FTP in user application - Embedded

This is a discussion on FTP in user application - Embedded ; Hello, my board should to get a file from a remote server by the FTP protocol, in user application. What is a set of functions calls that I should use on the board, like: to establish FTP connection, to pass ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: FTP in user application

  1. FTP in user application

    Hello,
    my board should to get a file from a remote server by the FTP protocol, in
    user application.
    What is a set of functions calls that I should use on the board, like:
    to establish FTP connection,
    to pass user&password, etc.

    I expect, after a connection with the FTP server is established, I should to
    use the open(), read(), etc. functions.
    Anybody can send me example?
    Thank you.



  2. Re: FTP in user application

    Prital wrote:
    > Hello,
    > my board should to get a file from a remote server by the FTP protocol, in
    > user application.
    > What is a set of functions calls that I should use on the board, like:
    > to establish FTP connection,
    > to pass user&password, etc.
    >
    > I expect, after a connection with the FTP server is established, I should to
    > use the open(), read(), etc. functions.
    > Anybody can send me example?
    > Thank you.
    >


    FTP runs on top of TCP, so you need two TCP (stream) sockets
    and use the FTP protocol to effect the transfer.

    The protocol details are in RFC 959 .

    Next time, use Google first: it gave nearly two million
    hits in 600 ms, and the link was on the first page.

    --

    Tauno Voipio
    tauno voipio (at) iki fi



  3. Re: FTP in user application

    Tauno Voipio wrote:

    > Next time, use Google first: it gave nearly two million
    > hits in 600 ms, and the link was on the first page.


    Sometimes reading this group you get the impression that people want to
    come on and get someone else to write their code and do their work for
    them for free. The questions are open-ended to the point of
    ridiculousness, ie "how can I port Linux to my custom board ?" or "how
    do I write code that uses FTP ?".

  4. Re: FTP in user application

    On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 15:00:57 +0000, "Geronimo W. Christ Esq"
    wrote:

    >Tauno Voipio wrote:
    >
    >> Next time, use Google first: it gave nearly two million
    >> hits in 600 ms, and the link was on the first page.

    >
    >Sometimes reading this group you get the impression that people want to
    >come on and get someone else to write their code and do their work for
    >them for free. The questions are open-ended to the point of
    >ridiculousness, ie "how can I port Linux to my custom board ?" or "how
    >do I write code that uses FTP ?".


    I do not think this is always the case. Sometimes one works with
    various things at a high level. e.g. using a ftp server or ftp client
    to transfer files. One then might get a problem where one thinks,
    gee something like ftp would do the job I want. If one then google
    for a term like ftp, one gets a hel of a lot of links, which has got
    basically buggerall to do with ftp. If one knows to search fro ftp +
    RFC, then one would get the protocol info. Sometimes one just
    needs the right set of search terms to get things out of google.

    IMHO of course

    Regards
    Anton Erasmus



  5. Re: FTP in user application

    Anton Erasmus wrote:

    > I do not think this is always the case.


    I agree with your general sentiment, sometimes you need a pointer in the
    right direction and it's nice to get people who already did it to point
    you that way.

    But there's still a lot of "figure it out for me" stuff that can't be
    dealt with under that banner. There's a case in point just posted today.
    Look for the post with the subject line "Port Linux on PDA".

  6. Re: FTP in user application

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:47:04 +0100, "Geronimo W. Christ Esq"
    wrote:

    >Anton Erasmus wrote:
    >
    >> I do not think this is always the case.

    >
    >I agree with your general sentiment, sometimes you need a pointer in the
    >right direction and it's nice to get people who already did it to point
    >you that way.
    >
    >But there's still a lot of "figure it out for me" stuff that can't be
    >dealt with under that banner. There's a case in point just posted today.
    >Look for the post with the subject line "Port Linux on PDA".


    Yes, I agree that the "Port Linux on PDA" question is very specific
    in the results wanted without asking a proper answerable question
    within the framework of usenet.

    Regards
    Anton Erasmus




+ Reply to Thread