Can I change regular PC like reference design(like PowerPC/ARM/MIPS)? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Can I change regular PC like reference design(like PowerPC/ARM/MIPS)? - Embedded ; I wanted to change an old PC (Intel/AMD) into like reference design (like PowerPC, ARM or MIPS) and I would like to load embedded Linux onto that. Do I have to make any changes for that?. do I need to ...

  1. Can I change regular PC like reference design(like PowerPC/ARM/MIPS)?

    I wanted to change an old PC (Intel/AMD) into like reference design
    (like PowerPC, ARM or MIPS) and I would like to load embedded Linux
    onto that. Do I have to make any changes for that?. do I need to change
    the Bootloader (U boot loader), please suggest me which is the best
    way, I couldn't affort to buy PowerPc based reference design.

    Is there anywhere can I get a reference design for very cheap. I am
    very interested in loading Linux on to that, appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Can I change regular PC like reference design(like PowerPC/ARM/MIPS)?

    santa19992000@yahoo.com wrote:
    > I wanted to change an old PC (Intel/AMD) into like reference design
    > (like PowerPC, ARM or MIPS) and I would like to load embedded Linux

    Oh yes, we are going to make an ARM CPU to fit on the old socket 6
    motherboard.

    > onto that. Do I have to make any changes for that?. do I need to change

    No change necessary. You would not be able to tell the difference.

    > the Bootloader (U boot loader), please suggest me which is the best
    > way, I couldn't affort to buy PowerPc based reference design.

    Get everything from us.

    > Is there anywhere can I get a reference design for very cheap. I am
    > very interested in loading Linux on to that, appreciated.

    Just pay us.

    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Can I change regular PC like reference design(like PowerPC/ARM/MIPS)?

    On 2005-06-16, santa19992000@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I wanted to change an old PC (Intel/AMD) into like reference design
    > (like PowerPC, ARM or MIPS)

    Which reference design?

    > and I would like to load embedded Linux onto that. Do I have
    > to make any changes for that?

    Changes in what? The PC case? That depends on the board you
    choose.

    > do I need to change the Bootloader (U boot loader),

    Not if you've got a bootloader already ported to the reference
    design you've chosen. If you don't have a bootloader port for
    your platform, then you're going to have to port (change) the
    bootloader.

    > please suggest me which is the best way, I couldn't affort to
    > buy PowerPc based reference design.

    Well, you can load embedded Linux onto an IA32 motherboard.
    That's certainly cheap. You can get low-spec PCs (P100 class)
    for free -- at least here in the US.

    > Is there anywhere can I get a reference design for very cheap.
    > I am very interested in loading Linux on to that, appreciated.

    If all you want is something to run Linux on, then you're not
    going to find anything cheaper than an old Wintel PC pulled out
    of a dumpster. I admit that the IA32 architecture sucks and
    that Wintel Mobo chipsets are a horrible, nightmarish, PITA
    compared to something intended for embedded use, but the
    hardware is dirt cheap and all the low-level software has been
    ported, so most of the awful IA32/Wintel aberrations are hidden
    from view.

    If you want to play with a cheap platform for uCLinux on an
    ARM7, then a Linksys hub is pretty cheap (about 40 USD last
    time I checked). Some of the other hubs (Netgear) are also
    running uCLinux and are even cheaper.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! WHY are we missing
    at KOJAK?

+ Reply to Thread