text-based frontend to GDB for Linux - Embedded

This is a discussion on text-based frontend to GDB for Linux - Embedded ; Hello, All! I'm looking for a good frontend to GDB for Linux environment. All i could find are focused on graphical environment, but I'd prefer text-based version. Could you recommend me some? Thanks in advance! With best regards, Roman Mashak. ...

  1. text-based frontend to GDB for Linux

    Hello, All!

    I'm looking for a good frontend to GDB for Linux environment. All i
    could find are focused on graphical environment, but I'd prefer text-based
    version. Could you recommend me some?

    Thanks in advance!

    With best regards, Roman Mashak. E-mail: mrv@tusur.ru

  2. Re: text-based frontend to GDB for Linux

    Roman Mashak wrote:
    > Hello, All!
    >
    > I'm looking for a good frontend to GDB for Linux environment. All i
    > could find are focused on graphical environment, but I'd prefer text-based
    > version. Could you recommend me some?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > With best regards, Roman Mashak. E-mail: mrv@tusur.ru

    try gdb -v and you'll see that gdb has a text based interface.

  3. Re: text-based frontend to GDB for Linux

    Roman Mashak wrote:
    > Hello, All!
    >
    > I'm looking for a good frontend to GDB for Linux environment. All i
    > could find are focused on graphical environment, but I'd prefer text-based
    > version. Could you recommend me some?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > With best regards, Roman Mashak. E-mail: mrv@tusur.ru

    I am not sure what you mean.
    I am using redhat-linux. and the gdb command is text mode.

    Best Regards,

  4. Re: text-based frontend to GDB for Linux

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:41:08 +0800, wuulong
    wrote:

    >Roman Mashak wrote:
    >> Hello, All!
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a good frontend to GDB for Linux environment. All i
    >> could find are focused on graphical environment, but I'd prefer text-based
    >> version. Could you recommend me some?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!
    >>
    >> With best regards, Roman Mashak. E-mail: mrv@tusur.ru
    >>

    >I am not sure what you mean.
    >I am using redhat-linux. and the gdb command is text mode.

    I think the OP means a more user friendly text mode front end. One
    which shows the current source in a text window, and provides hot keys
    for common commands like step etc. Something like the Turbo C debugger
    interface on Turbo C 3.

    Regards
    Anton Erasmus

  5. Re: text-based frontend to GDB for Linux

    Hello, Anton!
    You wrote on Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:36:18 +0200:

    ??>> I am not sure what you mean.
    ??>> I am using redhat-linux. and the gdb command is text mode.
    ??>>
    AE> I think the OP means a more user friendly text mode front end. One
    AE> which shows the current source in a text window, and provides hot keys
    AE> for common commands like step etc. Something like the Turbo C debugger
    AE> interface on Turbo C 3.
    Exactly. And I found some, thanks to this group

    With best regards, Roman Mashak. E-mail: mrv@tusur.ru

  6. Re: text-based frontend to GDB for Linux

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:14:39 +0900, "Roman Mashak"
    wrote:

    >Hello, Anton!
    >You wrote on Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:36:18 +0200:
    >
    > ??>> I am not sure what you mean.
    > ??>> I am using redhat-linux. and the gdb command is text mode.
    > ??>>
    > AE> I think the OP means a more user friendly text mode front end. One
    > AE> which shows the current source in a text window, and provides hot keys
    > AE> for common commands like step etc. Something like the Turbo C debugger
    > AE> interface on Turbo C 3.
    >Exactly. And I found some, thanks to this group

    Can you post the stuff that you found. I also would like a slightly
    more friendly user interface for gdb without using X.

    Regards
    Anton Erasmus

  7. Re: text-based frontend to GDB for Linux

    Hello, Anton!
    You wrote on Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:18:53 +0200:

    AE>>> keys for common commands like step etc. Something like the Turbo C
    AE>>> debugger interface on Turbo C 3.
    ??>> Exactly. And I found some, thanks to this group

    AE> Can you post the stuff that you found. I also would like a slightly
    AE> more friendly user interface for gdb without using X.
    1) as on of posters here noted: "gdb -tui" will provide some interface (as
    for me I found this option in gdb-6.3.50)
    2) and I found 'cgdb' (http://cgdb.sourceforge.net/) be pretty comfortable
    and well-orginized package (IMHO )

    With best regards, Roman Mashak. E-mail: mrv@tusur.ru

  8. Re: text-based frontend to GDB for Linux

    Anton Erasmus writes:

    > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:41:08 +0800, wuulong
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Roman Mashak wrote:
    > >> Hello, All!
    > >>
    > >> I'm looking for a good frontend to GDB for Linux environment. All i
    > >> could find are focused on graphical environment, but I'd prefer text-based
    > >> version. Could you recommend me some?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance!
    > >>
    > >> With best regards, Roman Mashak. E-mail: mrv@tusur.ru
    > >>

    > >I am not sure what you mean.
    > >I am using redhat-linux. and the gdb command is text mode.
    > >

    > I think the OP means a more user friendly text mode front end. One
    > which shows the current source in a text window, and provides hot keys
    > for common commands like step etc. Something like the Turbo C debugger
    > interface on Turbo C 3.

    Emacs provides a much better interface to gdb that saves a lot of
    typing and confusion. Executing the Emacs command M-x gdb starts up a
    new window running gdb. If you set a breakpoint on the main function
    and then run the program with the correct arguments, gdb will split
    the window in two, with your source code on the bottom and a gdb
    command line in the top. Emacs intercepts output from gdb and
    interprets it for you. When you stop at a breakpoint, Emacs will take
    the file and line number reported by gdb, and display the file
    contents, with the point of the breakpoint market. As you step through
    a program, Emacs will follow your pgoress in the source file. The
    command C-x SPC will place a breakpoint at the current point of the
    file you are in.

    Using gdb under gnu Emacs
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...gdb/emacs.html

    An Introduction To Using GDB Under Emacs
    http://tedlab.mit.edu/~dr/gdbintro.html

    --
    Tomi Engdahl (http://www.iki.fi/then/)
    http://www.epanorama.net/