Embedded newbie seeks help - Embedded

This is a discussion on Embedded newbie seeks help - Embedded ; I've just been hired by a company to do some programming, among other things... I've got gobs of C experience, but no experience with embedded systems. They've been using PLCs and special built controllers, but are running up against cost, ...

  1. Embedded newbie seeks help

    I've just been hired by a company to do some programming, among other
    things...

    I've got gobs of C experience, but no experience with embedded systems.

    They've been using PLCs and special built controllers, but are running up
    against cost, power, and production run issues.

    I've been trying to persuade them to use a portable hardware platform,
    something that runs linux and can be programmed using C, that way, if the
    hardware platform goes away, all we have to do is re-write some I/O
    functions and not the whole program.

    To that end, I need some basic advice:

    A book or web reference for embdedded programming in C and linux. I've
    found a few; it would be nice to have a solid background before I make the
    real pitch.

    A suitable hardware platform:

    Keypad input, 16 DIO, 1 or 2 A/D IO, two serial ports, LCD character
    display output. The cost in small quantities (<10) under $100 or as close
    to $100 as possible; must be able to withstand temperature extremes -
    below freezing to hot, hot, hot. Most of what I've found are units that
    have lots of stuff we don't need - ethernet, USB, etc, and lack some
    things we need, like the keypad input.

    Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

    --Yan

    --

    use munged address above to email me
    SpamTrap DoMeNow@seiner.com

  2. Re: Embedded newbie seeks help

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 06:18:00 -0800, Captain Dondo
    wrote:

    gumstix.com? tern.com/acore.htm?