XScale compiler - Embedded

This is a discussion on XScale compiler - Embedded ; I would like to create a native compiler for an XScale Linux system. My first attempt was to cross-compile the gcc suite using the x86-xscale cross compiler that I already have, but I am having trouble getting the configure parameters/options ...

  1. XScale compiler

    I would like to create a native compiler for an XScale Linux system.

    My first attempt was to cross-compile the gcc suite using the
    x86-xscale cross compiler that I already have, but I am having trouble
    getting the configure parameters/options right.

    First, what is the difference between --host, --build and --target?

    Must --with-cpu be set to something? to what?

    Is there an xscale tools how-to for setting the options, or an .rpm to
    download?

    Thanks in advance.

    K.

  2. Re: XScale compiler

    Kevin,

    --host is the system you are building this on (for eg: i686-linux)
    --build is the cross compilation build (for eg: mips-linux. In your case
    xscale)
    --target is the target for which it is being built (for eg: mips-linux.
    In your case xscale).

    Not sure if there are tools/rpms for xscale. But you should be able to
    build it yourself...

    /V

    Kevin Kilzer wrote:
    > I would like to create a native compiler for an XScale Linux system.
    >
    > My first attempt was to cross-compile the gcc suite using the
    > x86-xscale cross compiler that I already have, but I am having trouble
    > getting the configure parameters/options right.
    >
    > First, what is the difference between --host, --build and --target?
    >
    > Must --with-cpu be set to something? to what?
    >
    > Is there an xscale tools how-to for setting the options, or an .rpm to
    > download?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > K.

  3. Re: XScale compiler

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 16:19:59 -0700, vividh siddha
    wrote:

    >--host is the system you are building this on (for eg: i686-linux)
    >--build is the cross compilation build (for eg: mips-linux. In your case
    > xscale)
    >--target is the target for which it is being built (for eg: mips-linux.
    >In your case xscale).
    >
    >Not sure if there are tools/rpms for xscale. But you should be able to
    >build it yourself...

    That is a fascinating topic. It seems that gcc is constructed using
    Autoconf 2.13, and will not cross-build. The configure script
    (nothing short of 100k lines of auto-generated shell!) tries to run a
    test compilation, realizes that it is cross compiling, and bails out.

    According to
    http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf...oconf_164.html,
    this has been corrected in later versions, but gcc is still
    distributed on 2.13.

    It seems like such a trivial question, that if I can build a cross
    compiler, why can I not cross-build the same source to make a native
    compiler?

    BTW, does anyone have a list of what is valid for those "mips-linux"
    or "xscale-elf" or "dogcat-tuesday" strings? The variability is
    really confusing: "mips-linux" "mips-unknown-linux"
    "mips-unknown-linux-gnu" all seem to have valid meaning in different
    contexts. A little Backus-Naur would go a long way here.

    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread