Executing linux directly from flash - Embedded

This is a discussion on Executing linux directly from flash - Embedded ; Hi folks, I'm targeting uClinux for an evaluation board with 1Mb SRAM and 8MB flash. Since 1MB is not enough to run uClinux from I am looking at executing the kernel directly from Flash. Can this be done? If so, ...

  1. Executing linux directly from flash

    Hi folks,

    I'm targeting uClinux for an evaluation board with 1Mb SRAM and 8MB
    flash. Since 1MB is not enough to run uClinux from I am looking at
    executing the kernel directly from Flash.

    Can this be done? If so, are there any specific tricks to accomplish
    this? Better still a 'HOWTO'?

    I've tried to accomplish this using a simple bootloader which
    essentially does the following..

    kernel_start = (void_fn)FLASH_START_ADDRESS;
    kernel_start();

    Any help or direction appreciated,

    Thanks,
    Vincent

  2. Re: Executing linux directly from flash

    vincent.carr@avocent.com wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I'm targeting uClinux for an evaluation board with 1Mb SRAM and 8MB
    > flash. Since 1MB is not enough to run uClinux from I am looking at
    > executing the kernel directly from Flash.
    >
    > Can this be done? If so, are there any specific tricks to accomplish
    > this? Better still a 'HOWTO'?

    Hmm, probably not relevant to your case, since I doubt your motherboard
    has USB port and can boot off it. But, I'm booting off USB key for my
    thin-client.

    --
    William Park , Toronto, Canada
    BashDiff: Super Bash shell