linux driver - insmod does nothing, init_module never called. - Embedded

This is a discussion on linux driver - insmod does nothing, init_module never called. - Embedded ; I'm working on getting a CANBus driver installed on my box, and am having a lot of difficulty getting it to load correctly. I have finally traced down the problem to the fact that when I call # insmod can ...

  1. linux driver - insmod does nothing, init_module never called.

    I'm working on getting a CANBus driver installed on my box, and am
    having a lot of difficulty getting it to load correctly. I have
    finally traced down the problem to the fact that when I call

    # insmod can

    and get

    Using /lib/modules/2.4.26-vrs1-pxa1-arcom3-1-viper/misc/can.o

    nothing else happens. lsmod shows that the driver has "installed" but
    even when I dumb down the init_module and cleanup_module calls to just
    call printk to give me signs of life I see nothing.

    Does anyone have suggestions as to how I could go about tracking down
    why init_module isn't being called on the load of that module and how I
    could fix that problem?

    Thanks,
    Miah Wander

  2. Re: linux driver - insmod does nothing, init_module never called.

    jdwander@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm working on getting a CANBus driver installed on my box, and am
    > having a lot of difficulty getting it to load correctly. I have
    > finally traced down the problem to the fact that when I call
    >
    > # insmod can
    >
    > and get
    >
    > Using /lib/modules/2.4.26-vrs1-pxa1-arcom3-1-viper/misc/can.o
    >
    > nothing else happens. lsmod shows that the driver has "installed" but
    > even when I dumb down the init_module and cleanup_module calls to just
    > call printk to give me signs of life I see nothing.
    >
    > Does anyone have suggestions as to how I could go about tracking down
    > why init_module isn't being called on the load of that module and how I
    > could fix that problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Miah Wander

    does the message display to another dest?

    try dmesg, maybe you can see some message of your printk.

  3. Re: linux driver - insmod does nothing, init_module never called.

    Excellent, that shows me the driver has installed correctly. I
    appreciate your help.

+ Reply to Thread