ssv MCF5280 boards & uClinux - Embedded

This is a discussion on ssv MCF5280 boards & uClinux - Embedded ; Hi I plan to use a board with uClinux installed. How stable is uClinux ? How easy is it to debug ? Anyone who would avoid the use of uClinux ? I need to port an old 8051 app to ...

  1. ssv MCF5280 boards & uClinux

    Hi

    I plan to use a board with uClinux installed.

    How stable is uClinux ?
    How easy is it to debug ?

    Anyone who would avoid the use of uClinux ?

    I need to port an old 8051 app to this platform.
    I need a 100ms cyclic thread ,and use serial comm.

    Johan

  2. Re: ssv MCF5280 boards & uClinux

    > I need a 100ms cyclic thread ,and use serial comm.

    No Linux / µCLinux can _guarantee_ to meet any timing (hard real time).
    This is not what Linux is made for. You only can bet on a certain (high)
    likelihood that your cycles will occur with their 100msec window (soft
    real time).

    If you need hard real time you can add RTAI to Linux (and AFAIK to
    µCLinux as well).

    -Michael

+ Reply to Thread