Mips Kernel Debugger - Embedded

This is a discussion on Mips Kernel Debugger - Embedded ; Hello, I am using Mips Processor for my linux embeeded application, How I should build Linux Kernel Debugger Image for the Mips architecture. Please give me information regarding this, if somebody who have alreardy built this. Thanks in Advance Prakash ...

  1. Mips Kernel Debugger

    Hello,
    I am using Mips Processor for my linux embeeded application, How I
    should build Linux Kernel Debugger Image for the Mips architecture.
    Please give me information regarding this, if somebody who have
    alreardy built this.
    Thanks in Advance
    Prakash Bankolli

  2. Re: Mips Kernel Debugger

    prakash B wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I am using Mips Processor for my linux embeeded application, How I
    > should build Linux Kernel Debugger Image for the Mips architecture.
    > Please give me information regarding this, if somebody who have
    > alreardy built this.
    > Thanks in Advance
    > Prakash Bankolli

    That's very little information you give here. First there is
    dmesg, /var/log/messages but for embedded applications, do you have a
    JTAG-device? Do you have an UART present? Are you able to use it through a
    serial connection? Etc, etc. Just stating "I want to debug my embedded
    kernel" doesn't work. Maybe there is a MIPS-emulator for your host
    platform?

    --
    Regards,

    Fester

  3. Re: Mips Kernel Debugger

    Fester wrote in message news:<425372af$0$143$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>...
    > prakash B wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > I am using Mips Processor for my linux embeeded application, How I
    > > should build Linux Kernel Debugger Image for the Mips architecture.
    > > Please give me information regarding this, if somebody who have
    > > alreardy built this.
    > > Thanks in Advance
    > > Prakash Bankolli

    > That's very little information you give here. First there is
    > dmesg, /var/log/messages but for embedded applications, do you have a
    > JTAG-device? Do you have an UART present? Are you able to use it through a
    > serial connection? Etc, etc. Just stating "I want to debug my embedded
    > kernel" doesn't work. Maybe there is a MIPS-emulator for your host
    > platform?

    Hello Fester,
    I am using serial port(null modem) connection to my target from host
    machine. The software which embeeded in my target downloads the Image
    from my host machine using ethernet connection. My target has got
    previlage for only one serial port. Actually I have gone through the
    link below mentioned,
    "http://linux.junsun.net/porting-howto/porting-howto.html"
    I followed the steps it has mentioned, but I am getting more undefined
    references as follows.

    arch/mips/kernel/kernel.o: In function `getpacket':
    arch/mips/kernel/kernel.o(.text+0x85ac): undefined reference to
    `getDebugChar'

    The site says that, I need to provide board specific UART routines.
    Here I am using Atheros board, where I could find the definitions for
    these routines. Please correct me, If my understanding is wrong.

    with regards
    Prakash Bankolli

  4. Re: Mips Kernel Debugger

    In article ,
    prakash_bunks@rediffmail.com (prakash B) writes:
    > I am using serial port(null modem) connection to my target from host
    > machine. The software which embeeded in my target downloads the Image
    > from my host machine using ethernet connection. My target has got
    > previlage for only one serial port. Actually I have gone through the
    > link below mentioned,
    > "http://linux.junsun.net/porting-howto/porting-howto.html"
    > I followed the steps it has mentioned, but I am getting more undefined
    > references as follows.
    >
    > arch/mips/kernel/kernel.o: In function `getpacket':
    > arch/mips/kernel/kernel.o(.text+0x85ac): undefined reference to
    > `getDebugChar'
    >

    > The site says that, I need to provide board specific UART routines.
    > Here I am using Atheros board, where I could find the definitions for
    > these routines.

    Just look at the source :-)
    (# find -type f | xargs grep getDebugChar)

    You'll probably find that getDebugChar() is expected to have this
    prototype:

    char getDebugChar(void)

    You'll also probably find that another function called putDebugChar()
    is required:

    void putDebugChar(char)

    What these functions are supposed to do is not really hard to guess:

    getDebugChar should wait until a character is available from the
    UART and, as soon as there is, it should return it.

    putDebugChar should transmit a character through the UART
    (possibly waiting until the UART's transmit hold is ready to accept
    another character).

    So, what you need to provide is essentially a very simple, polled (i.e.
    *not* interrupt-driven) driver for the UART on your board. Your
    hardware manual should give hints as to how to do that. Also use
    google: you may be lucky find some sample code for your UART that
    you can cannibalize...

    Rob

    --
    Robert Kaiser email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT com
    SYSGO AG http://www.elinos.com

+ Reply to Thread