Opie 1.2 released - Embedded

This is a discussion on Opie 1.2 released - Embedded ; The Opie Team is proud to announce the next stable release of the Open Palmtop Integrated Environment (Opie), version 1.2. Version 1.2 builds upon the last stable version (1.0.3, released November 2003), and provides a rich graphical user environment and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Opie 1.2 released

  1. Opie 1.2 released

    The Opie Team is proud to announce the next stable release of the Open
    Palmtop Integrated Environment (Opie), version 1.2.

    Version 1.2 builds upon the last stable version (1.0.3, released November
    2003), and provides a rich graphical user environment and comprehensive
    selection of applications. Applications include personal information
    management (PIM), media players for many different audio and video formats,
    viewers for images and electronic documents, games and many utilities for
    file transfer, connectivity with other computers, etc. As with previous
    versions, Opie continues to provide binary compatibility with applications
    developed for TrollTech's Qtopia environment.

    Opie supports synchronization with other computers using KDE's next
    generation synchronization framework known as KitchenSync, MultiSync and
    Qtopia Desktop.

    Like most Linux software, Opie is able to run on a wide variety of
    platforms.
    Opie has direct hardware support for Hewlett Packard iPAQ, Sharp Zaurus,
    Yopy and Siemens SIMpad devices. Opie is provided in several Linux
    distributions including: Familiar, OpenZaurus and OpenSIMpad.

    This version will appear in the next version of your favorite distribution,
    such as OpenZaurus 3.5.3 and Familiar 0.8.2.

    For more information, please see:
    http://opie.handhelds.org/cgi-bin/mo...fOpie1_2e2_2e0

    Oliver

  2. Re: Opie 1.2 released

    Oliver Fels wrote:

    > Like most Linux software, Opie is able to run on a wide variety of
    > platforms.


    x86 and arm is "wide variety"? Does it run on mips? Seems like a silly
    question, but was never answered (google finds those).

  3. Re: Opie 1.2 released

    citizenr wrote:

    > Oliver Fels wrote:
    >
    >> Like most Linux software, Opie is able to run on a wide variety of
    >> platforms.

    >
    > x86 and arm is "wide variety"? Does it run on mips? Seems like a silly
    > question, but was never answered (google finds those).


    Opie has been brought to run on the Z, the iPAQs, Psion5, Simpad, and
    several others.
    This includes certain x86, StrongArm and MIPS devices, though I have lost
    track about the MIPS status.

    In fact almost every device running Linux can be equipped with Opie.

    Oliver


  4. Re: Opie 1.2 released

    Oliver Fels wrote:

    > Opie has been brought to run on the Z, the iPAQs, Psion5, Simpad, and
    > several others.
    > This includes certain x86, StrongArm and MIPS devices, though I have lost
    > track about the MIPS status.


    http://opie.handhelds.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Hardware:
    >Opie's minimal hardware requirements are as follows:
    >x86 or arm processor


    Its missleading, today I found this

    http://www.jlime.com/galleries/scree...andwriting.jpg
    Hitachi SH3

    > In fact almost every device running Linux can be equipped with Opie.


    Is there a forum or a newsgroup dedicated to opie ?

  5. Re: Opie 1.2 released

    citizenr wrote:

    > Oliver Fels wrote:
    >
    >> Opie has been brought to run on the Z, the iPAQs, Psion5, Simpad, and
    >> several others.
    >> This includes certain x86, StrongArm and MIPS devices, though I have lost
    >> track about the MIPS status.

    >
    > http://opie.handhelds.org/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Hardware:
    > >Opie's minimal hardware requirements are as follows:
    > >x86 or arm processor


    Yes, we haven't updated this for a while because there is no status feedback
    from other platforms.
    We know that it has been running on those and active support from us is
    available for Zaurus, iPAQs and Simpads.

    > Its missleading, today I found this
    >
    > http://www.jlime.com/galleries/scree...andwriting.jpg
    > Hitachi SH3


    Yes. See above regarding my statement about status feedback.


    >> In fact almost every device running Linux can be equipped with Opie.

    >
    > Is there a forum or a newsgroup dedicated to opie ?


    No, there is none. We primarily use the mailing lists.

    Oliver


+ Reply to Thread