RTOS recommendation - Embedded

This is a discussion on RTOS recommendation - Embedded ; Hi all, I am currently out of a job and am looking to get into embedded device programming. I have been looking at some Real Time Operating System(s) and am at a loss as to which one I should use ...

  1. RTOS recommendation

    Hi all,

    I am currently out of a job and am looking to get into embedded device
    programming. I have been looking at some Real Time Operating System(s)
    and am at a loss as to which one I should use in the beginning.

    There are a lot of embedded linux RTOS that are quite cheap and I am
    inclined to go with one of them. I was wondering if people could make
    some recommendations. Basically, I would want to get hands-on with
    something that is being used in the industry and will not get outdated
    in the next year. Of course it is has slick developer tools available,
    that would be a great plus!

    I was pretty impressed with TimeSys (www.timesys.com). However, I would
    like to know the view of the folks here.

    Also, what development boards should the begineer look at. Are there
    any begineer projects that you would recommend?

    Thanks.

    -K

  2. Re: RTOS recommendation

    On 2005-07-12, xargon wrote:

    > I am currently out of a job and am looking to get into
    > embedded device programming. I have been looking at some Real
    > Time Operating System(s) and am at a loss as to which one I
    > should use in the beginning.

    In the beginning, you shouldn't use one at all. Write some
    simple embedded embedded applications without an RTOS: Blink
    some LEDs, send "hello" out a UART.

    Once you understand how to do stuff like that, then start with
    a simple RTOS like uC/OS. There's a very good book that
    describes the internals and which includes a CD. Or there are
    versions you can download.

    Slightly more complex is eCos (also a free download).

    > There are a lot of embedded linux RTOS that are quite cheap
    > and I am inclined to go with one of them.

    Embedded Linux is pretty complex. If you haven't done embedded
    stuff before, I'd start with something simpler.

    > I was wondering if people could make some recommendations.
    > Basically, I would want to get hands-on with something that is
    > being used in the industry and will not get outdated in the
    > next year. Of course it is has slick developer tools
    > available, that would be a great plus!

    Not really. Slick tools hide many of the things you need to
    learn.

    > I was pretty impressed with TimeSys (www.timesys.com).
    > However, I would like to know the view of the folks here.
    >
    > Also, what development boards should the begineer look at. Are
    > there any begineer projects that you would recommend?

    I'd start with something like an HC11 eval board or an H8/300
    eval board. They usually come with "starter" versions of
    tools, though I prefer to use Gnu stuff.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! ... Blame it on the
    at BOSSA NOVA!!!

  3. Re: RTOS recommendation

    "Grant Edwards" schreef in bericht
    > On 2005-07-12, xargon wrote:
    >
    >> I am currently out of a job and am looking to get into
    >> embedded device programming. I have been looking at some Real
    >> Time Operating System(s) and am at a loss as to which one I
    >> should use in the beginning.

    > In the beginning, you shouldn't use one at all. Write some
    > simple embedded embedded applications without an RTOS: Blink
    > some LEDs, send "hello" out a UART.
    >
    > Once you understand how to do stuff like that, then start with
    > a simple RTOS like uC/OS. There's a very good book that
    > describes the internals and which includes a CD. Or there are
    > versions you can download.

    Or start with an even simpler (but still powerful) RTOS like Sciopta. It has
    a hassle-free message-based architecture that keeps you well away from the
    pain of mail boxes and application-programmer-managed message queues.

  4. Re: RTOS recommendation

    Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

+ Reply to Thread