Embedded linux boards - Embedded

This is a discussion on Embedded linux boards - Embedded ; Hi guys, I work in a private indian University as part-time Faculty. I handle Linux programming and Device drivers. I have been assigned a task to start a new embedded linux training programme. I have browsed through linuxdevices.com and other ...

  1. Embedded linux boards

    Hi guys,

    I work in a private indian University as part-time Faculty. I
    handle Linux programming and Device drivers. I have been assigned a
    task to start a new embedded linux training programme. I have browsed
    through linuxdevices.com and other web sites to collect information
    about SBC's.

    I am confused about what hardware to pick up . I want to demonstrate
    the development process of an embedded linux system which would cover
    the following

    BSP
    Boot image creation
    RTOS porting on target
    Demonstration
    Mini project
    Basics of Embedded applications

    Pl help me

    thanx in advance

    Bye

  2. Re: Embedded linux boards

    In article <1e53117.0504040504.782f657d@posting.google.com>,
    rag.b123@gmail.com (steve) writes:
    > I am confused about what hardware to pick up . I want to demonstrate
    > the development process of an embedded linux system which would cover
    > the following
    >
    > BSP

    Linux doesn't really have a clearly drawn BSP interface, so it is
    hard to define this part of the development process.

    > Boot image creation
    > RTOS porting on target
    > Demonstration
    > Mini project
    > Basics of Embedded applications

    Except for the BSP part, any old PC (even obsolete) can be used
    to demonstrate these things: From a software point of view,
    "embedded" x86 boards are not very different from an old PC
    with a small harddisk (or no harddisk at all), though by sight
    they do look quite different....

    However, you may also want to demonstrate real cross development
    for which you should select a non-x86 (e.g. ARM or PPC) target.
    There are many different kinds of (typically "eval-type") boards
    available to choose from. You should select one that has an
    up to date Linux kernel available. I used to use boards from
    SSV (www.ssv-embedded.de) as well as the LART board (see
    http://www.lart.tudelft.nl), but I suspect that latter one is
    a bit outdated by now.

    Rob

    --
    Robert Kaiser email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT com
    SYSGO AG http://www.elinos.com

+ Reply to Thread