Using scratchbox and buildroot on PowerPC - Embedded

This is a discussion on Using scratchbox and buildroot on PowerPC - Embedded ; I have a couple of questions about getting a scratchbox-based linux running on my PowerPC-based target. I am using buildroot (buildroot.uclibc.org/) to generate the root filesystem. 1. Can I use my x86 linux development computer's native mknod to create /dev ...

  1. Using scratchbox and buildroot on PowerPC

    I have a couple of questions about getting a scratchbox-based linux
    running on my PowerPC-based target. I am using buildroot
    (buildroot.uclibc.org/) to generate the root filesystem.

    1. Can I use my x86 linux development computer's native mknod to create
    /dev entries in the root file system for my PowerPC-based target, or do
    I have to use a PowerPC cross-development version of that tool?

    2. Do I have to manually figure out what modules need to be loaded and
    manually build the modules.conf (or equivalent) configuration file, or
    is there a way to automate this based on the kernel configuration file?

    I have gotten the kernel to generate its startup messages on ttyS0, and
    it successfully mounts the root file system over NFS. However, it would
    then generate a message like "could not open console" (I don't remember
    the exact message). Using my development computer's mknod to create a
    /dev/console got rid of this message, but I am not sure if this is the
    correct way to do this.

    After doing that, the kernel proceeds to run the init.d scripts. When
    it runs S40network, it generates a segmentation fault at /sbin/ifup -a,
    and I am wondering if it is because a required module has not been
    loaded. Would this be the symptom?

    Thanks.

    Gregg

  2. Re: Using scratchbox and buildroot on PowerPC

    Oops, I meant "busybox", not "scratchbox". I am using buildroot, not
    scratchbox, to generate the cross-development tools and a
    busybox-based root filesystem.

    Gregg

  3. Re: Using scratchbox and buildroot on PowerPC

    > 1. Can I use my x86 linux development computer's native mknod to create
    > /dev entries in the root file system for my PowerPC-based target, or do
    > I have to use a PowerPC cross-development version of that tool?

    Yes, no problem with that, my dev script does just that for a ppc nfs root
    on an x86 box.

    > 2. Do I have to manually figure out what modules need to be loaded and
    > manually build the modules.conf (or equivalent) configuration file, or
    > is there a way to automate this based on the kernel configuration file?
    >
    > I have gotten the kernel to generate its startup messages on ttyS0, and
    > it successfully mounts the root file system over NFS. However, it would
    > then generate a message like "could not open console" (I don't remember
    > the exact message). Using my development computer's mknod to create a
    > /dev/console got rid of this message, but I am not sure if this is the
    > correct way to do this.

    Are you passing something like "console=ttyS0,9600" in the boot arguments to
    the kernel ?, how is your kernel loaded ?

    > After doing that, the kernel proceeds to run the init.d scripts. When
    > it runs S40network, it generates a segmentation fault at /sbin/ifup -a,
    > and I am wondering if it is because a required module has not been
    > loaded. Would this be the symptom?

    Why not rebuild the kernel without modules ie. use built in network device
    drivers.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Gregg

    Cheers.