Embedded Platform - Embedded

This is a discussion on Embedded Platform - Embedded ; Hi! I read, somewhere here, that a normal x86 board can be used for initial learning purpose. But how, was not specified. Can anyone point to links? I am totally new to embedded world. thanks and regards --Himanshu...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Embedded Platform

  1. Embedded Platform

    Hi!

    I read, somewhere here, that a normal x86 board can be used for initial
    learning purpose. But how, was not specified. Can anyone point to
    links? I am totally new to embedded world.

    thanks and regards
    --Himanshu


  2. Re: Embedded Platform


    I just worked with a product called PICOBSD. It is an embedded small Linux,
    that boots on X86 hardware. The app I was looking at was "DUMMYNET", made
    by an Italian profession, Luigi Rizzo. This BSD based system boots from a
    floppy, is fully configurable, and can be a basis for a first embedded
    project. You don't even have to format the drive....It will boot from the
    floppy.

    Give it a try...then invest in your expensive hardware.


    wrote in message
    news:1118892225.560788.241570@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi!
    >
    > I read, somewhere here, that a normal x86 board can be used for initial
    > learning purpose. But how, was not specified. Can anyone point to
    > links? I am totally new to embedded world.
    >
    > thanks and regards
    > --Himanshu
    >
    >





  3. Re: Embedded Platform

    Take a look at
    www.klinux.org

    -- Shutruk



  4. Re: Embedded Platform

    On 2005-06-16, TECH_NEWS wrote:

    > I just worked with a product called PICOBSD. It is an
    > embedded small Linux, that boots on X86 hardware. The app I
    > was looking at was "DUMMYNET", made by an Italian profession,
    > Luigi Rizzo. This BSD based system boots from a floppy, is
    > fully configurable, and can be a basis for a first embedded
    > project. You don't even have to format the drive....It will
    > boot from the floppy.


    Huh? A _BSD_ based _Linux_ system?

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! ANN JILLIAN'S HAIR
    at makes LONI ANDERSON'S
    visi.com HAIR look like RICARDO
    MONTALBAN'S HAIR!

  5. Re: Embedded Platform

    I didn't find anything there. Are you talking about to download the
    linux source.
    Actually I was asking for cheap hardware platform.

    Thanks and regards
    --Himanshu


  6. Re: Embedded Platform



    Himanshu wrote:
    > I didn't find anything there. Are you talking about to download the
    > linux source.
    > Actually I was asking for cheap hardware platform.


    I guess this is similar to your classmate's question "Changing PC to
    Hardware Reference Design (PPC/ARM,etc)". The purpose of a reference
    design is to learn and get familiar with a chip's architecture. If you
    are tied to the x86 (pc), you are leaning nothing more than x86.

    Of course, you can put an ARM core in FPGA/ASIC for x86 compatible I/O
    and plug in an x86 MB, but what's the point of doing so?

    >
    > Thanks and regards
    > --Himanshu



  7. Re: Embedded Platform

    Oh! great! thanks for the information!
    But the thing is x86 is something that is ubiquitous. I don't know
    about my
    __classmate__ because I don't think he is in India. I have order a
    simputer for my purposes which already runs linux 2.4.18 series kernel
    and X window system. Its ARM based device designed by scientists at
    IISc Banglore. You can visit www.simputer.org for more information.

    Thanks and Regards
    --Himanshu


  8. Re: Embedded Platform



    Himanshu wrote:
    > Oh! great! thanks for the information!
    > But the thing is x86 is something that is ubiquitous. I don't know
    > about my
    > __classmate__ because I don't think he is in India.


    Just kidding, since there are so many similar questions here.

    > I have order a
    > simputer for my purposes which already runs linux 2.4.18 series kernel
    > and X window system. Its ARM based device designed by scientists at
    > IISc Banglore. You can visit www.simputer.org for more information.


    This is based on the xscale pxa27x with 32M embedded SDRAM. I don't
    think you can do much with 32M on X. There are some others with 64M.
    But we really want 128M or 256M SDRAM on a board we are working on.

    >
    > Thanks and Regards
    > --Himanshu



  9. Re: Embedded Platform

    I agree resources might be low, but its something that you can get for
    peanuts here. Moreover, its possibly the best way to get started. Even
    if you can do much with X, I agree, but there is alots of space to
    tinker with kernel. Which I am mainly into. So do you think even for
    that purposes its too low on resources? I dont think :-)

    regards
    --Himanshu


  10. Re: Embedded Platform



    Himanshu wrote:
    > I agree resources might be low, but its something that you can get for
    > peanuts here. Moreover, its possibly the best way to get started. Even
    > if you can do much with X, I agree, but there is alots of space to
    > tinker with kernel. Which I am mainly into. So do you think even for
    > that purposes its too low on resources? I dont think :-)
    >


    If you don't need X, that would be fine. We checked into using one of
    those in a project, but the memory spaces are too limited. We also
    looked into the gumstik (with expansion bus capabilities), but the
    processor is older (pxa255 vs. pxa27x). We are still waiting for the
    next version of gumstik (pxa27x with USB host) or our own board,
    whichever come first. Basically, we need USB host (or OTG) with at
    least 128M.

    > regards
    > --Himanshu



  11. Re: Embedded Platform

    You mean you tried a simputer in a project or are you talking about the
    uc used? The uc they are using have been discontinued by intel. But
    still it would
    prove to be a good jump start.

    Regards
    --Himanshu


  12. Re: Embedded Platform



    Himanshu wrote:
    > You mean you tried a simputer in a project or are you talking about the
    > uc used? The uc they are using have been discontinued by intel. But
    > still it would
    > prove to be a good jump start.


    We are trying to use the Xscale pxa270, bare chip or in modules. But
    most of the modules we checked are limited in memory and require
    building a board anyone. So, we are close to building a 3.5"x3.5"
    module with SDRAM and CF. Now, we need to figure out how to port linux
    on it. Our idea is to Jtag a 2K boot loader on the CF in memory mapped
    mode and the rest in IDE mode. The board will have 128M minimum and
    USB host controller (for external devices).

    We can provide hardware and incentive for people who want to contribute
    on the

    1. Boot loader itself (ARM assembler)
    2. Jtag loader (loading the above from a PC)
    etc.

    The rest should be just standard ARM linux.

    >
    > Regards
    > --Himanshu



  13. Re: Embedded Platform

    So, you are going for your own PCB connections instead of modules or
    evaluation boards right?

    I would love to contribute if you find its alright. But then more
    information is needed. Whats to be done for that? I would love to work
    on boot loader.

    Thanks and regards
    --Himanshu


  14. Re: Embedded Platform



    Himanshu wrote:
    > So, you are going for your own PCB connections instead of modules or
    > evaluation boards right?


    Yes, we are almost done with a 6 layers board (8 mils) (still need to
    redo some paths for trace clearances). The chip is a 22x22x4
    (LengthxWidthxRows) big Plastic Ball Grid Array. Unfortunately, it
    does not have options for FLASH or SDRAM, unlike the micro BGA version.
    Most other designs use the micro BGA with embedded FLASH/SDRAM, but
    the board will be very fine (4 mils) and expensive.

    We are going to boot from CF. In linear mode, CF allows 2K bytes of
    directly addressable boot code. The Xscale has jtag (namely, we can
    take over most I/O pins), so we can download into the CF. The boot
    loader needs to enable the SDRAM controller and load the kernel on it.

    >
    > I would love to contribute if you find its alright. But then more
    > information is needed. Whats to be done for that? I would love to work
    > on boot loader.


    We can send you a board http://pcb.info-for.us/xscale when it's ready.
    Just look into jtag techniques for now.

    By the way, the connectors on the top are: 10 pins Jtag/I2C, 22 pins
    LCD, 10 pins USB host/client. SDRAM expansion on the left, CF
    expansion on the right.
    IDE (40 pins) and SFIDE (44 pins) on the bottom.


    >
    > Thanks and regards
    > --Himanshu



  15. Re: Embedded Platform

    Hi!!

    But that link doesn't seem to work!!

    regards
    --Himanshu


  16. Re: Embedded Platform



    Himanshu wrote:
    > Hi!!
    >
    > But that link doesn't seem to work!!
    >
    > regards
    > --Himanshu


    Sorry, you can try http://xscale.linnix.com


  17. Re: Embedded Platform

    Ok! it works fine. When is the board supposed to be ready?

    Regards
    --Himanshu


  18. Re: Embedded Platform



    Himanshu wrote:
    > Ok! it works fine. When is the board supposed to be ready?
    >


    Good question, that what we've been asking the factory as well. We
    designed the micro-via/pad (through each Ball) with 0.3mm/0.5mm, but
    they are re-designing it with 0.5mm/0.7mm. We don't want them to push
    for their process limit any way.

    But we can go ahead with the software and tools. We plan to program it
    through a PC parallel port, so we need a 5V (PC) to 3.3V (Xscale) level
    shifting cable.

    > Regards
    > --Himanshu



+ Reply to Thread