Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards? - Embedded ; Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?. Earleir we used to use U-Boot Boot loader, I am looking for any better ones. The card is like Router Platform. Thanks....

  1. Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?

    Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?.
    Earleir we used to use U-Boot Boot loader, I am looking for any better
    ones. The card is like Router Platform. Thanks.

  2. Re: Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:35:11 -0700, santa19992000 wrote:

    > Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?.
    > Earleir we used to use U-Boot Boot loader, I am looking for any better
    > ones. The card is like Router Platform. Thanks.

    Better than U-Boot? What do you not like about U-Boot?

    I have done several embedded Router platforms, and I have used U-Boot for
    all of them. It has a wide set of features, supports many platforms and
    will normally fit in less than 128KB of memory.

    I am not sure what else you could want.

    Chuck

  3. Re: Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?

    Chuck,

    Actually we are doing small project based on TiniARM card, which is
    based on ARM Processor, 128KB Flash and 64K RAM (Philips 2610 based
    Microcontroller), basically we would like to load tini Bootloader and
    then OS onto it (uC-OS-ii), looking for very compact Boot Loader for
    this ARM Microcontroller. Please suggest us which one will be better.

    Thanks for your time.

  4. Re: Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?

    On 2005-06-11, GS wrote:

    > Actually we are doing small project based on TiniARM card, which is
    > based on ARM Processor, 128KB Flash and 64K RAM (Philips 2610 based
    > Microcontroller), basically we would like to load tini Bootloader and
    > then OS onto it (uC-OS-ii), looking for very compact Boot Loader for
    > this ARM Microcontroller. Please suggest us which one will be better.

    Why do you need a bootloader at all? What do you expect a
    bootloader to do on a board like that? It's not like you've
    got to load a file into RAM from a filesystem on a disk. Just
    build your program and burn it into Flash.

    --
    Grant Edwards
    grante@visi.com

  5. Re: Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?

    On Sat, 11 Jun 2005 04:37:26 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

    > On 2005-06-11, GS wrote:
    >
    >> Actually we are doing small project based on TiniARM card, which is
    >> based on ARM Processor, 128KB Flash and 64K RAM (Philips 2610 based
    >> Microcontroller), basically we would like to load tini Bootloader and
    >> then OS onto it (uC-OS-ii), looking for very compact Boot Loader for
    >> this ARM Microcontroller. Please suggest us which one will be better.

    > Why do you need a bootloader at all? What do you expect a
    > bootloader to do on a board like that? It's not like you've
    > got to load a file into RAM from a filesystem on a disk. Just
    > build your program and burn it into Flash.

    I have done linux projects on MIPS with no bootloader at all. Like
    Grant mentioned, there was a small amount of 'startup' code which simply
    initialized the system, decompressed the OS into memory and passed
    control to the OS.

    While this did not allow for the same amount of control as U-Boot,
    it was very compact and effective.

  6. Re: Which is the inexpensive Boot loader for PowerPc/ARM/MIPS based cards?

    On 2005-06-11, Chuck Gales wrote:

    >>> Actually we are doing small project based on TiniARM card, which is
    >>> based on ARM Processor, 128KB Flash and 64K RAM (Philips 2610 based
    >>> Microcontroller), basically we would like to load tini Bootloader and
    >>> then OS onto it (uC-OS-ii), looking for very compact Boot Loader for
    >>> this ARM Microcontroller. Please suggest us which one will be better.

    >> Why do you need a bootloader at all? What do you expect a
    >> bootloader to do on a board like that? It's not like you've
    >> got to load a file into RAM from a filesystem on a disk. Just
    >> build your program and burn it into Flash.

    > I have done linux projects on MIPS with no bootloader at all. Like
    > Grant mentioned, there was a small amount of 'startup' code which simply
    > initialized the system, decompressed the OS into memory and passed
    > control to the OS.

    In the OP's case (with 128K of ROM and 64K of RAM) I don't even
    see how there could be a "decompress the OS into memory" step.
    He's in all likelyhood just going to run directly from ROM.

    > While this did not allow for the same amount of control as
    > U-Boot, it was very compact and effective.

    I'm not sure what there would be to congrol if you're running
    directly from ROM unless it's a _really_ small program, you put
    multiple versions in ROM, and you actually _do_ load one into
    RAM to run it. With 64KB of RAM, I doubt he's going to be
    running from RAM.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are we live or
    at on tape?

+ Reply to Thread