problem about CPU load testing on PPC750 - Embedded

This is a discussion on problem about CPU load testing on PPC750 - Embedded ; Hi all: I have added OpenSS7 SCTP patches to MontaVista Linux(based on 2.4.20), and run the kernel on PPC750 with a Root File Systemon a PC with SuSE 9. And I use iperf(a TCP,SCTP/UDP traffic generator) to test the bindwidth ...

  1. problem about CPU load testing on PPC750

    Hi all:

    I have added OpenSS7 SCTP patches to MontaVista Linux(based on 2.4.20),
    and run the kernel on PPC750 with a Root File Systemon a PC with SuSE
    9. And I use iperf(a TCP,SCTP/UDP traffic generator) to test the
    bindwidth of the SCTP traffic.

    And now, I want to test the CPU load of the traffic, due to some
    reason, I need to find a test tool based on counter-based algorithm to
    calculate the CPU load of process.(not the timer-based one)

    I found oprofile is nice one, but it doesnt support 2.4 kernel.
    I found top is easy to use, but it seems based on timer-based.

    So, anyone who can help me or give me some ideas?

    Thanks!

    Kev

  2. Re: problem about CPU load testing on PPC750

    OpenSS7 modified the HP netperf tool to work with the Linux Native
    Sockets SCTP. Also, we have a new release (not quite yet available
    for download) of Linux Native SCTP that installs on a kernel without
    patching it. Also soon to be released is the netperf tool that does
    CPU load testing as well.

    --brian

    --
    Brian F. G. Bidulock
    bidulock@openss7.org

  3. Re: problem about CPU load testing on PPC750

    Hi Brian:

    When you can release the NEW netperf tool for PowerPC?

    And now, I test the CPU load the SCTP stack when there is traffic load
    by
    analysing the information in /proc with command "top", and I hope I can
    use some tool to make it.

    Kev

  4. Re: problem about CPU load testing on PPC750

    It is next on my todo list.

    --brian

    --
    Brian F. G. Bidulock
    bidulock@openss7.org

  5. Re: problem about CPU load testing on PPC750

    bidulock@openss7.org wrote:
    > OpenSS7 modified the HP netperf tool to work with the Linux Native
    > Sockets SCTP. Also, we have a new release (not quite yet available
    > for download) of Linux Native SCTP that installs on a kernel without
    > patching it. Also soon to be released is the netperf tool that does
    > CPU load testing as well.

    Are these changes to 2.4.0 (which has the sctp library version of SCTP
    support already) or something older?

    I'm particularly curious to hear more about the CPU load testing as
    CPU utilization measurement in netperf is always a "fun" area.

    rick "mr netperf" jones
    - Rick Jones

  6. Re: problem about CPU load testing on PPC750

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > bidulock@openss7.org wrote:
    >> OpenSS7 modified the HP netperf tool to work with the Linux Native
    >> Sockets SCTP. Also, we have a new release (not quite yet available
    >> for download) of Linux Native SCTP that installs on a kernel without
    >> patching it. Also soon to be released is the netperf tool that does
    >> CPU load testing as well.

    > Are these changes to 2.4.0 (which has the sctp library version of SCTP
    > support already) or something older?

    > I'm particularly curious to hear more about the CPU load testing as
    > CPU utilization measurement in netperf is always a "fun" area.

    > rick "mr netperf" jones

    Modifications were made on netperf 2.3 release. Modifications were made
    not only for "sockets" (our Linux Native Sockets version of SCTP) but were
    also made for STREAMS (our STREAMS version of SCTP). I didn't know there
    was a 2.4.0 release, I'll endeavour to port forward the modifications.

    --brian
    --
    Brian F. G. Bidulock
    bidulock@openss7.org