Kernel update to 2.6.x.x, do we need a glibc update? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Kernel update to 2.6.x.x, do we need a glibc update? - Embedded ; Hi, currently we are running a 2.4.26 Linux kernel on an embedded PPC machine and a corresponding glibc 2.2.5. Everything works fine. Now we want to upgrade to a Linux kernel 2.6.x.x. Do we have to recompile our glibc with ...

  1. Kernel update to 2.6.x.x, do we need a glibc update?

    Hi,

    currently we are running a 2.4.26 Linux kernel on an embedded PPC
    machine and a corresponding glibc 2.2.5. Everything works fine.

    Now we want to upgrade to a Linux kernel 2.6.x.x.
    Do we have to recompile our glibc with updated header files?
    Or is the system call interface of the 2.6.x.x backwards compatible to
    the system call interface of a 2.4.x kernel?
    We want to keep the currently used glibc if possible.

    Thanx and kind regards

  2. Re: Kernel update to 2.6.x.x, do we need a glibc update?

    Rainer Wank wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > currently we are running a 2.4.26 Linux kernel on an embedded PPC
    > machine and a corresponding glibc 2.2.5. Everything works fine.
    >
    > Now we want to upgrade to a Linux kernel 2.6.x.x.
    > Do we have to recompile our glibc with updated header files?
    > Or is the system call interface of the 2.6.x.x backwards compatible to
    > the system call interface of a 2.4.x kernel?
    > We want to keep the currently used glibc if possible.

    Yes, see Changes in kernel 2.6.x source/Documentation/ tree

  3. Re: Kernel update to 2.6.x.x, do we need a glibc update?

    root wrote:
    > Rainer Wank wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> currently we are running a 2.4.26 Linux kernel on an embedded PPC
    >> machine and a corresponding glibc 2.2.5. Everything works fine.
    >>
    >> Now we want to upgrade to a Linux kernel 2.6.x.x.
    >> Do we have to recompile our glibc with updated header files?
    >> Or is the system call interface of the 2.6.x.x backwards compatible to
    >> the system call interface of a 2.4.x kernel?
    >> We want to keep the currently used glibc if possible.

    > Yes, see Changes in kernel 2.6.x source/Documentation/ tree

    Can you please eplain your YES? You are of the opinion that the glibc
    has to be recompiled? Why? (maybe they do not want to use new features
    like NPTL, ...)

    kind regards

    quitschn

+ Reply to Thread