Installing Linux on unknown hardware - Embedded

This is a discussion on Installing Linux on unknown hardware - Embedded ; Ive got a little project that I could use some advice on... Ive inherited some custom hardware, that has an onboard Disk-On-Module, 2 usb ports, RAM, CPU, VGA output, ethernet (Realtek chip) and audio out. Some of the chips have ...

  1. Installing Linux on unknown hardware

    Ive got a little project that I could use some advice on...

    Ive inherited some custom hardware, that has an onboard Disk-On-Module,
    2 usb ports, RAM, CPU, VGA output, ethernet (Realtek chip) and audio
    out. Some of the chips have a heat-sink on them so I cant tell exactly
    what on it.

    >From the person I obtained it from, I know its an x86 compatable cpu

    with a 'sigma-design' audio/video co-processor. I have no idea, how big
    the flash disk is, nor, how much ram on board.

    When I power it on, it says Non System Boot Disk, which suggest the DOM
    is blank and I should be able to install linux on it.

    I dont have much experience in building toolchains or kernals, so what
    would be some suggestions on a (tiny) distro that might work without
    much modification that could detect some of the basic hardware (usb,
    ethernet)?

    TIA,
    Ben

  2. Re: Installing Linux on unknown hardware

    wrote in message
    news:1111896121.935994.115270@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > Ive got a little project that I could use some advice on...
    >
    > Ive inherited some custom hardware, that has an onboard Disk-On-Module,
    > 2 usb ports, RAM, CPU, VGA output, ethernet (Realtek chip) and audio
    > out. Some of the chips have a heat-sink on them so I cant tell exactly
    > what on it.
    >
    >>From the person I obtained it from, I know its an x86 compatable cpu

    > with a 'sigma-design' audio/video co-processor. I have no idea, how big
    > the flash disk is, nor, how much ram on board.
    >
    > When I power it on, it says Non System Boot Disk, which suggest the DOM
    > is blank and I should be able to install linux on it.
    >
    > I dont have much experience in building toolchains or kernals, so what
    > would be some suggestions on a (tiny) distro that might work without
    > much modification that could detect some of the basic hardware (usb,
    > ethernet)?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Ben

    If the board is anything close to a PC architecture and supports booting
    from Ethernet, then set up a bootp server to have the board load a basic
    kernel and a ramdisk image with a simple root filesystem and a shell, all
    from the network. You can then investigate what hardware is identified by
    Linux. Try the information at this link:
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO...ess-HOWTO.html

    Rob

+ Reply to Thread