Need Evaluation Board suggestion? - Embedded

This is a discussion on Need Evaluation Board suggestion? - Embedded ; Hi: I want to learn embedded system. Can anyone suggest me that a easy, cheap evaluation board that I can use it to learn embedded linue. Thanks....

  1. Need Evaluation Board suggestion?

    Hi:

    I want to learn embedded system.
    Can anyone suggest me that a easy, cheap evaluation board that I can
    use it to learn embedded linue.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Need Evaluation Board suggestion?

    wuulong wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I want to learn embedded system.
    > Can anyone suggest me that a easy, cheap evaluation board that I can
    > use it to learn embedded linue.
    >

    > Thanks.

    You can use an old X86 mother board.... that is enough
    Many books take a single PC mother board as example.....

  3. Re: Need Evaluation Board suggestion?

    wuulong wrote:
    > Hi:
    >
    > I want to learn embedded system.
    > Can anyone suggest me that a easy, cheap evaluation board that I can
    > use it to learn embedded linue.
    >

    > Thanks.

    There are several levels of "embedded" computing to go for.
    You could go small embedded computing, like the microchip PIC or the
    Zilog Z8 encored (I have seen a lot of cheap development kits for these,
    zilog is rather agressive in getting these into peoples hands...and they
    should be... I think freescale needs to learn something here).

    There are midrange embedded systems www.zworld.com has rabbit based
    devices based on a proprietary chip, there is Zilog and their acclaim
    processor, and a whole slew of 186 proto boards out there (though they
    are replaced with RDC look alikes).

    Also usefull for mid range education is www.xess.com and their XSA-200
    product. It is relatively inexpensive but allows you to learn very
    useful device programming techiniques.

    Up in the queue are the system based devices, VIA Eden embedded PCs and
    baby linux based embedded arm devices (I think www.embeddedarm.com 's
    product is fun to play/learn on and relatively cheap).
    It also maters where you are, I imagine these things are not so cheap if
    they need to ship out of the states.

    Tony

  4. Re: Need Evaluation Board suggestion?

    T Marchini wrote:
    > wuulong wrote:
    >
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I want to learn embedded system.
    >> Can anyone suggest me that a easy, cheap evaluation board that I can
    >> use it to learn embedded linue.
    >>

    >> Thanks.

    > There are several levels of "embedded" computing to go for.
    > You could go small embedded computing, like the microchip PIC or the
    > Zilog Z8 encored (I have seen a lot of cheap development kits for these,
    > zilog is rather agressive in getting these into peoples hands...and they
    > should be... I think freescale needs to learn something here).
    >
    > There are midrange embedded systems www.zworld.com has rabbit based
    > devices based on a proprietary chip, there is Zilog and their acclaim
    > processor, and a whole slew of 186 proto boards out there (though they
    > are replaced with RDC look alikes).
    >
    > Also usefull for mid range education is www.xess.com and their XSA-200
    > product. It is relatively inexpensive but allows you to learn very
    > useful device programming techiniques.
    >
    > Up in the queue are the system based devices, VIA Eden embedded PCs and
    > baby linux based embedded arm devices (I think www.embeddedarm.com 's
    > product is fun to play/learn on and relatively cheap).
    > It also maters where you are, I imagine these things are not so cheap if
    > they need to ship out of the states.
    >
    > Tony

    OOps, I wasn't looking at the group too closely. You are talking about
    embedded linux platforms...
    hmm..
    well www.embeddedarm.com is one.
    Or the vie eden boards or something like them.
    Tony

  5. Re: Need Evaluation Board suggestion?

    On 2005-06-07, T Marchini wrote:
    > wuulong wrote:
    >> Hi:
    >>
    >> I want to learn embedded system.
    >> Can anyone suggest me that a easy, cheap evaluation board that I can
    >> use it to learn embedded linue.

    > There are several levels of "embedded" computing to go for.
    > You could go small embedded computing, like the microchip PIC or the
    > Zilog Z8 encored (I have seen a lot of cheap development kits for these,
    > zilog is rather agressive in getting these into peoples hands...and they
    > should be... I think freescale needs to learn something here).

    I don't think Linux will run on a PIC or Z8.

    > There are midrange embedded systems www.zworld.com has rabbit
    > based devices based on a proprietary chip, there is Zilog and
    > their acclaim processor, and a whole slew of 186 proto boards
    > out there (though they are replaced with RDC look alikes).

    You can probably get uCLinux running on a '186 if it's got
    enough RAM. No chance for a PIC or Z8.

    > Also usefull for mid range education is www.xess.com and their
    > XSA-200 product. It is relatively inexpensive but allows you
    > to learn very useful device programming techiniques.

    I think it's going to be an uphill battle running Linux on it.

    > Up in the queue are the system based devices, VIA Eden
    > embedded PCs

    As long as you don't have to deal with the startup stuff --
    starting up and configuring an IA32 mobo is a nightmare.

    > and baby linux based embedded arm devices (I
    > think www.embeddedarm.com 's product is fun to play/learn on
    > and relatively cheap). It also maters where you are, I imagine
    > these things are not so cheap if they need to ship out of the
    > states.

    The OP needs to decided if he wants to do uCLinux or a "full
    up" Linux kernel with VM. If the former, any of the cheap ARM7
    or 68K solutions will work nicely. A Linksys wireless hub
    running a uCLinux on a Samsung ARM7 can be had for $40, and
    there's a fairly active development community:

    http://www.bettina-attack.de/jonny/v.../soho_routers/

    If he want's to run a kernel with VM, I'd recommend something
    with a StrongARM or maybe ARM9 or PPC. The gumstix products
    (StrongARM) are pretty cool:

    http://www.gumstix.com/
    http://www.gumstix.org/

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Make me look like
    at LINDA RONSTADT again!!

  6. Re: Need Evaluation Board suggestion?

    Grant Edwards wrote:
    I thought I was in comp.arch.embedded , I was making a quick response to
    a generic embedded programming request.
    Tony

  7. Re: Need Evaluation Board suggestion?

    wuulong wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest me that a easy, cheap evaluation
    > board that I can use it to learn embedded linue.

    How about a Linksys WRT54G? Take a look at
    http://www.batbox.org/wrt54g-linux.html for
    more info.

+ Reply to Thread