embedded linux for starters - Embedded

This is a discussion on embedded linux for starters - Embedded ; hi i'm new to linux embedded what OS you suggest to install on my pc what about RTOS-32 thanks...

  1. embedded linux for starters

    hi
    i'm new to linux embedded
    what OS you suggest to install on my pc
    what about RTOS-32
    thanks

  2. Re: embedded linux for starters

    lior wrote:

    > hi
    > i'm new to linux embedded
    > what OS you suggest to install on my pc

    you are posting in a linux group, aren't you?

    > what about RTOS-32

    We are using a standard linux kernel with ulibC and busybox on top. Works
    just fine here.

    --
    weeks of software enineering safe hours of planing

  3. Re: embedded linux for starters

    On Jul 11, 4:26*am, lior wrote:
    > hi
    > i'm new to linux embedded
    > what OS you suggest to install on my pc
    > what about *RTOS-32
    > thanks

    If I understood your question correctly, it should have said "I am new
    to embedded linux development and wanted to know what guest distro and
    toolset should I use to get started ?"
    If that is right you need to give us more info on the following. If
    thats wrong, then you need to write complete sentences and provid more
    info.
    - What embedded linux platform are you interested in (PPC, PowerPC,
    ARM ....etc)
    - Do you already have the hardware or you want info on this too (or
    are you just interested in testing it out on a simulator/emulator)
    - Do you want to pay for your tools or you want Open source once
    - Are you interested in user space development for embedded systems or
    kernel development or just configuration of existing embedded linux
    environments

    Cheers

  4. Re: embedded linux for starters

    > what OS you suggest to install on my pc

    Do you mean your development PC or do you want to use a PC as a target
    device ?

    > what about RTOS-32

    I don't know RTOS-32. But "RTOS" sounds like "realtime".

    As Linux does not support hard realtime out of the box you needs to
    consider what you do if hard realtime is what you need.

    - use a dedicated realtime OS
    - use realtime extensions for Linux
    - use a second processor for the realtime stuff
    - use some virualization system to run Linux and a realtime OS
    together on a single processor
    - use an FPGA to do the hard realtime stuff in hardware and add a
    Linux-enabled processor chip
    - use an FPGA to do the hard realtime stuff in hardware and integrate
    a Linux-enabled processor core in the FPGA design.

    -Michael

  5. Re: embedded linux for starters

    On Jul 11, 4:51 am, Janaka wrote:
    > On Jul 11, 4:26 am, lior wrote:
    >
    > > hi
    > > i'm new to linux embedded
    > > what OS you suggest to install on my pc
    > > what about RTOS-32
    > > thanks

    > If I understood your question correctly, it should have said "I am new
    > to embedded linux development and wanted to know what guest distro and
    > toolset should I use to get started ?"
    > If that is right you need to give us more info on the following. If
    > thats wrong, then you need to write complete sentences and provid more
    > info.
    > - What embedded linux platform are you interested in (PPC, PowerPC,
    > ARM ....etc)
    > - Do you already have the hardware or you want info on this too (or
    > are you just interested in testing it out on a simulator/emulator)
    > - Do you want to pay for your tools or you want Open source once
    > - Are you interested in user space development for embedded systems or
    > kernel development or just configuration of existing embedded linux
    > environments
    >
    > Cheers

    HI,

    I Wanted to use ARM Embedded Linux platform.
    >can you give me some information on which hardware helps me, If you know any simulators are Emulators can you give me details.

    Iam Intersted in Kernel space Development. right from Boot - loader.
    will you give me some Links are books regarding this.

    Thanks & with Regards,
    R-

  6. Re: embedded linux for starters

    On Jul 18, 1:46 am, "srbli...@gmail.com" wrote:

    > Iam Intersted in Kernel space Development. right from Boot - loader.
    > will you give me some Links are books regarding this.

    What do you want to do in kernel space that can't be done in user
    space?

    Often it's useful to think about partitioning your task into a user
    mode program that does most of the work, and a kernel module that does
    what has to be done there.

    As for how to get started - personally I think nothing beats the hands
    on experience of finding a kernel module that does something remotely
    similar to what you want, making a copy of it, and hacking at it until
    it does what you need.

    Then you probably should re-write it from scratch with a more
    carefully thought out design...

+ Reply to Thread