MontaVista Linux - Embedded

This is a discussion on MontaVista Linux - Embedded ; Why MontaVista does not upgrade their Linux support from 2.4 to 2.6 version? I was told that 2.6 is much more powerful than 2.4. Does any customer complain to Mvista?...

  1. MontaVista Linux

    Why MontaVista does not upgrade their Linux support from 2.4 to 2.6 version?
    I was told that 2.6 is much more powerful than 2.4. Does any customer
    complain to Mvista?

  2. Re: MontaVista Linux

    rob wrote:
    > Why MontaVista does not upgrade their Linux support from 2.4 to 2.6 version?
    > I was told that 2.6 is much more powerful than 2.4.

    I believe MVL are working on 2.6, but it's a lot of work; they support a
    stack of different boards.

    BTW I'm not at all convinced that 2.6 has been "hardened" enough yet for
    production purposes. There are reports of performance problems on the
    most recent release of the kernel source. I'd rather stick with a nice,
    stable 2.4 kernel until that gets sorted.

  3. Re: MontaVista Linux

    rob wrote:
    > Why MontaVista does not upgrade their Linux support from 2.4 to 2.6 version?
    > I was told that 2.6 is much more powerful than 2.4. Does any customer
    > complain to Mvista?

    Hi rob,

    Afaik Montavista is about to deliver the next Version with kernel 2.6.
    But consider that they have a lot of work: Port all supported Plattforms
    and Boards and test them (Customers pay a lot of money for MV-Linux, so
    they expect working stuff). They have to port Montavista "specials" like
    RT-Extensions and Montavista-Tools. For some platforms they need to port
    and integrate patches from the silicon vendors or third party companies.
    An one important aspect is that in the meantime the customers expect
    ongoing support for 2.4. I'm not working for Montavista :-), but I
    understand why they need so long time. And as a customer I must say that
    I like a stable and working 2.4 kernel even more then an incomplete and
    buggy 2.6 one.

    Best Regards,

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread