Where to start? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Where to start? - Embedded ; Hi, I'm so interested in Operating Systems and Embedded Systems. I have basic knowledge about both of them. But I want to go deeper. I asked before same questions. But the answer was not enough. Let's start from beginning. I ...

  1. Where to start?

    Hi,

    I'm so interested in Operating Systems and Embedded Systems. I have
    basic knowledge about both of them. But I want to go deeper. I asked
    before same questions. But the answer was not enough. Let's start from
    beginning.

    I have made some experiment on Microchip's PIC like light LEDs. Which
    Microcontroller is the most used or which is good to start? My
    target(or dream) is to port linux to my embedded device. (I know it is
    difficult for me to make this now. But I said it is a dream )

    I have planned to work on this in all summer. So there is so much free
    time to search, read books & documents. Can you advice some books and
    web sites?

    Thanks...

  2. Re: Where to start?

    Tolga Onbay wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm so interested in Operating Systems and Embedded Systems. I have
    > basic knowledge about both of them. But I want to go deeper. I asked
    > before same questions. But the answer was not enough. Let's start from
    > beginning.
    >
    > I have made some experiment on Microchip's PIC like light LEDs. Which
    > Microcontroller is the most used or which is good to start? My
    > target(or dream) is to port linux to my embedded device. (I know it is
    > difficult for me to make this now. But I said it is a dream )
    >
    > I have planned to work on this in all summer. So there is so much free
    > time to search, read books & documents. Can you advice some books and
    > web sites?
    >

    > Thanks...

    There are many to choose from. I would suggest www.embeddedarm.com and
    their little product (the TS-7200). Unless you have to ship it overseas
    and then I don't know what to tell you.
    There are several linux hacks out there using off the shelf equipment
    from Linksys and such like the NSLU2. A lot of work has been done with
    it. I think there is a lot done with the linksys WRT54G as well.

    You can't put Linux on a PIC, but you can make a lot of very usefull
    interfaces using a linux target and a PIC front end. The pic handling
    the fast events and spoonfeeding them to the linux machine in "near"
    real time.

    Embedding linux is a matter of getting it to run on a certain smallish
    target with minimal resources (not a lot of memory). Another operating
    system platform to try this with would be NetBSD.

    There are some toys and topics.
    T.

+ Reply to Thread