Small embedded system, need working ntpd... - Embedded

This is a discussion on Small embedded system, need working ntpd... - Embedded ; I have a small embedded system (pc/104 board, CF-boot, read-only root file system, etc). I am trying to get a ntp daemon to work to keep the time accurate. I downloaded and compiled (on the same hardware but booting off ...

  1. Small embedded system, need working ntpd...

    I have a small embedded system (pc/104 board, CF-boot, read-only root
    file system, etc). I am trying to get a ntp daemon to work to keep the
    time accurate. I downloaded and compiled (on the same hardware but
    booting off a HD, which has more space, and is a 'normal' gentoo
    system) openntpd (www.openntpd.org), however I am having trouble
    getting it to work.

    There seems to be almost no documentation with it, nothing that really
    explains how to get it to work.

    I ran the file (./ntpd) and it said it couldn't find a file,
    /etc/ntpd.conf, I then created that file, then ran it again, now it
    says "unknown user _ntp". I have a "_ntp" user and a "ntp" user (one of
    my linux gurus said it would not be _ntp, another said it would be
    _ntp, so I'm confused). In either case it doesn't work, gives me the
    "unknown user _ntp" and that's as far as I get.

    Anyone used this ntpd, and if not, anyone have another simple, small
    ntpd I could throw into this project.

    TIA,
    Mark Brodis

  2. Re: Small embedded system, need working ntpd...

    On 2005-06-08, Mark wrote:
    > I have a small embedded system (pc/104 board, CF-boot, read-only root
    > file system, etc). I am trying to get a ntp daemon to work to keep the
    > time accurate. I downloaded and compiled (on the same hardware but
    > booting off a HD, which has more space, and is a 'normal' gentoo
    > system) openntpd (www.openntpd.org), however I am having trouble
    > getting it to work.
    >
    > There seems to be almost no documentation with it, nothing that really
    > explains how to get it to work.

    Someone else emailed me about that today, also for an embedded system.
    (The "make install" process normally takes care of most installation
    tasks on self-hosted systems). The doco has been updated in the latest
    snapshot with the details (see the INSTALL file):
    http://www.zip.com.au/~dtucker/openn...050626p.tar.gz

    > I ran the file (./ntpd) and it said it couldn't find a file,
    > /etc/ntpd.conf, I then created that file, then ran it again, now it
    > says "unknown user _ntp". I have a "_ntp" user and a "ntp" user (one of
    > my linux gurus said it would not be _ntp, another said it would be
    > _ntp, so I'm confused).

    It defaults to "_ntp" unless you overrode it at configure time with
    --with-privsep-user=foo.

    > In either case it doesn't work, gives me the
    > "unknown user _ntp" and that's as far as I get.

    It's possible that the problem isn't in ntpd itself, eg if your flash
    filesystem is missing some of the components required for the getpwnam()
    function to work (eg /etc/nsswitch.conf or the libnss*.so files if
    you're using glibc).

    Try the test program at the bottom of this post. If that doesn't work
    either then you need to take a closer look at your system.

    $ ./a.out _ntp
    home dir = /var/empty/ntpd
    $ ./a.out root
    home dir = /root

    > Anyone used this ntpd, and if not, anyone have another simple, small
    > ntpd I could throw into this project.

    Well, it works for me :-) I have used it on an embedded Linux firewall/
    router (300MHz Geode, 64MB RAM, 2.4 kernel, uClibc, busybox plus assorted
    other stuff).

    [example program]
    #include
    #include
    #include

    int main(int argc, char **argv)
    {
    struct passwd *pw;

    if (argc != 2) {
    printf("usage: %s username\n", argv[0]);
    exit(0);
    }
    pw = getpwnam(argv[1]);
    if (pw == NULL)
    printf("getpwnam failed\n");
    else
    printf("home dir = %s\n", pw->pw_dir);
    exit(0);
    }

    --
    Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
    usually comes from bad judgement.

  3. Re: Small embedded system, need working ntpd...

    Thanks for your response!

    I had already figured out the majority of the problems, it was with
    some library conflicts....doh!! Once that was resolved, and I got some
    help from a brilliant embedded Linux guy, all fell into place...

+ Reply to Thread