivers/built-in.o: In function `init_one_smi':
    ipmi_si_intf.c.text+0x26de0): undefined reference to
    `is_new_interface'
    ipmi_si_intf.c.text+0x26f10): undefined reference to
    `is_new_interface'
    drivers/built-in.o: In function `wbsd_release_resources':
    wbsd.c.text+0x5fef8): undefined reference to `free_dma'
    drivers/built-in.o: In function `wbsd_probe':
    wbsd.c.text+0x60480): undefined reference to `request_dma'
    wbsd.c.text+0x60508): undefined reference to `free_dma'
    make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Fout 1

    my command was:

    make vmlinux ARCH=ppc CROSS_COMPILE=powerpc-linux-

    (vmlinux because it is a very stripped version of u-boot that cannot
    load compressed kernels)
    Is this a fault in my coonfiguration or in my gcc?

    Thanks,
    Joachim Denil
    Student Karel de Grote Hogeschool Antwerpen - Belgium

  2. Re: kernel compile error and some questions

    When leaving out the MMC driver (the board does have an MMC card reader
    so i guess i'll have to fix that on the long run) and the IPMI driver
    (don't need it anyway) the compilation went smooth...

+ Reply to Thread