Unix low resources - Embedded

This is a discussion on Unix low resources - Embedded ; Hy! I'm looking for a Unix-like o.s. (as linux) for low resources PC X86 with the following features: 1. max 386 processor 2. max 4 MB of RAM (preferred 1 MB of RAM). 3. for real-time application 4. Ethernet support ...

  1. Unix low resources

    Hy! I'm looking for a Unix-like o.s. (as linux) for low resources PC
    X86 with the following features:

    1. max 386 processor
    2. max 4 MB of RAM (preferred 1 MB of RAM).
    3. for real-time application
    4. Ethernet support for TCP/IP, telnet and webserver
    5. freeware and open-source

    I found out ttylinux as QNX demo disk but I'd rather prefer smaller
    solution.
    Do u have further informations about it? Have u got some links?

    Thanks in advance for ur replies.

  2. Re: Unix low resources

  3. Re: Unix low resources

    >> 1. max 386 processor
    >> 2. max 4 MB of RAM (preferred 1 MB of RAM).
    >> 3. for real-time application
    >> 4. Ethernet support for TCP/IP, telnet and webserver
    >> 5. freeware and open-source

    1MB RAM won't be enough for run any linux.
    BTW you forgot to say Disk size.

    P.S. Please do not cross post

    Good luck

  4. Re: Unix low resources

    Helix wrote:

    [follow-up set to comp.os.linux.hardware]

    [snip]

    > P.S. Please do not cross post

    Why not? It is better than multi-posting. The OP's main
    problem was that s/he didn't set a follow-up.

  5. Re: Unix low resources

    I forgot to add a further constraints:
    The OS must boot from one or (max) two 1.44 floppies, as the LiveCD of
    Linux.

    Thanks for your replies and your suggestions

  6. Re: Unix low resources

    ffgg2005@tiscali.it wrote in comp.os.linux.hardware:

    > I forgot to add a further constraints:
    > The OS must boot from one or (max) two 1.44 floppies, as the LiveCD of
    > Linux.
    >
    > Thanks for your replies and your suggestions

    Google on "Linux on a floppy", with the quotes.

    --
    Peter D.
    Sig goes here...

  7. Re: Unix low resources

    >> 1. max 386 processor
    >> 2. max 4 MB of RAM (preferred 1 MB of RAM).
    >> 3. for real-time application
    >> 4. Ethernet support for TCP/IP, telnet and webserver
    >> 5. freeware and open-source

    > Google on "Linux on a floppy", with the quotes.

    LOAF requires a 386SX CPU (minimum), 4-8 megabytes of DRAM, and a floppy
    drive
    so does not suits him.

+ Reply to Thread