booting from Floppy with Kernel 2.6.4 : Kernel panic - Embedded

This is a discussion on booting from Floppy with Kernel 2.6.4 : Kernel panic - Embedded ; Hi I put the syslinux together with a bzImage from the 2.6.4 Kernel on a floppy to boot my old PC from a floppy and to use it as an embedded target platform emulation. To match the 1.44Mb limitation of ...

  1. booting from Floppy with Kernel 2.6.4 : Kernel panic

    Hi

    I put the syslinux together with a bzImage from the 2.6.4 Kernel on a
    floppy to boot my old PC from a floppy and to use it as an embedded
    target platform emulation. To match the 1.44Mb limitation of a floppy
    I had to strip the kernel (perhaps too much).
    When I boot from the floppy I get (I also tried it on my HP Pavilion
    and got the same error):

    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2

    The last echos from the boot process before the panic happened:

    hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
    .....some other echos
    attempt to access beyond end of device
    hda2: rw=0, want=4, limit=2
    EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
    attempt to access beyond end of device
    hda2: rw=0, want=4, limit=2
    MINIX-fs: unable to read superblock
    attempt to access beyond end of device
    hda2: rw=0, want=66, limit=2
    isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hda2, iso_blknum=16, block=32
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2

    Could you help me please
    TIA Hans-Joerg

  2. Re: booting from Floppy with Kernel 2.6.4 : Kernel panic

    Hans-Joerg Wagner wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I put the syslinux together with a bzImage from the 2.6.4 Kernel on a
    > floppy to boot my old PC from a floppy and to use it as an embedded
    > target platform emulation. To match the 1.44Mb limitation of a floppy
    > I had to strip the kernel (perhaps too much).
    > When I boot from the floppy I get (I also tried it on my HP Pavilion
    > and got the same error):
    >
    > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2
    >
    > The last echos from the boot process before the panic happened:
    >
    > hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
    > ....some other echos
    > attempt to access beyond end of device
    > hda2: rw=0, want=4, limit=2
    > EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
    > attempt to access beyond end of device
    > hda2: rw=0, want=4, limit=2
    > MINIX-fs: unable to read superblock
    > attempt to access beyond end of device
    > hda2: rw=0, want=66, limit=2
    > isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hda2, iso_blknum=16, block=32
    > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2
    >
    > Could you help me please
    > TIA Hans-Joerg

    This appears as there is no file system driver for
    the root file system, or there is no usable file
    system on /dev/hda2.

    Which file system do you have on /dev/hda2?

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  3. Re: booting from Floppy with Kernel 2.6.4 : Kernel panic

    Hans-Joerg Wagner wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I put the syslinux together with a bzImage from the 2.6.4 Kernel on a
    > floppy to boot my old PC from a floppy and to use it as an embedded
    > target platform emulation. To match the 1.44Mb limitation of a floppy
    > I had to strip the kernel (perhaps too much).
    > When I boot from the floppy I get (I also tried it on my HP Pavilion
    > and got the same error):
    >
    > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2
    >
    > The last echos from the boot process before the panic happened:
    >
    > hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
    > ....some other echos
    > isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hda2, iso_blknum=16, block=32
    > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2

    Looks like your hda2 is an extended partition, so hda1, hda5 or hda6
    should be your root fs. If you can boot from a rescue cd or floppy, it
    would be nice to see the output of "fdisk -l /dev/hda".

    Trygve.

  4. Re: booting from Floppy with Kernel 2.6.4 : Kernel panic

    Tauno Voipio wrote in message news:...
    > Hans-Joerg Wagner wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I put the syslinux together with a bzImage from the 2.6.4 Kernel on a
    > > floppy to boot my old PC from a floppy and to use it as an embedded
    > > target platform emulation. To match the 1.44Mb limitation of a floppy
    > > I had to strip the kernel (perhaps too much).
    > > When I boot from the floppy I get (I also tried it on my HP Pavilion
    > > and got the same error):
    > >
    > > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2
    > >
    > > The last echos from the boot process before the panic happened:
    > >
    > > hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
    > > ....some other echos
    > > attempt to access beyond end of device
    > > hda2: rw=0, want=4, limit=2
    > > EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
    > > attempt to access beyond end of device
    > > hda2: rw=0, want=4, limit=2
    > > MINIX-fs: unable to read superblock
    > > attempt to access beyond end of device
    > > hda2: rw=0, want=66, limit=2
    > > isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hda2, iso_blknum=16, block=32
    > > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2
    > >
    > > Could you help me please
    > > TIA Hans-Joerg

    > This appears as there is no file system driver for
    > the root file system, or there is no usable file
    > system on /dev/hda2.
    >
    > Which file system do you have on /dev/hda2?

    Hi and thanks to Tauno (Kitos Tauno)

    I don't know much about filesystems yet. On the PC I mentioned there
    is a WIN98 installed. I guess with a standard installation this should
    be a FAT.
    On the Laptop I have a Windows XP and on a second partition there is
    the SuSe 9.1 Linux. However I put the GRUB on a floppy due to some
    warnings from a colleague, that my current fedora core has a bug in
    the bootmanager making the MBR invalid and the Windows partition
    invisible.
    Shouldn't the Kernel on my syslinux floppy be able to access a
    partition for WIN98 (I guess with FAT fs)?
    For first steps with little programs/applications, is it possible to
    remove all mass storage drivers except the ramdisk in the menuconfig
    to avoid the kernel panic?

    TIA
    Hans-Joerg

  5. Re: booting from Floppy with Kernel 2.6.4 : Kernel panic

    Trygve Selmer wrote in message news:<424A60AB.3050609@start.no>...
    > Hans-Joerg Wagner wrote:
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I put the syslinux together with a bzImage from the 2.6.4 Kernel on a
    > > floppy to boot my old PC from a floppy and to use it as an embedded
    > > target platform emulation. To match the 1.44Mb limitation of a floppy
    > > I had to strip the kernel (perhaps too much).
    > > When I boot from the floppy I get (I also tried it on my HP Pavilion
    > > and got the same error):
    > >
    > > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2
    > >
    > > The last echos from the boot process before the panic happened:
    > >
    > > hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
    > > ....some other echos
    > > isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hda2, iso_blknum=16, block=32
    > > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2

    > Looks like your hda2 is an extended partition, so hda1, hda5 or hda6
    > should be your root fs. If you can boot from a rescue cd or floppy, it
    > would be nice to see the output of "fdisk -l /dev/hda".
    >
    > Trygve.

    Hi Trygve

    Im lucky I have a fedore rescue cd. Here you are (table from my laptop
    with the GRUB on a floppy):

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 53045 26734648+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2 55001 77520 11350080 83 Linux
    /dev/hda3 53046 55000 985320 83 Linux

    I hope you will have the "now its obvious" effect.

    TIA
    Hans-Jörg

  6. Re: booting from Floppy with Kernel 2.6.4 : Kernel panic

    Hans-Joerg Wagner wrote:
    > Tauno Voipio wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>Hans-Joerg Wagner wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>I put the syslinux together with a bzImage from the 2.6.4 Kernel on a
    >>>floppy to boot my old PC from a floppy and to use it as an embedded
    >>>target platform emulation. To match the 1.44Mb limitation of a floppy
    >>>I had to strip the kernel (perhaps too much).
    >>>When I boot from the floppy I get (I also tried it on my HP Pavilion
    >>>and got the same error):
    >>>
    >>>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2
    >>>
    >>>The last echos from the boot process before the panic happened:
    >>>
    >>>hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
    >>>....some other echos
    >>>attempt to access beyond end of device
    >>>hda2: rw=0, want=4, limit=2
    >>>EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
    >>>attempt to access beyond end of device
    >>>hda2: rw=0, want=4, limit=2
    >>>MINIX-fs: unable to read superblock
    >>>attempt to access beyond end of device
    >>>hda2: rw=0, want=66, limit=2
    >>>isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hda2, iso_blknum=16, block=32
    >>>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2
    >>>
    >>>Could you help me please
    >>>TIA Hans-Joerg

    >>This appears as there is no file system driver for
    >>the root file system, or there is no usable file
    >>system on /dev/hda2.
    >>
    >>Which file system do you have on /dev/hda2?

    > Hi and thanks to Tauno (Kitos Tauno)
    >
    > I don't know much about filesystems yet. On the PC I mentioned there
    > is a WIN98 installed. I guess with a standard installation this should
    > be a FAT.

    Windows98 will run on a FAT filesystem (probably FAT32). Linux
    knows the extended FAT filesystem of Windows95 and up as VFAT.

    > On the Laptop I have a Windows XP and on a second partition there is
    > the SuSe 9.1 Linux. However I put the GRUB on a floppy due to some
    > warnings from a colleague, that my current fedora core has a bug in
    > the bootmanager making the MBR invalid and the Windows partition
    > invisible.

    XP is pretty probably on a NTFS filesystem. Linux can read it,
    but writing is unsafe at its best due to the fact that Microsoft
    has not released the specifications and they are constantly being
    changed.

    > Shouldn't the Kernel on my syslinux floppy be able to access a
    > partition for WIN98 (I guess with FAT fs)?
    > For first steps with little programs/applications, is it possible to
    > remove all mass storage drivers except the ramdisk in the menuconfig
    > to avoid the kernel panic?

    In this case, it's possible that the kernel on the floppy
    does not know the correct root partition. If you know it,
    you can give it as a root= kernel paremeter, e.g. root=/dev/hda3.

    One of the easiest ways to get at the correct partitions
    is to boot a live CD (e.g. Knoppix) and see what partitions
    it finds. You should pretty easily find the partition with
    root filesystem-like names in it.

    HTH

    (Tschuess)

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

  7. Re: booting from Floppy with Kernel 2.6.4 : Kernel panic

    Hans-Joerg Wagner wrote:
    > Trygve Selmer wrote in message news:<424A60AB.3050609@start.no>...
    >
    >>Hans-Joerg Wagner wrote:
    >>
    >>>hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
    >>>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2

    >>Looks like your hda2 is an extended partition, so hda1, hda5 or hda6
    >>should be your root fs. If you can boot from a rescue cd or floppy, it
    >>would be nice to see the output of "fdisk -l /dev/hda".

    > Im lucky I have a fedore rescue cd. Here you are (table from my laptop
    > with the GRUB on a floppy):
    >
    > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > /dev/hda1 * 1 53045 26734648+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    > /dev/hda2 55001 77520 11350080 83 Linux
    > /dev/hda3 53046 55000 985320 83 Linux
    >
    > I hope you will have the "now its obvious" effect.
    >
    > TIA
    > Hans-Jörg

    Hi,

    This can't be right. Your kernel says "hda1 hda2 " while your
    listing says hda1, hda2 and hda3. Are you sure this is the same disk?

    Trygve.

  8. Re: booting from Floppy with Kernel 2.6.4 : Kernel panic

    Tauno Voipio wrote in message news:...
    > Hans-Joerg Wagner wrote:
    > > Tauno Voipio wrote in message news:...

    > >>This appears as there is no file system driver for
    > >>the root file system, or there is no usable file
    > >>system on /dev/hda2.
    > >>
    > >>Which file system do you have on /dev/hda2?

    > > Hi and thanks to Tauno (Kitos Tauno)
    > >
    > > I don't know much about filesystems yet. On the PC I mentioned there
    > > is a WIN98 installed. I guess with a standard installation this should
    > > be a FAT.

    > Windows98 will run on a FAT filesystem (probably FAT32). Linux
    > knows the extended FAT filesystem of Windows95 and up as VFAT.
    >
    > > On the Laptop I have a Windows XP and on a second partition there is
    > > the SuSe 9.1 Linux. However I put the GRUB on a floppy due to some
    > > warnings from a colleague, that my current fedora core has a bug in
    > > the bootmanager making the MBR invalid and the Windows partition
    > > invisible.

    > XP is pretty probably on a NTFS filesystem. Linux can read it,
    > but writing is unsafe at its best due to the fact that Microsoft
    > has not released the specifications and they are constantly being
    > changed.
    >
    > > Shouldn't the Kernel on my syslinux floppy be able to access a
    > > partition for WIN98 (I guess with FAT fs)?
    > > For first steps with little programs/applications, is it possible to
    > > remove all mass storage drivers except the ramdisk in the menuconfig
    > > to avoid the kernel panic?

    > In this case, it's possible that the kernel on the floppy
    > does not know the correct root partition. If you know it,
    > you can give it as a root= kernel paremeter, e.g. root=/dev/hda3.
    >
    > One of the easiest ways to get at the correct partitions
    > is to boot a live CD (e.g. Knoppix) and see what partitions
    > it finds. You should pretty easily find the partition with
    > root filesystem-like names in it.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > (Tschuess)

    Hi Tauno

    Thanks for your suggestions. If I would have read my tutorial book
    right deep in the night, I would have seen that after putting the
    bzImage on the floppy the kernel will panic because it lacks the
    parameters from syslinux.cfg, im sorry. I did not mention, that I plan
    to boot a pc target over a nfs to gather some experience in embedded
    developping, thus my tutorial describes the syslinux.cfg as follows:

    timeout 0
    append root=/dev/nfs ip=bootp

    Therefore I will not further follow up this subject. However I stuck
    with new problems considering the bootp server. I will post a new
    subject for this. Hope you like to help me with this new subject.

    PS: How did you make the compressed short form of your posting with
    the hyperlink to expand it?

    Thanks
    Hans-Joerg

  9. Re: booting from Floppy with Kernel 2.6.4 : Kernel panic

    Trygve Selmer wrote in message news:<424BBD7C.80500@start.no>...
    > Hans-Joerg Wagner wrote:
    > > Trygve Selmer wrote in message news:<424A60AB.3050609@start.no>...

    > >>Looks like your hda2 is an extended partition, so hda1, hda5 or hda6
    > >>should be your root fs. If you can boot from a rescue cd or floppy, it
    > >>would be nice to see the output of "fdisk -l /dev/hda".

    > > Im lucky I have a fedore rescue cd. Here you are (table from my laptop
    > > with the GRUB on a floppy):
    > >
    > > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > > /dev/hda1 * 1 53045 26734648+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
    > > /dev/hda2 55001 77520 11350080 83 Linux
    > > /dev/hda3 53046 55000 985320 83 Linux
    > >
    > > I hope you will have the "now its obvious" effect.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Hans-Jörg

    > Hi,
    >
    > This can't be right. Your kernel says "hda1 hda2 " while your
    > listing says hda1, hda2 and hda3. Are you sure this is the same disk?
    >
    > Trygve.

    Hi Trygve,

    This table was from my notebook, that reported the same problem as the
    PC with hda1 hda2 , sorry for the confusion.
    I will not follow up further this subject as you can read in my last
    posting for Tauno. But now I have a new problem to set up a bootp
    server to get the root fs for the kernel over nfs, if you like to help
    me, I will post a new subject for this.

    TIA
    Hans-Joerg

  10. Re: booting from Floppy with Kernel 2.6.4 : Kernel panic

    > Hi Tauno
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestions. If I would have read my tutorial book
    > right deep in the night, I would have seen that after putting the
    > bzImage on the floppy the kernel will panic because it lacks the
    > parameters from syslinux.cfg, im sorry. I did not mention, that I plan
    > to boot a pc target over a nfs to gather some experience in embedded
    > developping, thus my tutorial describes the syslinux.cfg as follows:
    >
    > timeout 0
    > append root=/dev/nfs ip=bootp
    >
    > Therefore I will not further follow up this subject. However I stuck
    > with new problems considering the bootp server. I will post a new
    > subject for this. Hope you like to help me with this new subject.

    Have you read the Diskless-HOWTO's in the Linux Documentation Project?
    Most distributions include the HOWTO's, and the root URL of the
    Project is . Please use the mirror nearest
    you, mine is .

    > PS: How did you make the compressed short form of your posting with
    > the hyperlink to expand it?

    I did not do anything special - just plain text. Maybe
    your newsreader is smart enough to handle such things.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi

+ Reply to Thread