Company for GUI development ? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Company for GUI development ? - Embedded ; Hi, i am looking for a company with experience in custom GUI development for Linux. The GUI we strive for uses overlays with graphic symbols (not rectangular grey) on a live video. Either on blank framebuffer or some toolkit. Any ...

  1. Company for GUI development ?

    Hi,

    i am looking for a company with experience in custom GUI development
    for Linux. The GUI we strive for uses overlays with graphic symbols
    (not rectangular grey) on a live video. Either on blank framebuffer or
    some toolkit.

    Any suggestions ?

    Thanks in advance,

    josimda

  2. Re: Company for GUI development ?

    On 12 Jul 2005 00:40:25 -0700, "josimda" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >i am looking for a company with experience in custom GUI development
    >for Linux. The GUI we strive for uses overlays with graphic symbols
    >(not rectangular grey) on a live video. Either on blank framebuffer or
    >some toolkit.
    >
    >Any suggestions ?

    We have used OpenGL for this type of application. If one wants to go
    all the way, one can end up having the type of graphics animation used
    in modern games. So far we have only used the 2D subset, which
    provides all one needs for this sort of thing. We got the basics going
    in less than a week using some of the books recommended on the OpenGL
    web site.

    Regards
    Anton Erasmus

  3. Re: Company for GUI development ?

    Thanks for the hint. I've made that in a similar way for a former
    project. Unfortunately with DirectDraw for Windows XP.
    Now we will have a PXA270 board, No X Server, just /dev/fb0, display
    320x240, Debian based. I don't know much about OpenGL. Will it run on
    such configuration ? We also have to use some standard widgets,
    comboboxes and listboxes. It should be also possible to use asian
    fonts. Is it advisable to use GLUT or OpenGL for doing that ?

    Regards,

    Simon

  4. Re: Company for GUI development ?

    On 14 Jul 2005 04:54:24 -0700, "josimda" wrote:

    >Thanks for the hint. I've made that in a similar way for a former
    >project. Unfortunately with DirectDraw for Windows XP.
    >Now we will have a PXA270 board, No X Server, just /dev/fb0, display
    >320x240, Debian based. I don't know much about OpenGL. Will it run on
    >such configuration ? We also have to use some standard widgets,
    >comboboxes and listboxes. It should be also possible to use asian
    >fonts. Is it advisable to use GLUT or OpenGL for doing that ?

    I think you'll need a basic X Server. You do not need a desktop or
    window manager for OpenGL. I think one can use a basic frame-buffer
    as the display for an X-Server.
    To find out exactly what dependancies OpenGL has, it is probably best
    to ask on an OpenGL forum. With the development of 3D graphics
    chipsets for the mobile phone market, it is quite probable that one
    should be able to use OpenGL on the setup you have.

    Regards
    Anton Erasmus

+ Reply to Thread