Motorola MX.l DMA controller problem - Embedded

This is a discussion on Motorola MX.l DMA controller problem - Embedded ; Motoroloa's MX.l's DMA controller does not support transfer count and get_dma_residue does not function. I dont know how to fix this problem....

  1. Motorola MX.l DMA controller problem

    Motoroloa's MX.l's DMA controller does not support transfer count and
    get_dma_residue does not function. I dont know how to fix this problem.

  2. Re: Motorola MX.l DMA controller problem

    On Sat, 14 May 2005 00:55:11 +0800, JJ wrote:

    > Motoroloa's MX.l's DMA controller does not support transfer count and
    > get_dma_residue does not function. I dont know how to fix this problem.

    How do you specify the data byte count?

    Can you read the ending address upon transfer complete?

  3. Re: Motorola MX.l DMA controller problem

    "JJ" wrote in message news:d62nql$edl$1@news.hgc.com.hk...
    > Motoroloa's MX.l's DMA controller does not support transfer count and
    > get_dma_residue does not function. I dont know how to fix this problem.

    Which Linux are you using ??
    I would suppose that BSP MX1, could be "quite" copmpatible with a "MX21
    BSP"

    Actually, There are 3 Linux distry today on the market. Are you using one of
    them ??
    At least the Metrowerks one can be downloaded fo free on their Website...
    Have a look if this will solve your problem with the Brand new BSP

    * Metrowerks just released a fairly new BSP wiht PCS and Embedix
    http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/downloa...asp?action=bsp
    * Monta vista also propose a BSP
    http://www.mvista.com/products/boards.html#arm
    * Now, Sysgo will propose a BSP !!
    http://www.sysgo.com/index.php?id=79...=1&tt_news=153

    Steph

  4. Re: Motorola MX.l DMA controller problem

    I am using the BSP 3.6 from Motorola. When I use GETODELAY in OSS, it
    does not work properly, so I check the kernel code. I found that it use
    Channel Count Register in get_dma_residue, and I checked the reference
    manual and found that it was used for set size of transfer cycle but
    only reflecting transferred count under normal situtation.

    I also checked its Channel Destination Address Register, but its
    content won't change and it also does not reflect any change.

    I am not sure where does it specify the data byte count but I will try
    to check it.

    Tommy Reynolds wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 May 2005 00:55:11 +0800, JJ wrote:
    >
    > > Motoroloa's MX.l's DMA controller does not support transfer count

    and
    > > get_dma_residue does not function. I dont know how to fix this

    problem.

    > How do you specify the data byte count?
    >
    > Can you read the ending address upon transfer complete?

  5. Re: Motorola MX.l DMA controller problem

    Tommy Reynolds wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 May 2005 00:55:11 +0800, JJ wrote:
    >
    > > Motoroloa's MX.l's DMA controller does not support transfer count

    and
    > > get_dma_residue does not function. I dont know how to fix this

    problem.

    > How do you specify the data byte count?
    >
    > Can you read the ending address upon transfer complete?

  6. Re: Motorola MX.l DMA controller problem

    I am using BSP 3.6 from Motorola. Thank you for your information and I
    am going to them and check if they work.

  7. Re: Motorola MX.l DMA controller problem

    I need to make a correction on previous mail:

    The Channel Count Register does not reflect transferred byte count
    under normal situation. It only reflect transferred byte count only if
    source is end-of-brust FIFO mode such as endpoint of USB. Therefore, it
    is no use under normal situtation.

  8. Re: Motorola MX.l DMA controller problem

    I checked MX21's reference manuel, Motorola added a new register
    "Channel Counter Register" to MX21's DMAC. I does not check MX21's BSP
    but I believe it is fixed by the new register in MX21.

    Stephane M wrote:
    > "JJ" wrote in message

    > > Motoroloa's MX.l's DMA controller does not support transfer count

    and
    > > get_dma_residue does not function. I dont know how to fix this

    problem.

    > Which Linux are you using ??
    > I would suppose that BSP MX1, could be "quite" copmpatible with a

    "MX21
    > BSP"
    >
    > Actually, There are 3 Linux distry today on the market. Are you using

    one of
    > them ??
    > At least the Metrowerks one can be downloaded fo free on their

    Website...
    > Have a look if this will solve your problem with the Brand new BSP
    >
    > * Metrowerks just released a fairly new BSP wiht PCS and Embedix
    > http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/downloa...asp?action=bsp
    > * Monta vista also propose a BSP
    > http://www.mvista.com/products/boards.html#arm
    > * Now, Sysgo will propose a BSP !!
    > http://www.sysgo.com/index.php?id=79...=1&tt_news=153
    >
    > Steph

  9. Re: Motorola MX.l DMA controller problem

    Stephane M wrote:
    > "JJ" wrote in message

    > > Motoroloa's MX.l's DMA controller does not support transfer count

    and
    > > get_dma_residue does not function. I dont know how to fix this

    problem.

    > Which Linux are you using ??
    > I would suppose that BSP MX1, could be "quite" copmpatible with a

    "MX21
    > BSP"
    >
    > Actually, There are 3 Linux distry today on the market. Are you using

    one of
    > them ??
    > At least the Metrowerks one can be downloaded fo free on their

    Website...
    > Have a look if this will solve your problem with the Brand new BSP
    >
    > * Metrowerks just released a fairly new BSP wiht PCS and Embedix
    > http://www.metrowerks.com/MW/downloa...asp?action=bsp
    > * Monta vista also propose a BSP
    > http://www.mvista.com/products/boards.html#arm
    > * Now, Sysgo will propose a BSP !!
    > http://www.sysgo.com/index.php?id=79...=1&tt_news=153
    >
    > Steph

  10. re:Motorola MX.l DMA controller problem

    All,

    If you refer to the BSP0.3.6, it means you are using the iMXL or iMX1
    BSP. You cannot retrieve the current number of bytes that have been
    exchanged (=get_dma_residue), the DMA does not support it.

    Yet, this function is available in the iMX21, with a new register
    called counter register, that indicates the number of bytes really
    transferred.

+ Reply to Thread