what is Linux root File System ? - Embedded

This is a discussion on what is Linux root File System ? - Embedded ; Hi, I want to know what is a root file system. Whether u refer to a one single file or multiple files as root file system. When i build a linux kernel for an embedded system. whether the kernel and ...

  1. what is Linux root File System ?

    Hi,
    I want to know what is a root file system.

    Whether u refer to a one single file or multiple files as root file
    system.

    When i build a linux kernel for an embedded system. whether the kernel
    and root file system are different files or same files.

    Regards,
    john

  2. Re: what is Linux root File System ?

    On 2005-05-03, Maximus wrote:
    > I want to know what is a root file system.

    Is a file system that is mounted at the root of your installation,
    so is the 'root' of the other file systems (duh!)

    Davide

    --
    For their next act, they'll no doubt be buying a firewall running
    under NT, which makes about as much sense as building a prison out

  3. Re: what is Linux root File System ?

    Maximus wrote:
    > I want to know what is a root file system.

    Read this:
    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-...ROOTFILESYSTEM

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    markku.kolkka@iki.fi

  4. Re: what is Linux root File System ?

    Maximus :

    > Hi,
    > I want to know what is a root file system.

    It is the file system that's hosting the / directory (as
    opposed to /home, which I'd call the "users file system").

    > Whether u refer to a one single file or multiple files as root file
    > system.

    Nonesense.

    > When i build a linux kernel for an embedded system. whether the kernel
    > and root file system are different files or same files.

    Pardon?

    Alexander Skwar
    --
    People tend to make rules for others and exceptions for themselves.
    ·_·¯·_·¯·_ ♘♞♟♙♖♜ аäöüßÄÖÜæœłø¼½¾¤¹²³¢€£¥¶ ¬÷×±©®™¡¿ ♪♬♯♪♬♯* ¯·_·¯·_·¯·

  5. Re: what is Linux root File System ?

    In <3634de74.0505030114.875961d@posting.google.com>, on 05/03/2005
    at 02:14 AM, john.maximus@gmail.com (Maximus) said:

    > I want to know what is a root file system.

    Whatever file system you designate as root[1].

    >When i build a linux kernel for an embedded system. whether the
    >kernel and root file system are different files or same files.

    The kernel is files withing a file system. If it's convenient, put it
    in root, if not, put it in /boot. The way that you configure your boot
    loader must match where you decide to pout the kernel.

    [1] It's called root because it's the basis for referring to all other
    files and directories. If you have multiple file system, you need
    to mount the others into access points, after which they are
    treated as though they are part of root.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  6. Re: what is Linux root File System ?

    I think root file system is the place that linux kernel recognize as
    it's root place.

    normally, we have a single file that contain the root filesystem. and
    load it to memroy.

    Best Regards,

    Maximus wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I want to know what is a root file system.
    >
    > Whether u refer to a one single file or multiple files as root file
    > system.
    >
    > When i build a linux kernel for an embedded system. whether the kernel
    > and root file system are different files or same files.
    >

    > Regards,
    > john

+ Reply to Thread